Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Holidays

embankment

5 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

The return flights have shifted from sparrow fart in the morning to around 10:30 am an' all so that's another €25 saved on taxi fare for misers like me.

A while since, but have done the bus back to the airport from the beach resorts down south. Think it only stopped a small handful of times. Worth the saving over a taxi if there’s only 1 or 2 of you. 

I/we go quite often (Las Palmas) and get the buses all over the island so I hate having to fork out for a taxi for those early flights home (especially when I'm on my tod).

Flights in are later though (8:45pm arrival - probably out of the airport by then though) - so swings and roundabouts.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

16 minutes ago, Smiley said:

FML! How will they make money on that??? Great price. 

Still contemplating Fuerteventura in Feb. Mrs finally secured a permanent job again, starting early Jan, so money worries eased. 

Been fuerteventura a few times love the place.We always go corralejo plenty of restaurants and bars.As a bonus you don't get many young kids screaming the place down

42 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I/we go quite often (Las Palmas) and get the buses all over the island so I hate having to fork out for a taxi for those early flights home (especially when I'm on my tod).

Flights in are later though (8:45pm arrival - probably out of the airport by then though) - so swings and roundabouts.

Las Palmas is a great city, stayed there for a long weekend a few years back 

Great city beach, reminds me of Barcelona 

2 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Las Palmas is a great city, stayed there for a long weekend a few years back 

Great city beach, reminds me of Barcelona 

Love cities and don't like it quiet but love beaches and the sea - so love it there, go a lot, there's something for everyone on the 'beachlets' of Las Canteras, from surfing/bodyboarding/surf swimming etc. down on La Cicer to paddling and serenity with the golden set up near La Puntilla.

The beach at El Confital - just past the point on La Isleta is worth a walk too. The experts surf up there - waves break onto rocks, real Keanu and Swayze stuff :)

I could (and might) retire there (Las Palmas).

Santander is another city with a great beach (El Sardinero) - one can also have a few tins of ale on the beach and then walk four or five minutes to a match - although Racing have had a massive fall from La Liga grace of late.

Edited by Youri McAnespie
More stuff

3 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Love cities and don't like it quiet bit love beaches - so love it there, go a lot, there's something for everyone on the 'beachlets' of Las Canteras, from surfing/bodyboarding/surf swimming etc. down on La Cicer to paddling a serenity with the golden set up near La Puntilla.

The beach at El Confital - just past the point on La Isleta is worth a walk too. The experts surf up there - waves break onto rocks, real Keanu and Swayze stuff :)

I could (and might) retire there (Las Palmas).

Probably been a dozen times to GC and only bothered to venture into LP on the one occasion. Usually on family type holidays, so never really got the chance. Seems like I missed out. Have hired cars and jeeps in the past and driven up into the hills, etc.

Some might find parts a bit down at heel, but that's how I like it...

I love being one of a handful heading north on arrival - you're guaranteed the weather in the south but wouldn't stay anywhere but Las Palmas (Las Canteras) now.

Arucas is a good day out and short bus ride from L.P.

Go early for a Rum Factory tour ;) (shuts at 2pm).

5 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I found that we couldn’t give our money away when we went 

partly due to the exchange rate at the time (1/1.35), partly because it’s just cheap as chips in the canaries 

It's cheap eating, booze, transport, shopping...Use Revolut and withdraw with it at La Caixa banks and you're laughing - always come back with 'change' for next time.

8 hours ago, Dr Faustus said:

Missus wants to do New York around November time for our 40th- hit me with it; best speaking with Traf for flights etc?

Can’t recommend them as haven’t flown long haul with them - but Jet2 are usually dirt cheap flights to NYC in Nov and early Dec. 

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Smiley said:

Can’t recommend them as haven’t flown long haul with them - but Jet2 are usually dirt cheap flights to NYC in Nov and early Dec. 

We flew out to NYC on British Airways and back with American Airlines. The two, in terms of service, don't compare. BA were absolutely top notch. I really wouldn't fancy the same trip with Jet2.

I think you will generally find Norwegian the cheapest for direct flights U.K. to NYC, problem is it’s Gatwick or one of the Scottish airports (Edinburgh I think) 

From Manc it’s via Ireland or Iceland that works out cheapest. To be fair though you should be able to get on a Thomas Cook flight direct from Manchester for around £400 return if you book in good time 

Hotels can get pricey, similar to London I suppose. Know a few have done Air B&B in NYC and had a result 

Been twice, love the place 

Edited by birch-chorley

15 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Apparently the 'I got the shits and my holiday was ruined' lying compo tramps claiming are a real negative drain on Thomas Cook at present. So blame them if they go tits up before you travel.

Belter in todays paper about the couple from Chorley, theyve been hit with a £30k legal bill :-)