Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

Just for those who still think we won’t get a deal with the EU here is the reason we will.

It is in both the UK’s and the EU27’s economic interests to agree such a deal. Concerning goods, it is arguably more in the EU27’s interests that tariff-free trade continues than in the UK’s as it runs such an enormous visible trade surplus with the UK. According to the latest figures the UK’s visible trade deficit with the EU was £89.0bn in 2015. The deficit with Germany alone was £31.1bn. Deficits were also sizeable with the Netherlands (£14.8bn), Belgium-Luxembourg (£9.5bn), Italy (£7.5bn), France (6.4bn), and Spain (£5.1bn).

Chuck in 40 billion and you’ll forgive me for not listening to continued project fear which ultimately has 1 aim and that is to reverse what the people voted for.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Just for those who still think we won’t get a deal with the EU here is the reason we will.

I've never thought for a minute that we won't get a deal - we will get a deal of some sort, who knows if it will be good or bad, I guess we'll soon find out

If it's all so cut and dried Mounts.....why have we not agreed something already, and why are our Government giving away loads of concessions and happily bending over?

• Site Supporter

I've never thought for a minute that we won't get a deal - we will get a deal of some sort, who knows if it will be good or bad, I guess we'll soon find out

If it's all so cut and dried Mounts.....why have we not agreed something already, and why are our Government giving away loads of concessions and happily bending over?

Dominic Raab dropped all the cards we were holding, he bent down to pick them up.

It is in both the UK’s and the EU27’s economic interests to agree such a deal. Concerning goods, it is arguably more in the EU27’s interests that tariff-free trade continues than in the UK’s as it runs such an enormous visible trade surplus with the UK. According to the latest figures the UK’s visible trade deficit with the EU was £89.0bn in 2015. The deficit with Germany alone was £31.1bn. Deficits were also sizeable with the Netherlands (£14.8bn), Belgium-Luxembourg (£9.5bn), Italy (£7.5bn), France (6.4bn), and Spain (£5.1bn).

Chuck in 40 billion and you’ll forgive me for not listening to continued project fear which ultimately has 1 aim and that is to reverse what the people voted for.

In the interest having the numbers, here are the more recent figures here, which shows there is still a huge trade deficit with the EU last year

UK imports from the EU were £341 billion (55% of all UK imports). ... The UK had an overall trade deficit of -£67 billion with the EU in 2017. A surplus of £28 billion on trade in services was outweighed by a deficit of £95 billion on trade in goods. The UK had a trade surplus of £41 billion with non-EU countries

Edited by Sweep

Whether we get a deal or not one thing is beyond debate, the German Gvt and industry value the integrity of the Single Market more than they value trade with the UK. So if TM thinks she will get tarrif free trade with the EU, maintain control of our borders, leave the jurisdiction of the ECJ and have the ability to negotiate trade deals freely then she is in for one almighty shock. Good luck with that one Theresa

I don't believe she thinks she will.

That said, if such action affects propserity in these countries, what will their people think of the eu?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.spectator.co.uk/2018/01/europes-biggest-brexit-fear-that-well-flourish-outside-the-eu/amp/

I suppose this reaction may change once the impact of Brexit hits home

Edited by Salford Trotter

it may, it may not. I'm coming round to Mounts way of thinking, in that we won't see even a blip.....pretty much because we aren't actually going to leave, we're going to still be part of the EU in all but name. After much thinking about it, I'm sure this was always TM end game, and she's getting closer to it day by day.

I must admit I’ve not stayed as close to it recently as the whole thing really gets me down

However, isn’t that what TM has proposed? Tarrif free trade on GOODS but not services? Clearly it will mean we will have to follow the EU regulations on these goods without having a say on it, which is shit really but at least the ports won’t meltdown on day 1

If you think about it tarrif free trade with the EU on goods is important as we rely on them a lot for food etc just to get by day to day

We rely on selling our services to them though which will be hit with tariffs but then again it’s easier to trade with the rest of the world on services given that you don’t have to physically transport them through a border

It’s the least worst option for me but can TM sell it to the EU or Parliament??

Like I say, I’ve avoided the subject recently so I might be wrong

That's about right Birchy. It should get through Parliament, the only people who will try and stop it are....ironically.....those on the leave side, as they feel we're giving to much away (hence DD and Boris quitting) - The EU will water it down a touch, as you would expect, but hopefully we'll still be good to go.

My favourite bit is that we won't still have free movement......but people with EU passports can travel here Visa free, and we can do the same going the other way - I bet that will be really well policed  :D

I must admit I’ve not stayed as close to it recently as the whole thing really gets me down

However, isn’t that what TM has proposed? Tarrif free trade on GOODS but not services? Clearly it will mean we will have to follow the EU regulations on these goods without having a say on it, which is shit really but at least the ports won’t meltdown on day 1

If you think about it tarrif free trade with the EU on goods is important as we rely on them a lot for food etc just to get by day to day

We rely on selling our services to them though which will be hit with tariffs but then again it’s easier to trade with the rest of the world on services given that you don’t have to physically transport them through a border

It’s the least worst option for me but can TM sell it to the EU or Parliament??

Like I say, I’ve avoided the subject recently so I might be wrong

Though Barnier has rejected the facilitated customs arrangement so that's off the table. I can see us extending Article 50 if the Chequers agreement gets rejected and will give us more time to think of another idea that won't work for everyone. It's a self-made no win crap situation we are in.

Though Barnier has rejected the facilitated customs arrangement so that's off the table. I can see us extending Article 50 if the Chequers agreement gets rejected and will give us more time to think of another idea that won't work for everyone. It's a self-made no win crap situation we are in.

I don’t think it can

• Members

Simple answer - they are not sincere in their efforts and are surreptitiously trying to keep the UK 'in' as far as possible to placate the political class and the capitalists..

Can't have a Remainer steering the ship.

Simple answer - they are not sincere in their efforts and are surreptitiously trying to keep the UK 'in' as far as possible to placate the political class and the capitalists..

Quite correct. It’s becoming very clear every time Barnier says no strengthens his position he’s playing our government like a fiddle and whipping up anti Brexit support in a thinly veiled attempt to stop us leaving and to create pressure for our government.

Sadly our country is being undermined by those from within who also share Barnier and the EU aims.

I think Barnier and the rest of his EU cohorts underestimate the Anti EU feeling here in the UK. It’s one thing bullying Ireland into staying and another thing trying to bully the UK into staying.

We must leave the deal on table, walk away halt negotiations and seriously take the no deal route.

That is the best course of action that we can take to ensure we get the very best deal.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

I agree, been saying it for ages, but we voted her in, so we have to trust her.

I'm not sure who else could do it really. Maybe DD, possibly JRM but he's a dick....and certainly not Boris, as we all know he's a remainer at heart as well, who only jumped to "leave" to try and get the top job.

We must leave the deal on table, walk away halt negotiations and seriously take the no deal route.

You do know there is zero chance of that happening whilst May is in charge don't you. She wants to stay, and has been doing all she can to ensure we do, all the way through the process

Do we have a referendum to decide whether we should have a referendum?

It's obvious what will happen.....well it's not, but is is inconceivable for the following to happen.

They'll agree a shit deal on our behalf, then offer another vote on if we should take it or not.

The deal will be so shit, most will vote to reject and we'll stay in by default

It can if there is a significant event happening such as a change of leader, General Election or a second referendum. If we heading for a no deal brexit i think heads will roll

No, I mean I don’t think it can within EU rules. Once the 2 year clock is ticking, that’s it