Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Free School Meals

Winchester White

20 minutes ago, Spider said:

The company at the centre of this is Chartwells

Chartwells is part of the food service giant Compass Group. The group's chairman, Paul Walsh, was a former member of David Cameron's business advisory group.

He's also one of those lads that loves to bravely shoot lions and tigers from behind from half a mile away.

A 4xPack of Heinz Beans is £1.50 at Morrison's...

Paul Walsh has come out fighting - here he is (pictured below) preparing for a press conference during which he will break down the additional expenses that bump up a £5 bag of scrubber food up to £30...

Man_dressed_as_a_spiv.jpg

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Spider said:

You're missing the point

They haven't been given £30 worth

They've been given a fivers worth

So that's 50p per day, per child for lunch.

And what they have got is mainly shite.

I'm not saying this is 100% on the government to literally spoon feed folk, but give the cunts a chance.

Far from shite.

Certainly not £30 worth, but fruit, veg, bread, yogurt, pasta isn’t going to make kids ill.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Far from shite.

Certainly not £30 worth, but fruit, veg, bread, yogurt, pasta isn’t going to make kids ill.

True

But I was referring to the quantity.

Any complaints about "how are we supposed to make meals out of this" would and should be met with a response to learn how to cook.

But I think 2 kids need more than that for a week.

And let's not forget that Chartwell are given £30. Naturally, they need to make a profit and cover overheads, but I'd think a tenner would be more than fair.

• Members
12 minutes ago, barryk32 said:

If someones been charged 30 quid for this then they abolutely 100% need fucking.

Could you make 5 dinners for a child with this though, yes you can.

You could make 5 meals out of a bag of rice   By that logic doesn’t mean they shouldn’t get a substantial meal especially when it should be adding up to £30

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

You could make 5 meals out of a bag of rice   By that logic doesn’t mean they shouldn’t get a substantial meal especially when it should be adding up to £30

Works for 1.5 billion Chinese folk

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Spider said:

True

But I was referring to the quantity.

Any complaints about "how are we supposed to make meals out of this" would and should be met with a response to learn how to cook.

But I think 2 kids need more than that for a week.

And let's not forget that Chartwell are given £30. Naturally, they need to make a profit and cover overheads, but I'd think a tenner would be more than fair.

You said it was mainly shite, in addition to the quantity issue.

Stephanie Slater just this second has finished talking about this in depth. From the group school meals matter.

It is supposed to be £15 per child per week.

She is extremely pleased with the government issued guidanceas to what should be in them, and has described these as likely a glitch; as for the most part she is very happy with what goes in the boxes, and some caterers even putting recipe cards in.

She agreed that these images showed inadequate quantity and said she's confident the catering company responsible will sort it and the DoE will have input too.

Like so many stories, things overblown on social media, and all to frequently involving folk with a huge sense of entitlement or with an axe to grind.

32 minutes ago, barryk32 said:

Beans & spud, beans on toast, cheese butties, Pasta (should be some sauce to be fair).

You can make 5 dinners out of this for a child.  Its not meant to feed a family of 4 for a fortnight.

I reckon folk just got used to getting 30 quid a week to spend on what the bollocks they want.

Is the issue that he company that's sending that lot out, are getting £30 for it, no way are "we" the public getting value for money if we're paying a private firm £30 to send stuff out, and that's what they're providing.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Is the issue that he company that's sending that lot out, are getting £30 for it, no way are "we" the public getting value for money if we're paying a private firm £30 to send stuff out, and that's what they're providing.

See, this is spot on.  I've no problem with folk kicking off about this.

With where I live a lot of folk get these dinners and of those kicking off not one of them have mentioned whats in it.  They are all kicking off about getting their 30 quid for Morrisons.

The kids will see more of this food box than they do of that 30 quid supermarket voucher - DoubleITKFact

Edited by barryk32

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You said it was mainly shite, in addition to the quantity issue.

Stephanie Slater just this second has finished talking about this in depth. From the group school meals matter.

It is supposed to be £15 per child per week.

She is extremely pleased with the government issued guidanceas to what should be in them, and has described these as likely a glitch; as for the most part she is very happy with what goes in the boxes, and some caterers even putting recipe cards in.

She agreed that these images showed inadequate quantity and said she's confident the catering company responsible will sort it and the DoE will have input too.

Like so many stories, things overblown on social media, and all to frequently involving folk with a huge sense of entitlement or with an axe to grind.

Fair dinkum

If it's a glitch and normal boxes have more in, then could be a storm in a teacup.

It's partly that the govt have dished out (see what I did?) so many of these cronyist contracts over the last few years that people are automatically suspicious.

