Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

7 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Let’s start at the other end of the scale. If a child is born with serious health issues that will require a life time of support and maybe even a short life expectancy. Does a financially prudent argument come in to it?

See Ani’s post.

The kids one is a good point, I’d like to think we would always invest more to save a children’s lives as they are at the start of life 

In Africa over 2.5m die each year as they don’t have access to clean water, mainly babies and young children 

If we were spending £400bn with the intention of saving lives then I’d have preferred that we sent the money to Africa for clean Water projects. We would have saved millions upon millions of young lives over the coming decades 

If it was up to me I’d rather save 10 children in Africa than 1 x 80 odd year old here. The 10 children will likely live for another 60 years each, the one 80 odd year old a year or two 

Seems pragmatic to me 

7 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Surely it happens all the time in the NHS, treatment decided based on chances of survival / age 

Besides, I’m not saying don’t treat them, we aren’t spending £400bn treating them. We are spending £400bn d SS bashing the economy so we don’t need to treat them 

If we have £400bn to spend then we could have saved many many more lives than we are doing here. It’s a huge amount of money for the level of risk 

In year 1 this has already cost 20% of what we spent fighting WW2 over 5 years (as a % of GDP). Given year 2, 3 and 4 are looking particularly bleak we could easily end up spending half of what we did in WW2 

Madness 

From my experience with both my parents, the care given at the end of their lives was first class even though it was obvious that neither would pull through. It’s comforting to know that we live in a society that end of life care is there not only for me when the time comes but for everyone, young or old.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

Not sure if this was shared previously.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54433305

This is a chronic waste of money if you ask me, we would have been better serviced spending this sort of money elsewhere. It could have re built all our hospitals and given us all a better health service for generations, saving millions of lives over the next 50 years 

it's a nice thought

but it would never, ever, have happened, covid or otherwise

we'd have found some other way to spunk it up the wall

22 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Surely it happens all the time in the NHS, treatment decided based on chances of survival / age 

Besides, I’m not saying don’t treat them, we aren’t spending £400bn treating them. We are spending £400bn trashing the economy so we don’t need to treat them 

If we have £400bn to spend then we could have saved many many more lives than we are doing here. It’s a huge amount of money for the level of risk 

In year 1 this has already cost 20% of what we spent fighting WW2 over 5 years (as a % of GDP). Given year 2, 3 and 4 are looking particularly bleak we could easily end up spending half of what we did in WW2 

Madness 

The impact on the economy will be shit. How shit we do not know. But this is about the moral fabric of society. IMO we do not give up on a whole sector of society in the way you are saying. These people will have been born during the war and have lived and worked to rebuild the country paying their dues as they go. We do not now abandon them. 
If money is tight let’s stop MPs having a pay rise, stop MPs that claim £50k a year in expenses blocking free meals for kids, get large corporations to pay a greater share. 
If times are going to be tough we need to be in it all together not just the vulnerable being left to die whilst those with their noses in the trough get richer. 

• Moderators
13 hours ago, gonzo said:

For me soon as they opened schools and universities they said goodbye to controlling this virus. Shutting down hospitality and elsewhere is like throwing a glass of water on grenfell tower.

I like this analogy

taking it a step further

opening everything up and cracking on would be like locking the doors, not letting anyone else out, then dousing the building in petrol

what we need is for all the fire brigades to come together and put everything into getting the flames under control and eventually putting the fire out

but half of them are back at the station because they don't think the fire is that bad, or if there is even a fire at all, whilst the rest want to crack on with their game of snooker, because that's what they've always done

9 minutes ago, Ani said:

The impact on the economy will be shit. How shit we do not know. But this is about the moral fabric of society. IMO we do not give up on a whole sector of society in the way you are saying. These people will have been born during the war and have lived and worked to rebuild the country paying their dues as they go. We do not now abandon them. 
If money is tight let’s stop MPs having a pay rise, stop MPs that claim £50k a year in expenses blocking free meals for kids, get large corporations to pay a greater share. 
If times are going to be tough we need to be in it all together not just the vulnerable being left to die whilst those with their noses in the trough get richer. 

Nobody is saying leave them to die 

But £400bn is too high a cost in order to shield them from potential risk 

School meals is a good one, £400bn would give us free school meals for 420 years 

Again, £400bn is way beyond an acceptable amount of money to spend in a year running from a virus 

Edited by birch-chorley

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Ani said:

You know it is a pity that the Govt team negotiating the deal for GM last week did not say this was coming. 

Playing politics with peoples lives. 

Its predominantly for tier 2. The negotiations were for tier 3, not remaining in 2.

True some extra for 3, though there would have been no guarantees of an agreement. Especially as increaes weren't announced, so AB may have chosen not to belive it without a guarantee. 

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

22 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Its predominantly for tier 2. The negotiations were for tier 3, not remaining in 2.

True some extra for 3, though there would have been no guarantees of an agreement. Especially as increaes weren't announced, so AB may have chosen not to belive it without a guarantee. 

AB tweeted was not aware of it. One of stumbling blocks was backdating it. 

I like Rishi though. 

Edited by Ani

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Precisely. What i just said- the new arrangements weren't properly formulated and announced, so even if they'd put it to him what might be happening, would he have believed them?

Think he should have been given the option. To be clear I am sure Labour are playing games as well. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

This is a shambles and burnham is spot on to ask why only know when London moan does it get looked at. Indefensible This. 

but we all know that London rules the roost and nowhere else matters in reality 

Sorry mate, can't agree.

New funds to be backdated to August too for places round here that have been under restrictions for longer.