Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A View From The Other Side

matty2094

• Members

Quite a few geordies and mackem fans down here. Don't know if it's bollocks but the maggies have always claimed that the main reason Sunlun get decent crowds (on the face of it) is because they give reams of tickets away for every home game - especially to schools, retired miners and other charities.

• Site Supporter

I can't do what @matty2094 does, but here's a few post-match snippets from a Cambridge forum:

I went to the game last night and on reflection think Bonner has done an amazing job with what he's got (and now with yet more injuries and lack of additional recruits in January will have to continue to do) We gave them a good run for their money last night but when Bolton broke, the pace, power and strength + the crowd behind them was so much more than we'd got...... having said all of that we could and should have scored one or two of our own. We played well, just that we were probably at our max when they always had a couple of extra gears to kick in when needed 🤷🏻‍♂️ (let's be honest, with their budget they should have, right!?)

I'd keep an eye out for Bolton pushing for playoffs. We've still got 9 point buffer to relegation places and there are certainly 4-5-6 teams worse than us. Therefore ✊🏻💛🖤

Bolton were probably the best side we'd played last night and we were lucky to not be 2 or 3 down within 15 minutes. We did well to hang on and try create some openings for ourselves which I assume was the game plan but shot ourselves in the foot at the wrong time.

No offence to our Bolton visitor, but I really really hate Bolton. They love to play good football, and then hack us down every time we try to. Always been cheats haven’t they.

Thought there was a disproportionate number of takeaways in Bolton, must be where they get the chips to put on their shoulders.

So to conclude: Bolton may be the best team in the world after all?

Play off contenders certainly.

The takeaways are to launder drug money you provincial fools.

Anyhow we're top of the 'promoted' mini-league with that.

We don't have chips on our shoulders, it's just a bit of a nause to be slumming it with riff-raff for footballing royalty like BWFC.

We were at Wembley or The Millennium Stadium, The Premier League or in Europe so often we spent 40% of our lives organising tickets and travel arrangments for over a decade...

A chip on the shoulder indicates when shipbuilders would balance a woodchip on their shoulder, and invite an enemy to knock it off.

Nowt to do with damaged ornaments.

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Big University town with inhabitants saying we have a lot of takeaways.

Kinell.

Do the students there all cook?

Is there a correlation to students and takeaways?

...and Cambridge is hardly a normal university :)

Edited by gonzo

• Members
1 minute ago, gonzo said:

Is there a correlation to students and takeaways?

...and Cambridge is hardly a normal university :)

They have a university? They kept that quiet

No offence to our Bolton visitor, but I really really hate Bolton. They love to play good football, and then hack us down every time we try to. Always been cheats haven’t they.

This gave me a semi 

55 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Do the students there (Cambridge) all cook?

No, obviously. But the vast bulk of first years and a good number of the other years live in and are fed as part of their fees. So proportionately less will be using take aways.

... &, yes, on average  they're pretty well off.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

No, obviously. But the vast bulk of first years and a good number of the other years live in and are fed as part of their fees. So proportionately less will be using take aways.

... &, yes, on average  they're pretty well off.

Yes, I paid for inboard dining in my first year.

Didn't get used all the time, it was only one meal in the day and not at weekends.

Means we're made in the evening. 

My university was quite a remote stand alone campus, with little takeaway option at the time, so when living in, perhaps little choice.

Cambridge is different, like a lot of places, and ready access to the city.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Big University town with inhabitants saying we have a lot of takeaways.

Kinell.

Do the students there all cook?

I lived there for a year 

I don't recall there being that many, certainly not compared to places I've lived up north 

What they did seem to have was a lot of kebab vans that would rock up in the same spots every week 

I don't think I'd seen one before or since

1 hour ago, Zico said:

I lived there for a year 

I don't recall there being that many, certainly not compared to places I've lived up north 

What they did seem to have was a lot of kebab vans that would rock up in the same spots every week 

Yeah I lived around there for a bit, there's a van that seems to feed the students pissed up. But Oxbridge have things like formal halls. Had a friend who went, seemed like a mix in terms of money like most universities. It is pretty different though from a red brick experience or a big city.

