Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

1 hour ago, Farrelli said:

It was a combination of older folk who did not want to go in the common market originally (ie. Malc), gullible folk who were given false promises (as per the article posted), poor people who saw a chance to bloody the nose of the governemnt and people who see immigration from the EU as our biggest issue (when it is actually the opposite). These were the people who Farage and co could see were ripe for the picking. 

And what do you class as older folk? 

The family I work for now are worth over 500 million, he’s in his early 50s, he, his wife and 3 of his 4 kids (18 - 22) all voted leave. Which of your catergories do they come under? 

1 hour ago, MalcolmW said:

I think you'll find that a majority of those who voted Remain in 1975 and voted again in 2016 voted to Leave second time around.

Why do you think that is?

Because they have a clue?

Did I vote to leave because I was lied to?

because I’m fick?

Edited by boltondiver

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, royal white said:

The family I work for now are worth over 500 million, he’s in his early 50s, he, his wife and 3 of his 4 kids (18 - 22) all voted leave. Which of your catergories do they come under? 

Don't they fancy talking a punt at owning a thriving championship football club?

The rich enough to not give a fuck either way.

They’ll create a new category

And they want to leave? 

I'd probably not want to rock the boat if I had that amount of cash. Bit counterintuitive to want out of a system which sounds like it's done very well for them?

Don't know their circumstances of course.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, royal white said:

Over 17 million? Really? 

Still don't get it. We were told it will be a disaster the day after the vote. No one believed it. It wasn't.

Still the same patronising clap trap, just insults to justify remaining.

Still going on, increasingly so in the house of commons.

And "experts" in the media scratching their heads as to why there's an increase in 'populism' in the world.

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, kent_white said:

And they want to leave? 

I'd probably not want to rock the boat if I had that amount of cash. Bit counterintuitive to want out of a system which sounds like it's done very well for them?

Maybe they feel the system has hampered them and they could have achieved more?

19 minutes ago, kent_white said:

And they want to leave? 

I’m confident he knows what’s  best for his thriving business 

9 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Maybe they feel the system has hampered them and they could have achieved more?

Perhaps they have one vote each and they wanted to use it for their perceived view that it was best for the country

Or it was against their wealth, but their values and principles were more important.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, boltondiver said:

Perhaps they have one vote each and they wanted to use it for their perceived view that it was best for the country

Or it was against their wealth, but their values and principles were more important.

I thought us leavers were too thick, racist and selfish to be altruistic and perceptive of opportunity?

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I thought us leavers were too thick, racist and selfish to be altruistic and perceptive of opportunity?

And old

And thick skinned!

Edited by boltondiver

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, boltondiver said:

And old

And thick skinned!

True.

Interesting, (well nearly), I caught a bit on the BBC parliament channel earlier, it was the house of lords which I'd usually not bother with, but by chance a lady was talking about something which had been touched upon previously within a brexit debate before the meaningful vote.

Thankfully, it clarified a couple of things for me: article/section of the Vienna convention, would probably mean that the EU couldn't keep the UK in the backstop.

Moreover the WA wouldn't override the Vienna convention, because of various clauses.

The lady concerned explained that a number of top international lawyers were of that opinion, and a number weren't.

Thus it would end up in very long-winded legal deliberations. As she put it "this should focus minds of the EU" with regard to current negotiations.

21 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

True.

Interesting, (well nearly), I caught a bit on the BBC parliament channel earlier, it was the house of lords which I'd usually not bother with, but by chance a lady was talking about something which had been touched upon previously within a brexit debate before the meaningful vote.

Thankfully, it clarified a couple of things for me: article/section of the Vienna convention, would probably mean that the EU couldn't keep the UK in the backstop.

Moreover the WA wouldn't override the Vienna convention, because of various clauses.

The lady concerned explained that a number of top international lawyers were of that opinion, and a number weren't.

Thus it would end up in very long-winded legal deliberations. As she put it "this should focus minds of the EU" with regard to current negotiations.

so why is the backstop an issue then ?

4 hours ago, Farrelli said:

It was a combination of older folk who did not want to go in the common market originally (ie. Malc), gullible folk who were given false promises (as per the article posted), poor people who saw a chance to bloody the nose of the governemnt and people who see immigration from the EU as our biggest issue (when it is actually the opposite). These were the people who Farage and co could see were ripe for the picking. 

Who voted Remain then?