Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

PPE report

Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Sweep said:

On a side note the US national debt is currently about $27T....its increased by $7T in just the last four years. The UK national debt, in comparison, is sat at around $2.5T

Who are countries actually in debt to? I looked on Google and found this:

The UK national debt is the total amount of money the British government owes to the private sector and other purchasers of UK gilts. The impact of Coronavirus and emergency policy measures are likely to see an unprecedented rise in UK debt over 2020 and 2021.

so private companies invest money and it becomes debt payable by the government. Was there no warning when they put money in which went along the lines of, “There is no guarantee that the value of your investment will rise.” 

4 minutes ago, Sweep said:

The more you delve into it, the more confusing it gets, as it seems nearly every country is in masses of debt

I had to do this at uni and it blew my mind. It’s one main reason why other governments bail others out. Because if one goes bust it has a huge knock effect in the sale of government bonds and gilts etc 

• Site Supporter
30 minutes ago, Sweep said:

The more you delve into it, the more confusing it gets, as it seems nearly every country is in masses of debt

Pensions. 

Miami and BD should be able to shed more light.

Are these Gilts a 'safe' option as opposed to other things which might have a higher yield, but more risky?

Or is that bollocks? :)

• Members
30 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I had to do this at uni and it blew my mind. It’s one main reason why other governments bail others out. Because if one goes bust it has a huge knock effect in the sale of government bonds and gilts etc 

Is that why when Greece nearly went pop everyone was flapping and Greece didn’t give a shite?

As an aside Mrs Manc is moving to a team within logistics that deals with inbound containers. Mainly China, Russia and the US. Fuck me. The increase in volume that the Chinese are talking is frightening. They are taking over 

Has anyone else on here ordered stuff from Wish? Google them and they look like a US company. From what Mrs Manc tells me they are the Chinese route to compete with Amazon and are growing massively and all the logistics companies (DHL, DPD, UPS, Yodel, Hermes, etc) are in a scramble to get the contracts because they will take over the online market

YHIHF

3 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Is that why when Greece nearly went pop everyone was flapping and Greece didn’t give a shite?

Greece were in essence bankrupt and were bailed out by about 250bn I think          

if a country fails the it cannot run  its government cannot function  so a bankrupt country isn’t the same as a business that fails and liquidates  

But whilst they can go bankrupt it doesn’t have the same issues as a person or company going bankrupt as defaulting on sovereign debt doesn’t give anyone the right to the debtors assets  whereas you or I go bankrupt and our assets become property of your creditors  

another one is only just around the corner though given covid. Let’s hope the IMF etc have deep deep pockets. 

• Members
22 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Greece were in essence bankrupt and were bailed out by about 250bn I think          

if a country fails the it cannot run  its government cannot function  so a bankrupt country isn’t the same as a business that fails and liquidates  

But whilst they can go bankrupt it doesn’t have the same issues as a person or company going bankrupt as defaulting on sovereign debt doesn’t give anyone the right to the debtors assets  whereas you or I go bankrupt and our assets become property of your creditors  

another one is only just around the corner though given covid. Let’s hope the IMF etc have deep deep pockets. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Sweep said:

To whom?

Is it like Game Of Thrones, where there is just one bank some where in world who have all the money and basically lend out to whoever, at the time, is most likely to pay it back?

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Government saying 70% of ppe made here now, can’t quite believe that figure as they’ve 11,000 containers of ppe at Felixstowe that means about 30,000 containers worth made here. 

Our firm has just brought in 120M single use facemasks from China, in a single drop. I know there is more to PPE than facemasks, but like Mounts, I'm struggling to see that 70% of PPE is made here now

26 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Our firm has just brought in 120M single use facemasks from China, in a single drop. I know there is more to PPE than facemasks, but like Mounts, I'm struggling to see that 70% of PPE is made here now

Has your firm looked at those ones which were on the news yesterday claiming to kill it off ? Some being produced over here and also many more in Germany after a tie up. Invented at Nottingham Uni by a scientist there.

6 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Has your firm looked at those ones which were on the news yesterday claiming to kill it off ? Some being produced over here and also many more in Germany after a tie up. Invented at Nottingham Uni by a scientist there.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/science/coronavirus-new-face-mask-kills-23023269.amp?__twitter_impression=true

12 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Don't know mate, I'm not involved in the PPE side, it's proper cut throat at the minute though apparently

14 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Don't know mate, I'm not involved in the PPE side, it's proper cut throat at the minute though apparently

Might may be an idea to show them that article. Meant to be going straight to docs, nurses, health care professionals from next month, then to the public and supposedly wipe the floor with the usual masks.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Normal masks work fine. They massively reduce your ability to spread and reasonable at stopping you breathing in the virus.

we have to wear masks all the time at work

Pain in the arse and i tried a few til i found one i 'liked'

Fabric, 5 for 3 or 4 quid in morrisons

Used to em now, but sooner theyre gone, the better