Plus the city is pretty quiet, decent pubs down Mill Rd but can't say I saw a lot of takeaways.

2 hours ago, Zico said:

I lived there for a year 

I stayed over there this season and sampled one of said kebab vans. Surprisingly good. 

2 hours ago, Zico said:

I lived there for a year 

One used to park near the Fletcher Street Mosque on a Friday.

Also, bizarrely, a Thai food wagon was permanently parked/trading on Paulhan Street recently, smelled good tbh. 

Not many take aways around, but I think there is only one night club in the city and most boozers in the centre have stricter closing hours dictated by the uni's so there is less call. Most of the students are either from wealthy backgrounds in the UK or even wealthier backgrounds abroad and so aren't living the typical university life. Plus everything costs a fortune, London prices without the London weighting. Some decent food vans about though, although not late night

Apologies all, only just sat down for the day. Wednesdays are always chaotic in the 2094 house. 

@Cheese has got the pick of the bunch there. There seems to be a general consensus of best team won on CambridgeWays. A few snide remarks pre-match but probably as balanced as here tends to be.

A couple of other key picks...

PRE-MATCH

Snap your hands off for a point. They've just smashed Sunderland 6-0 so will be very high on confidence

Or very high on complacency

Free hit for us, soak up the pressure, hit ‘em on the break, league double achieved.

It's obvious that Evatt really likes the Jan transfer window. I think he brought in 6 this time. Certainly worked for them last year but seems a strange way to build a successful team. Didn't he then lose a couple to non-league teams like March Town United and Salford FC? Sunderland were in a strange mood going into today's game (because they're Sunderland) so I'd counsel everyone to ignore the result. I can really see us taking 3 points from this and the surprise will be that it's no surprise: deserved, testament to the U's and firing up the momentum for clinching that last play off spot.

Would love us to win just to see bell end Evatt’s face!

As we all know they are the biggest club in the world so it will be an absolute privilege just to share a pitch with them.

Does anyone else think that now we’ve won away at a PL side this season that visits to places such as Bolton (wherever that is) seem just a little bit tinpot?

shithouse them for a 1-0 away win cheers.

I had it in my head that Bolton had an amazing home record, but it’s not that good. However, the only teams to win there are Rotherham, Wigan and Wycombe, so we’d have to join some pretty impressive company. 

- Erm?

It's quite interesting having a quick dip into one of the Bolton forum's pre-match threads. Perhaps I've found a number with 'Jonah-like' tendencies but quite a few of their posters are looking on tonight's match as a real challenge for them. One posted:

'A draw wouldn't be the end of the world. Any win against a team like that in their form is fantastic stuff'.

Even Bolton are recognising we're getting a bit of a reputation...

That was only possible because we are the biggest team in Bolton.

I thought you were still in that soulless pit in Horwich?

DURING THE MATCH

Ref missing a few things already

Ref's a homer

Speaking of useless: this ref.

Bolton are flinging themselves at every opportunity.

This ref is a joke. Overwhelmed by the surroundings and seems to think he can’t ref the game fairly.

Open game and a few heart in mouth moments already. Ref is not filling me with confidence…

We're doing a mixture of quite good and very bad defending

- Relatable.

Bolton player goes to ground = free kick
Cambridge player goes to ground = play on

We really should be behind now, living on the edge would be an understatement.

Get the feeling that was Digby's final warning - they really are trying to talk him into the book!

And sadly the gormless ref is listening.

Can't say that hasn't been coming

Can’t believe they scored. Completely against the run of play

- Assuming that's tongue in cheek.

So Bolton can have 4 players surround the ref, but Mitov does the same thing and it’s a booking?

This ref is an absolute joke. He’s actually got worse as the half has continued and the foul on Iredale he barely wanted to give. Disgraceful little man.

Well 1-0 at HT a fair score, we’ve had a couple of good chances but Bolton’s pressing as made us panic so many times and they could have easily scored a couple more.

Ref is just appalling though! What is it with us playing Bolton and having crap refs.

What actually happened to Iredale? Saw him on the ground but missed the incident - was it contact or a pull?

Evatts ego fell on him

I'm sure Evatt doesn't actually believe half the crap he spouts - I think it's intended to be motivational

Never a pen. Cracking tackle

File under 'seen them given'!

