Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Annual weightloss/get fit thread

gonzo

feel like I've been in a train wreck today 

attempted my 2nd backyard ultra on Saturday, completely under prepared, got to 8 laps, which is 8 hours and approx 33 miles & 1700m elevation 

well done to @Smiley who completed the full 12 loops, mega achievement on a brutal route 

back again next year 

11 minutes ago, L/H White said:

attempted my 2nd backyard ultra on Saturday, completely under prepared, got to 8 laps, which is 8 hours and approx 33 miles & 1700m elevation 

well done to @Smiley who completed the full 12 loops, mega achievement on a brutal route 

back again next year 

You must have some garden

• Members
1 hour ago, Big E said:

That’s a shame. A nice lap of the pitch would be good 

Did one a few years back that was laps of Arsenal's ground 

At the end you could go into the stadium for a photo with their mascot. I didn't bother 

I bet having thousands of runners going into a stadium and doing a lap of the pitch would be a logistical nightmare 

17 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Did one a few years back that was laps of Arsenal's ground 

At the end you could go into the stadium for a photo with their mascot. I didn't bother 

I bet having thousands of runners going into a stadium and doing a lap of the pitch would be a logistical nightmare 

I can’t see it being that hard. They do it at Blackburn 

• Members
1 minute ago, Big E said:

I can’t see it being that hard. They do it at Blackburn 

You'd have a load of runners turning up at various times, going through the entrances, going around the edge of the pitch and having to tell them don't step on the grass 

I can see why they don't 

1 minute ago, DirtySanchez said:

You'd have a load of runners turning up at various times, going through the entrances, going around the edge of the pitch and having to tell them don't step on the grass 

I can see why they don't 

Yeah but it’s a bit shit running an out and back finishing at the shop. They could easily barrier the grass off and get folk finishing by the dugout. would definitely encourage more people to get involved imo. 

• Members
1 minute ago, Big E said:

Yeah but it’s a bit shit running an out and back finishing at the shop. They could easily barrier the grass off and get folk finishing by the dugout. would definitely encourage more people to get involved imo. 

It is and just doing laps of the Emirates in the rain is no fun 😃

Going in was an optional extra, which they could have done at the run the other day, but making it part of the run would never happen 

21 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Plus runners can be cunts for wanting a PB on Strava so funneling them into a stadium with everyone else would cause uproar 😃

If the end of the race was a lap of the pitch perimeter, there'd be no funnelling surely? Don't finishers of these events get strung out late on?

They could enter the stadium via the ambulance access road under crazy corner, then go anti-clockwise around the pitch, finish level with halfway line and then fuck off out of the stadium via the SW corner exit.

• Members
6 minutes ago, Traf said:

If the end of the race was a lap of the pitch perimeter, there'd be no funnelling surely? Don't finishers of these events get strung out late on?

They could enter the stadium via the ambulance access road under crazy corner, then go anti-clockwise around the pitch, finish level with halfway line and then fuck off out of the stadium via the SW corner exit.

You'd still have to filter them in 

It's not like a match 

You'd have people arriving at unpredictable times 

On 30/04/2024 at 08:17, Not in Crawley said:

Well seems all the hard work is paying off, another week and I'll be below 15 stone for the first time is ages.

Running and then gym 6 days a week with a rest day certainly does the trick!

Well done. I’m teetering at 12st 5.2lbs. First weigh-in for nearly 2 months and only put on 4oz. Still want to get below the 12st mark, do feel it will benefit my running. My last 4 runs have averaged over 23 miles!!! But I’m so sore between, I’m not doing anything else!

Posted (edited)
On 29/04/2024 at 11:38, L/H White said:

back again next year 

Haha. Well done. Good to see you. I did check out your Strava pre-run and thought you looked well under-prepared. TBH most would say I was as well.

50+ miles, 7,700ft of ascent. Finished 12th. Probably 1st in my age category, but not seen any results. It was the toughest thing I’ve done yet. Crazy that the race only started on loop 11, after 11 hours and over 46 miles of running! One minor achievement was when I decided to “race” loop 6 and came first!

Edited by Smiley

1 hour ago, Smiley said:

Haha. Well done. Good to see you. I did check out your Strava pre-run and thought you looked well under-prepared. TBH most would say I was as well.

50+ miles, 7,700ft of ascent. Finished 12th. Probably 1st in my age category, but not seen any results. It was the toughest thing I’ve done yet. Crazy that the race only started on loop 11, after 11 hours and over 46 miles of running! One minor achievement was when I decided to “race” loop 6 and came first!

yeah massively under prepared which cost me 

to much time on the flat and not up rivi bar an hour on a thursday night 

i'll be back next year 100%

3 weeks in now not weighed myself this week but still in calories deficit every day so hopefully lost a few more pounds, interesting though my resting heart rate over 12 months was 67 it’s now at 55… very happy with that improvement.