Hopefully it's a one off.

Teach the parents to cook. That would be my message. No excuse then - at the end of the day they can't expect everything to be done for them

• Site Supporter

Plenty of companies and caterers doing it. Its what this lady was talking about.

I think its the ones that usually provide school meals- just charged with this extra work. Clearly some cock ups or a lazy arsed couple of workers.

I agree about people learning to prepare food better, and maybe someone reckoning its not value would be better of taking the money/voucher and visiting a shop like the rest of us.

18 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Who said it should add up to £30? It should on the face of it be a lot more in there than that but let’s put it This way, by time you’ve knocked off the staff costs, getting the food in, packaging and onward delivery who do people think is paying for this? That all comes off the 30quid so the 30quid is a red herring  in a lot of ways  

there is a reason why this was determined to be the better option though and it’s as Barry says it’s because you give a lot of these families 30quid to spend in Morrison’s the kids are going hungry. That’s a sad sad fact. 

but something needs to be done about the amount of money food in there as that’s a scandal. 

problem is it’s such a huge undertaking only a corporate can fulfill it. It’s too big for a charity to take on. 

Why the fuck award this contract to some middleman spiv crony cunts.

I'm sure Asda, Morrison's, Tesco etc. would do it for cost - good publicity and vans already in the vicinity doing home deliveries.

If this was a Labour government they'd be slaughtered.

Then the usuals pop up defending the indefensible - as usual the recipients of such aid are feckless druggie boozers who maltreat their kids.

And Rashford is a hypocrite do-gooding virtue signalling twat with gangsta tattoos...😡

Just now, Youri McAnespie said:

Why the fuck award this contract to some middleman spiv crony cunts.

I'm sure Asda, Morrison's, Tesco etc. would do it for cost - good publicity and vans already in the vicinity doing home deliveries.

If this was a Labour government they'd be slaughtered.

Then the usuals pop up defending the indefensible - as usual the recipients of such aid are feckless druggie boozers who maltreat their kids.

And Rashford is a hypocrite do-gooding virtue signalling twat with gangsta tattoos...😡

No supermarket would take this on. Not a chance. Not even if you paid them a margin to do it. Fact. Sorry to disappoint 

• Members
15 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Who said it should add up to £30? It should on the face of it be a lot more in there than that but let’s put it This way, by time you’ve knocked off the staff costs, getting the food in, packaging and onward delivery who do people think is paying for this? That all comes off the 30quid so the 30quid is a red herring  in a lot of ways  

there is a reason why this was determined to be the better option though and it’s as Barry says it’s because you give a lot of these families 30quid to spend in Morrison’s the kids are going hungry. That’s a sad sad fact. 

but something needs to be done about the amount of money food in there as that’s a scandal. 

problem is it’s such a huge undertaking only a corporate can fulfill it. It’s too big for a charity to take on. 

A food parcel, rather than a £30 Morrison's voucher is definitely the right route to go down as it should ensures kids end up with food, and proper food at that.

What the scandal is here, is that a company is receiving £30 to send out that meagre fiver's worth of food - obvs all dependant on whether the picture we've seen is an accurate example of what is sent out, rather than a one-off.

If it IS true then this needs an investigation.  I full understand it's not just the cost of goods, but also the overheads that need to be covered ... but that picture we've seen, again if a true representation, shows somebody is taking the piss.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, DazBob said:

A food parcel, rather than a £30 Morrison's voucher is definitely the right route to go down as it should ensures kids end up with food, and proper food at that.

What the scandal is here, is that a company is receiving £30 to send out that meagre fiver's worth of food - obvs all dependant on whether the picture we've seen is an accurate example of what is sent out, rather than a one-off.

If it IS true then this needs an investigation.  I full understand it's not just the cost of goods, but also the overheads that need to be covered ... but that picture we've seen, again if a true representation, shows somebody is taking the piss.

Watch the bbc later- hopefully they'll replay the interview with the lady from School meals matter. Very informative, cuts through a lot of the social media bollocks.

• Site Supporter
Just now, stevieb said:

How difficult would it be to give a voucher that can't be used for cider or faaaags? 

Serious question, you get vouchers now that can't be used for lottery etc. So it can't be too difficult. 

Parliamentary discussions previously commented that using vouchers might make people feel undermined and inadequate when handing them over at the till.

Not sure if they're available or not, but if folk can have the money then they could take it and do a shop themselves.

• Members
3 minutes ago, stevieb said:

How difficult would it be to give a voucher that can't be used for cider or faaaags? 

Serious question, you get vouchers now that can't be used for lottery etc. So it can't be too difficult. 

Food stamps in America