Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, Spider said:

No, but a decent percentage was.

But we didn't see it as export - it's mainly Ireland. 

I will caveat this by saying it's under a no deal scenario. But we are 7 weeks off and still fuck all news. That is ridiculous.

It is ridiculous I agree. 

Are European competitors, importing into the UK, and if so, could some of your losses be offset be gaining home based customers who will also have to pay more for their imports?

No doubt an oversimplification, but is it possible?

• Site Supporter
Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It is ridiculous I agree. 

Are European competitors, importing into the UK, and if so, could some of your losses be offset be gaining home based customers who will also have to pay more for their imports?

No doubt an oversimplification, but is it possible?

The main problem for us is that we have competitors on the continent who have struggled to steal any customers.

Eg, an Irish customer was better buying off us in the UK for pricing (exchange rates helped) and proximity.

Now, they can buy from Holland/Portugal and pay a fraction more but be certain they can trade seamlessly. Delivery and stock are vital. The whole uncertainty of Brexit has them running for cover. 

I can't honestly say this any other way - They cannot risk us not being able to deliver. Therefore, they are playing it safe and using EU suppliers.

They don't want to, but projects going on this year must be completed so at the absolute best, we've lost them for 2019. That's not good.

We'll survive, but I know many won't.

It's just lost revenue. 

My retirement home in Spain will have to wait for the windfall Brexit brings in the next 20/25 years.

Guest Nordkurve
15 minutes ago, Spider said:

The main problem for us is that we have competitors on the continent who have struggled to steal any customers.

Eg, an Irish customer was better buying off us in the UK for pricing (exchange rates helped) and proximity.

Now, they can buy from Holland/Portugal and pay a fraction more but be certain they can trade seamlessly. Delivery and stock are vital. The whole uncertainty of Brexit has them running for cover. 

I can't honestly say this any other way - They cannot risk us not being able to deliver. Therefore, they are playing it safe and using EU suppliers.

They don't want to, but projects going on this year must be completed so at the absolute best, we've lost them for 2019. That's not good.

It's just lost revenue. 

My retirement home in Spain will have to wait for the windfall Brexit brings in the next 20/25 years.

You might need to live a bit longer mate:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/shortcuts/2018/jul/24/two-50-or-100-years-when-do-leavers-think-brexit-will-pay-off

25 minutes ago, Spider said:

It's just lost revenue. 

...and this is where the whole thing will fail. Panic and the subsequent domino effect caused by issues you describe here.

Folk are selfish, our people from top to bottom are selfish. As soon as any kind of shit hit even begins to hit the fan, people will panic and pull the plug.

Exactly the same as happened at the first sign of trouble the last time. 

1 hour ago, Spider said:

I've a question 

If it's no deal, we automatically switch to WTO trading terms, correct?

Well I've had to spend the last day or 2 figuring these out for the final remnants of our export customers.

Seamless? yyyyyeeeeaaaahhhhhhhh oooookkkkaaaaayyyyyyyyy then.

Go here: http://tariffdata.wto.org/ReportersAndProducts.aspx

Now, find the product you sell (and bear in mind it's somewhat vague in places) and it will tell you what the tariff is.

Next, remember that there are currently NO tariffs between the UK and other EU members. 

Then, add the tariff for your product on to the price you're selling at.

Finally, inform your customer that their price will be going UP under a WTO scenario for no reason whatsoever, then listen to them piss themselves down the line at you.

Most amusingly of all - let them ask you for the millionth time what the plan is on the 29th March. For a further giggle, they will then tell you that as no solid answer is forthcoming, they're off.

Isn’t there a period of grace where current tariffs are honoured. Worth checking, if so nothing changes on 29th even if we drop out without a deal. 

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Isn’t there a period of grace where current tariffs are honoured. Worth checking, if so nothing changes on 29th even if we drop out without a deal. 

Mounts, please read what I am writing. This bit here:

The customers are not prepared to risk the unknown. If I went over and said "there might be a period of grace..." they'd be closing their laptops by the time I'd said "might be"

They don't like maybe's, they like certainty.

Yes, it may all turn out fine by the end of the year, but that's not what they want.

Here, at the coal face, people make decision based on as much certainty as they can get.

Brexit is the least certain chain of events in our lifetime. 

1 hour ago, Nordkurve said:

I agree, especially about the fact the North East is underfunded, and they didn't give a shit about the Steel industry up there, but the fact is, what they did, or the way they did it more specifically was illegal. Ironically, I imagine it would have had to get EU approval first !

