Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Free School Meals

Winchester White

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, DazBob said:

She does have some valid points. Unfortunately she ruins any points she's making with the opening snide remarks.

Definitely comes across as a “look how clever at social media I am!” type of post.

Have school meals for kids always been free in school holidays etc? I genuinely don’t know but given the uproar here I imagine they were and have been taken away? And by this government? 

if they haven’t then why haven’t they been and why has there never been an uproar about it with it being each government thats in powers fault? 

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

The whole idea is to help kids who are already reliant on free school meals during term time is it not?

There will be plenty whos situatuon is much worse due to Covid.

FSM will provide a nice lunch to millions of kids, I assume they will be going hungry at breakfast and dinner though? 

Begs the question are we really doing the right thing here in reaction to Covid if it’s meaning millions of parents can no longer afford to feed their own kids? 

Surely jobs and the economy should come first so we protect the income of these families and they can look after their own

Weve spent £400bn, mainly on furlough and the result of all that money is families still not being able to feed their kids

Plan B please 

2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Have school meals for kids always been free in school holidays etc? I genuinely don’t know but given the uproar here I imagine they were and have been taken away? And by this government? 

if they haven’t then why haven’t they been and why has there never been an uproar about it with it being each government thats in powers fault? 

This, they’ve never been free during the holidays, no that I’m aware of anyway. 

More political point scoring going on. 

7 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

FSM will provide a nice lunch to millions of kids, I assume they will be going hungry at breakfast and dinner though? 

Begs the question are we really doing the right thing here in reaction to Covid if it’s meaning millions of parents can no longer afford to feed their own kids? 

Surely jobs and the economy should come first so we protect the income of these families and they can look after their own

Weve spent £400bn, mainly on furlough and the result of all that money is families still not being able to feed their kids

Plan B please 

It’s never enough with the hard left, that’s why they rarely get in power. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

6 minutes ago, royal white said:

This, they’ve never been free during the holidays, no that I’m aware of anyway. 

More political point scoring going on. 

It’s new thing I believe, because of Covid 

Kids claiming free school meals have gone from 1.4m to 2.3m (and counting) 

We have literally pushed 1m children into food poverty with our Covid response. Whilst putting the country in its worst debt position since WW2 

How many more millions of kids need to go hungry before we find a new way through this bollocks 

Just now, birch-chorley said:

We have literally pushed 1m children into food poverty with our Covid response. Whilst putting the country in its worst debt position since WW2 

How many more millions of kids need to go hungry before we find a new way through this bollocks 

So the 1.4m before werent worth fighting for? Sorry but that’s what this says. You weren’t important enough and nor were the kids before on free school meals for decades before,

But now there’s been a push by a famous person and a social media outrage they are all important. 

fwiw every kid needs feeding. Not my point.  

3 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

So am I right in saying the 1.4 million who were getting the free meals last year are more than likely in the same position As they are now? 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

So the 1.4m before werent worth fighting for? Sorry but that’s what this says. You weren’t important enough and nor were the kids before on free school meals for decades before,

But now there’s been a push by a famous person and a social media outrage they are all important. 

Until Issac Newton discovered gravity it already existed but wasn’t identified. Same with this. Rashford’s moan was that kids missing out on education because of school closure were also missing out on possibly the only square meal they had in a day. 

6 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Of course, I’ve said before I would give universal free school meals 

However the point being made (unless I’m wrong) is that BECAUSE of our Covid response we need to go further, the 1.4m now need feeding in the school holidays and an extra 900k kids have been pushed into food poverty 

Thats completely self inflicted, because of the choices we have made dealing with the virus 

That’s with a fairly substantial support package as well in the way of Furlough 

51 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Cummings is going to have his work cut out trying to save face for all the toxic caused by his party on another shambles.

Cummings never has explained his time in Russia in the mid 90s

Edited by Dimron
out of order

4 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Until Issac Newton discovered gravity it already existed but wasn’t identified. Same with this. Rashford’s moan was that kids missing out on education because of school closure were also missing out on possibly the only square meal they had in a day. 

But schools aren’t closed anymore. They are open. Yes they are closed in school holidays. But they always were. So sorry micky my point is absolutely valid. 

any child in history on free school meals did not get fed by the school or government in school holidays. Should they be? Yeah. Were they? No.  This hasn’t changed. 

• Site Supporter

Breaking (Sky Sports) - Leeds United players pledged £25k to Rashford’s charity.

3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

But schools aren’t closed anymore. They are open. Yes they are closed in school holidays. But they always were. So sorry micky my point is absolutely valid. 

any child in history on free school meals did not get fed by the school or government in school holidays. Should they be? Yeah. Were they? No.  This hasn’t changed. 

But Rashford noticed during the forced closure. It just followed that a kid not eating due to a school closure was probably a kid not eating during school holidays. Now that this has been identified it needs acting upon...

Unless it was an opposition party championing Rashford’s cause, in which case the government will close ranks and defeat what has now become a Labour issue.

We can all see that party politics shouldn’t come into the discussion but it seems they can’t.

8 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Breaking (Sky Sports) - Leeds United players pledged £25k to Rashford’s charity.