How was that never a pen

Yeah that looked a pen too me.

Ref seemed set to give that then just didn’t. Looked blatant to me.

He really isn't a great ref!

Hahaha. This ref!

*bollocks, on top then we let them score again type posts*

FULL TIME

I think Bolton would have scored another if they'd needed to.

Bolton looked excellent going forward and we just met them at the wrong time. Santos looks like an immovable mountain against us but on previous Bolton highlights looks like a lumbering carthorse of a CB.

Shame the error for the second came when we were on top. If we could have got level could have got nervy for Bolton.

FWIW I thought Brophy terrified Bolton at times. Couldn't handle him. Just should have pulled his man down after his blooper and taken a yellow for the team. At 1-0 down we were very much still in it. Also, Bolton for all their strut and swagger and lots of decent players, why are they just mid table?

No offence to our Bolton visitor, but I really really hate Bolton. They love to play good football, and then hack us down every time we try to. Always been cheats haven’t they.

FWIW I thought Brophy terrified Bolton at times. Couldn't handle him. Just should have pulled his man down after his blooper and taken a yellow for the team. At 1-0 down we were very much still in it. Also, Bolton for all their strut and swagger and lots of decent players, why are they just mid table?

They might go on a run like last year and crash the play offs. Sure have some quality going forward.

It's a real shame they scored the second when they did as you could sense the nervousness of the home crowd and Bolton when we started getting a hold of the game.

- Could you?

Gutted. Boys have everything as always but we were beaten by a better team last night

They love to play good football, and then hack us down every time we try to.

Exactly this. The one time I swore at the screen this evening was when their long-haired alice banded bloke (who had a handful of a U's players' shirt pretty much all evening) took Lankester out after a gorgeous bit of skill. Absolute git.

that`s MJ Williams, a right winging Kn*b  who was just the same at the Abbey ! will always get away with it with weak refs around !

They did the same last year. First half of the season - crap. Then they seem to wake up. They’ve also just spent £500k on strengthening in the January transfer window. It would not surprise me to see them in and around the playoffs this year. For all their good attacking play, there were parts of the game where I thought they had a soft underbelly. We were just too jaded or not set up right to punish them.

Our season isn’t going to be defined against teams like that. Went with a Bolton mate of mine tonight and said that the fans understanding is Declan John is on 6k a week. They’ve got quality throughout their side and will push the playoffs this year with the attacking threat they have.

Bolton were probably the best side we'd played last night and we were lucky to not be 2 or 3 down within 15 minutes. We did well to hang on and try create some openings for ourselves which I assume was the game plan but shot ourselves in the foot at the wrong time.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, matty2094 said:

Apologies all, only just sat down for the day. Wednesdays are always chaotic in the 2094 house. 

@Cheese has got the pick of the bunch there. There seems to be a general consensus of best team won on CambridgeWays. A few snide remarks pre-match but probably as balanced as here tends to be.

A couple of other key picks...

PRE-MATCH

- Erm?

DURING THE MATCH

- Relatable.

- Assuming that's tongue in cheek.

*bollocks, on top then we let them score again type posts*

FULL TIME

- Could you?

Are you the "Bolton visitor" who was posting on that board? Took me 24 hours to have my registration approved before I could see any of it. I doff my cap to you for your service here.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Plus the city is pretty quiet, decent pubs down Mill Rd but can't say I saw a lot of takeaways.

The uni run the city, nothing gets opened without their say so, there's no way the centre of Cambridge would ever become a haven for takeaways 

The post pub nightlife was shit as they only allowed one or two nightclubs to exist 

It's all about tourism and a sense of class 

As for the surrounding areas and villages, at best you would tend to find a curry house, a chinese takeaway, a chippy and a pizza grill type place, that was it 

And the kebab vans 

"worst" place I've seen up here is Northenden in Manc, pretty much every shop on the high street is a food outlet of somesort, easy 90% plus

1 hour ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Most of the students are either from wealthy backgrounds in the UK or even wealthier backgrounds abroad and so aren't living the typical university life. Plus everything costs a fortune, London prices without the London weighting.

Oh, FFS. I'd better start saving up.