Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wrexham

BoltonBoy80

Sad to say that I didn't go to any of the White Hot games - Anfield, Goodison or Highbury

Daughters born in 92 and 95 and I was on a complete ban from away games around that time - why did I ever listen to the first Mrs Manc? Got divorced from her and brought up two rabid BWFC daughters

HBATT?

The 3 wins at OT in my life time were unbelievable results given how much better they were than us. It was just pure grit, spirit and doggedness that got us those results, especially the 2 wins in the early noughties as the United teams we beat were full of exceptional players, looking back how the fuck did we do that.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

The first of those wins could perhaps be explicable because Ferguson picked a weakened team but the second was against a full strength side and with us in the midst of what proved to be a poor start to that season. It was an absolutely remarkable result.

I remember Wrexham but would have been about 8 at the time.

Was with my Dad, brother and a mate - looking back my Dad was a bit mental taking three young lads to that game but it was ace :) 

Saw folk getting bricked/bottled and claret everywhere.  Some kind lads squeezed us all into a little enclave in the paddock behind the goal that was fairly secure.

It was a bit panicky getting back to the car as I kept losing my Dad but the sight of Wanderers fans carrying the goal posts down the street will stay with me forever!  I feel getting rid of terraces took those kind of days (as an adult) away from me.  Not sure if that's a good thing or not ;) 

Did you see bricks etc at Wrexham. Can't remember anything like that. Just celebrating afterwards with players coming out.

Some bottles being thrown on the way in (not sure by who) and bricks/coins at the side of the stand.  Two fellas had to leave to get treatment.  Don't think I'd ever seen as much blood. 

That's when a group of lads herded us into a small walled off section.  If that was you I'm still grateful as I admit to almost shitting myself at that point :) 

I just remember a load of bother outside the petrol station across the road just up from the away end. Really nasty stuff with large groups of Wrexham picking off small numbers of non-hoolies. Then about a dozen Bolton arrived and caused absolute carnage with Wrexham probably regretting what they started. I was never into hooliganism but I’ve never been so happy seeing a small group of not rights causing so much mayhem. Wrexham got what they deserved that day

Mentioned on here but I got to know one of their frontline main lads through awol a few years ago. Jay will know him, he said bolton had the biggest mob Wrexham had ever seen that day and was the type of day they just wrote off as a bad one as they stood no chance.