Exactly EU regulations,  that’s why steel in North East and Port Talbot couldn’t be helped to keep going by the Government, but after the 29th we can do what’s best for US

41 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

That’s why I said worth checking it and if there is there is no uncertainty. TBH surprised you’ve not checked it yourself. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-uk-leave-no-deal-what-happens-eu-talks-david-davis-a8460416.html

Just checked 2 year transition period would be an end to uncertainty for your customers.   Just checked the transition only kicks in when WA signed which of course it is but not passed through parliament. That needs clarifying by both parties ASAP for the likes of your company. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-uk-leave-no-deal-what-happens-eu-talks-david-davis-a8460416.html

Just checked 2 year transition period would be an end to uncertainty for your customers.   Just checked the transition only kicks in when WA signed which of course it is but not passed through parliament. That needs clarifying by both parties ASAP for the likes of your company. 

No

It needed doing 5 months ago when our customers required clarification before putting projects in place.

I know you're only trying to help mate, but honestly you've got to see it from THEIR point of view.

I could not lie and give them assurances if I had none to give them.

It's not about us, it's about what they see from this side of the water.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Spider said:

I've a question 

If it's no deal, we automatically switch to WTO trading terms, correct?

Well I've had to spend the last day or 2 figuring these out for the final remnants of our export customers.

Seamless? yyyyyeeeeaaaahhhhhhhh oooookkkkaaaaayyyyyyyyy then.

Go here: http://tariffdata.wto.org/ReportersAndProducts.aspx

Now, find the product you sell (and bear in mind it's somewhat vague in places) and it will tell you what the tariff is.

Next, remember that there are currently NO tariffs between the UK and other EU members. 

Then, add the tariff for your product on to the price you're selling at.

Finally, inform your customer that their price will be going UP under a WTO scenario for no reason whatsoever, then listen to them piss themselves down the line at you.

Most amusingly of all - let them ask you for the millionth time what the plan is on the 29th March. For a further giggle, they will then tell you that as no solid answer is forthcoming, they're off.

i had to ship one pallet to switzerland last week

took hours of fcuking about

france, one phone call of about 2 minutes

51 minutes ago, Spider said:

No

It needed doing 5 months ago when our customers required clarification before putting projects in place.

I know you're only trying to help mate, but honestly you've got to see it from THEIR point of view.

I could not lie and give them assurances if I had none to give them.

It's not about us, it's about what they see from this side of the water.

Sympathies with you on this, the government and EU need to get this sorted with the utmost urgency. 

4 hours ago, Spider said:

No, but a decent percentage was.

But we didn't see it as export - it's mainly Ireland. 

I will caveat this by saying it's under a no deal scenario. But we are 7 weeks off and still fuck all news. That is ridiculous.

Watch BBC1s documentary from last night on the EU/Greece financial crunch. They only make hard decisions at the latest possible time (or even later!).

1 hour ago, MalcolmW said:

Watch BBC1s documentary from last night on the EU/Greece financial crunch. They only make hard decisions at the latest possible time (or even later!).

Brilliant watch that. Came away with the feeling that the main players were rather helpful and benign as opposed to some autocratic dictatorship. 

1 minute ago, Moon boy said:

Try telling that to Greece

Watching the programme made me reconsider my position. I'd always sympathised with Greece, Tspiras and enjoyed listening to Varoufakis as an orator, but watching it from the perspective of the EU was an eye opener. Greece were fucked and did their level best to bite the hand that was trying to save them - and by extension the rest of Eurioe.

• Site Supporter

This backstop issue, no one wants but the deal can’t be done without it which will lead to a hard border anyway.

May says she’s going to get some amendments to it, the EU says it’s non negotiable.

seems to be potential stalemate but she’s in Belfast today preaching her unionism political heritage, as if onthe charm offensive.

wouldnt she be very clever if the amendment she has in mind is the back stop doesn’t exist/ no time limit, however, if no border solution, technology or whatever is found after the transition, then NI reverts to the EU original plan of special economic area and the rest of the UK leaves.

EU can hardly refuse as it was their plan initially, the DUP will go apeshit but they don’t even represent all unionists never mind all NI so may be on the charm today to get others on side and fuck them off. Border issue solved, leave solved for the majority of the Uk everyone happy apart from Arlenes mob. 

May be far fetched, just a thought on a possibility,not a prediction or even think it will happen, just think it could.