Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Speed Camera Watch

matty2094

Just now, Winchester White said:

Some also ask if you have been on a speed awareness course - at least I am sure I read that somewhere.

I don't think you have to tell them about speed awareness courses but most insurance companies are now asking for your driving licence number which they can use to check up if you've been honest about any points you may have. You don't have to give them your licence number.

4 hours ago, gonzo said:

It’s a bit OTT on grain road isn’t it fuck me.

3 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

Accident stats from knobheads thinking they're Ken Block probably have forced their hand. 

Sadly, you're both right.

3 hours ago, gonzo said:

You have to declare points on your license don’t you?

I’m sure you do 

i wrote a car off and claimed on my insurance about ten years ago, during the claim call the operator spoke to the DVLA with me still on the line to check how many points I had 

I think they were basically trying to get out of paying me any money by negating my cover 

• Site Supporter
17 hours ago, gonzo said:

You have to declare points on your license don’t you?

Mine wasn't points, it was Speed Awareness Course.

17 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Some also ask if you have been on a speed awareness course - at least I am sure I read that somewhere.

I was advised, on my speed awareness course, that my presence there was fuck all to do with my insurer and they weren't entitled to ask.

I got done driving through Penistone on the way to Sheffield. As you come out of a National Speed Limit there is a big gable end facing you with polka dots on it. Something to take your eye away from the camera, the bastards!

14 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I was advised, on my speed awareness course, that my presence there was fuck all to do with my insurer and they weren't entitled to ask.

I got done driving through Penistone on the way to Sheffield. As you come out of a National Speed Limit there is a big gable end facing you with polka dots on it. Something to take your eye away from the camera, the bastards!

They can ask what they want to. If you don't truthfully answer and they find out, you have committed insurance fraud. 

49 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Where on earth did Penistone get its name from?

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, boltondiver said:

Where on earth did Penistone get its name from?

From Wiki

Etymology

The place-name 'Penistone' is first attested in the Domesday Book of 1086, where it appears as Pengestone and Pangeston. Penistone is situated on a high ridge, which is believed to be the source of its name.[3] Penistone derives from penn in Old Welsh, which means head, end, top, height or hill, and the Old English ing, a place-name forming suffix and tun, an enclosure, farmstead, village or estate. It most likely means a farm or village at or called Penning.[4] It has frequently been noted on lists of unusual place names because it contains the word penis.[5][6]

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

They can ask what they want to. If you don't truthfully answer and they find out, you have committed insurance fraud. 

What they ask is along the lines of, "Do you have any convictions in the last X number of years."

The correct answer, if you've been on a speed awareness course is NO.

There is no fraud involved.

• Site Supporter
On 11/10/2018 at 09:38, bwfcfan5 said:

However, forces can set cameras to go off if only 1mph above speed limit. If they choose. At least that is my understanding. 

Hence I quoted the ACPO recommendation, not the law of the land.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MickyD said:

What they ask is along the lines of, "Do you have any convictions in the last X number of years."

though if they ask you "have you been on a speed awareness course", you are meant to say yes (if you have)

but

they never do, I don't think I've ever been asked anyway

I did once forget to tell them about 3 points for about 18 months, when I got round to it, they just backdated the additional payments required into my payments moving forward

2 hours ago, MickyD said:

Yep. True.

But some insurers ask ‘Have you been on a speed awareness course in the last X months/years?’ 

32 minutes ago, freds dad said:

If you have but you don't admit to it how would the insurance company find out?

They cannot now. However, the risk is if they get access to check in the future. Or if the system changed and DVLA maintained the database.

A few companies do ask. But easiest thing is just pick one of the many who don’t. 

44 minutes ago, freds dad said:

If you have but you don't admit to it how would the insurance company find out?

In the same way you could lie about other things, like living in an area with a high risk postcode but insuring the car at a different address 

It could easily come out should a claim be made 

1 hour ago, DazBob said:

What would you know about it?

I'm a cunt who works in insurance

Some people will just crack on and avoid telling the insurer what they've asked to save a few quid then call the insurance company crooks when they don't pay out.