Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

5 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Rees Mogg has written a letter explaining why he can’t support it. Mainly boils down to Customs Union membership and thus inability to make our own decisions.

Also seems if backstop applies then we are under ECJ and EU rules.

Rather this than no deal but then it’s crystal clear to anyone with a brain that we shouldn’t be leaving. I think that is crystal clear now. I’ve not been in favour of this before but I do now think a second vote is the only way this can be resolved. A bad deal, no deal or remain. Let the public decide.

What would be your choices on the ballot sheet?

6 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Rees Mogg has written a letter explaining why he can’t support it. Mainly boils down to Customs Union membership and thus inability to make our own decisions.

Also seems if backstop applies then we are under ECJ and EU rules.

Rather this than no deal but then it’s crystal clear to anyone with a brain that we shouldn’t be leaving. I think that is crystal clear now. I’ve not been in favour of this before but I do now think a second vote is the only way this can be resolved. A bad deal, no deal or remain. Let the public decide.

Remain has already already been voted against twice so it would  WTO or this deal. How ever it’s now down to parliament.

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Liberal Democrats fought the last election on a remain agenda and got battered. 

General elections are not barometers for single policy issues.

The Tories fought the last election on the basis that Brexit meant leaving the customs union....hows that working for them?

6 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

General elections are not barometers for single policy issues.

The Tories fought the last election on the basis that Brexit meant leaving the customs union....hows that working for them?

You’ve not seen the deal yet and even if it does outline staying in the CU forever what’s the chance of getting that through parliament? 

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

You’ve not seen the deal yet and even if it does outline staying in the CU forever what’s the chance of getting that through parliament? 

It’s either that or a hard border in Ireland. 

Which do you reckon is most likely to happen? 

• Site Supporter

Fuckn incredible how many amateur lawyers have read a 500 page document so quickly and decided it’s a disaster.

im not saying the deal looks good, bad or indifferent but a few headline points won’t tell the full story for sure.

i don’t even know why I’m commenting here btw, one thing for 100% sure is not everyone will be pleased even if we got the whole fuckn world handed to us, some would want the universe

Just now, Biggish Dave said:

Fuckn incredible how many amateur lawyers have read a 500 page document so quickly and decided it’s a disaster.

im not saying the deal looks good, bad or indifferent but a few headline points won’t tell the full story for sure.

i don’t even know why I’m commenting here btw, one thing for 100% sure is not everyone will be pleased even if we got the whole fuckn world handed to us, some would want the universe

To be fair - I think at this stage - most of us would just settle for something that wasn't just a complete clusterfuck

12 minutes ago, gonzo said:

So how do we avoid a hard border in Ireland and leave the CU?

There’s no need for hard border, and no need to be in the custom union. It’s been engineered by the EU and it seems May has gone along with it either knowingly or if not stupidly. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

There’s no need for hard border, and no need to be in the custom union. It’s been engineered by the EU and it seems May has gone along with it either knowingly or if not stupidly. 

Even your beloved WTO have said there will have to be a hard border in Ireland if we leave with no deal and renegotiate our WTO membership. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. No wonder you block everyone who lives in the real world. 

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

The text was only published an hour ago, and it's 600 pages long, but I'm sure Malc has already read it and highlighted his favourite bits. 

My copy only has 585 pages. Am I missing something?

Edited by MalcolmW
grammar

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

My copy only has 585 pages. AmI missing something?

Was waiting for that. No, I was rounding up. Have you wasted your time reading it yet? 

Edited by Cheese

I don’t see how any Brexit supporting MP can support this deal because the essence of it is that the Brexit campaign was based entirely upon lies.

Equally May’s last election campaign was also based on lies. The lie that we could get everything from the EU with no downside.

Problem for May is the remain side of her party are equally as unhappy with the NI minister, a remainer, resigning as he cannot support the deal.

9 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

I don’t see how any Brexit supporting MP can support this deal because the essence of it is that the Brexit campaign was based entirely upon lies.

Equally May’s last election campaign was also based on lies. The lie that we could get everything from the EU with no downside.

Problem for May is the remain side of her party are equally as unhappy with the NI minister, a remainer, resigning as he cannot support the deal.

The referendum was a simple leave or remain vote, leave won it was that simple and whatever your thoughts on the leave campaign, the same can be said about the remain campaign.

Edited by Mounts Kipper