But Rashford noticed during the forced closure. It just followed that a kid not eating due to a school closure was probably a kid not eating during school holidays. Now that this has been identified it needs acting upon...

Unless it was an opposition party championing Rashford’s cause, in which case the government will close ranks and defeat what has now become a Labour issue.

We can all see that party politics shouldn’t come into the discussion but it seems they can’t.

How on earth has it just been realised?

I had free school meals when I was a kid. I didn’t get them during holidays. In my early school years I probably wouldn’t eat anything after breakfast til dinner time. Sometimes we didn’t have breakfast. So I realized. Where was the outcry for me? Where were the campaigns and people wanting to help me? 

So please don’t insult me by saying someone has only just realised. Cos that is utter bollocks. 

• Moderators

I've never been arsed about FSM

always took the view it was on the parents and not my problem

but these last few months, I've seen the massive sums wasted and almost certain corruption plain as day for all to see

I really don't care if we chuck a few million more at hungry kids

I'm actually surprised Dildos not been given the job of sorting it

I’m all for this. And the government have in my opinion acted abhorrently. But please spare me the it’s only a problem now shite or it’s only just been noticed by a footballer with an IQ of about 8. It’s not. It’s just that nobody else could be arsed. 

But al plaudits given to rashford are fully deserved. He’s done more for the children of this country than most politicians ever will no matter what fucking bench or colour rosette they wear 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Escobarp said:

How on earth has it just been realised?

I had free school meals when I was a kid. I didn’t get them during holidays. In my early school years I probably wouldn’t eat anything after breakfast til dinner time. Sometimes we didn’t have breakfast. So I realized. Where was the outcry for me? Where were the campaigns and people wanting to help me? 

So please don’t insult me by saying someone has only just realised. Cos that is utter bollocks. 

I’m not saying you didn’t have it bad and I’m certainly not setting out to insult your own childhood memories but I’m certainly not going to apologise to you and other free school meal kids because nobody back in your day took up your cause and alerted the country about it. Just as I don’t apologise for slavery before I cared about anything. Your childhood is gone but that doesn’t mean someone highlighting issues shouldn’t do it now because they didn’t do it then.

9 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I’m not saying you didn’t have it bad and I’m certainly not setting out to insult your own childhood memories but I’m certainly not going to apologise to you and other free school meal kids because nobody back in your day took up your cause and alerted the country about it. Just as I don’t apologise for slavery before I cared about anything. Your childhood is gone but that doesn’t mean someone highlighting issues shouldn’t do it now because they didn’t do it then.

So what about kids last year kids 6 months ago the 1.4million kids that nobody gave a fuck about ? That’s my point micky. This has been a problem for years and years and years and good on Marcus rashford for doing summat about it. 

and you’re not making it political but lots are. It’s not. Or if it is it was political when I was a kid and every other kid that’s gone without it was political then As well. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

So what about kids last year kids 6 months ago the 1.4million kids that nobody gave a fuck about ? That’s my point micky. This has been a problem for years and years and years and good on Marcus rashford for doing summat about it. 

and you’re not making it political but lots are. It’s not. Or if it is it was political when I was a kid and every other kid that’s gone without it was political then As well. 

A couple of months ago we were discussing the BLM folk wanting apologies for historical events such as Great Britain taking over the running of whole countries, slaves being taken from one continent to another as forced labour. In essence, shit happened in the past.

Similarly, I get that some kids had a poor upbringing (that’s poor financially, not poor parenting) but we can’t go back and make it better now (unless some solicitor fancies running a “Did you have a poor childhood? Ring 0800-I-WANT-COMPENSATION”

It isn’t happening but as I already said, the past being shit shouldn’t mean the future should be shit too.

My anger is more at the virtue signallers and the outrage at this when it’s been going on forever. Fuck all to do with covid. Where was peoples anger?

all the people on here outraged by it where have you been hiding this outrage all this time? as I guarantee not one of you have ever even given a thought to a kid going without a meal during school holidays but now your outraged about it? 

this is society nowadays sadly. It’s good in one way cos it promotes some positive change. Yet when mounts or similar has a slightly differing opinion he’s a heartless cunt? Does that not then include every single one of you? Cos none of you have given a fuck before now!

rant over 

Just now, MickyD said:

A couple of months ago we were discussing the BLM folk wanting apologies for historical events such as Great Britain taking over the running of whole countries, slaves being taken from one continent to another as forced labour. In essence, shit happened in the past.

Similarly, I get that some kids had a poor upbringing (that’s poor financially, not poor parenting) but we can’t go back and make it better now (unless some solicitor fancies running a “Did you have a poor childhood? Ring 0800-I-WANT-COMPENSATION”

It isn’t happening but as I already said, the past being shit shouldn’t mean the future should be shit too.

Why weren’t you outraged at this two weeks ago. Not 20/30’years ago. 3 months ago. 2 weeks ago? Why? It was happening then

Not asking for an apology for it. my childhood shaped who I am today. 
I welcome The positive change that hopefully this will bring.  

but all this angry outrage can get to fuck. Same as Anti slavery pish can get to fuck. Nobody gave a fuck so stop pretending now cos it’s fashionable. That’s my point