Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton Pride Weekend

DazBob

Are you proud to be Boltonian, well a Little Hultonian?

Are you proud to be a Wanderer?

British?

English?

Anyway, the group circle crowding around a bloke kneeling and wankin' whilst another bloke in leather chaps urinates in his mouth (the onlookers filming and palpating their widgies through clothing) will take place on the car park behind Victoria Hall at 3pm sharp.

There will be a doughnut stall on Victoria Square, the produce can either be ate or used as rings on the Hoopla stall adjacent. The 'pegs' being prostrate gay men's erect willies, you can guess the prize if successful.

There will be a free puppet show/brainwashing session on the hour, every hour in the former Debenham's store. Under-11s only admitted entry.

The actual flaunting, parading and ramming it down throats on the back of flatbed trucks will commence at 4pm.

Come down, you'll have a Gay old time.

Never been to the Manchester nor Bolton one, but I imagine 'our' effort is very much an 'After the Lord Mayor's Show' affair (compared to Manchester).

As an aside, when The York briefly flew the Rainbow Flag, a mate who, though straight, thinks he's really 'cosmo' - dragged me and a mate in for a pint when on a pub crawl, thinking it'd outrage our 'straight' sensibilities...

It was just a typical middle aged to old blokes pub, men sat around in silence or muted conversation, nursing pints of bitter or lager.

The only giveaway was a little more in the way of gold jewellery, especially earrings, stonewashed denim and more 'modern' haircuts on blokes of the age when it's usually a plain short back and sides.

My mate looked really disappointed, I think he expected feather boas and Gloria Gaynor booming out of the jukebox.

IMO there isn't much of an LGTB 'scene' in Bolton, pretty much for the same reason there's never been much of a house music, garage, grime, gourmet food etc. etc. 'scenes' here either, trains to Manchester almost every ten minutes taking just under quarter of an hour...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter

I was in Manchester last night.

Walking along the locks near Deansgate at around 10.30pm, it was fucking heaving.

Freshers week.

Once I'd rolled my tongue back into my head, I made a sharp exit. 

But, fucking hell, to be 18 again.

• Members
1 minute ago, Spider said:

Walking along the locks near Deansgate at around 10.30pm, it was fucking heaving.

Freshers week.

You’d be part of the pride community?

8 minutes ago, Spider said:

Freshers week.

Fuck that, I kick myself thinking about my renaissance period when I was about 28 and free for the first time in six or so years...

At first when girls of 19-26ish seemed to be open or even openly flirting I assumed they were taking the piss, or I was far too old - my ex had done such a number on me...

It took numerous mates making 'Rhys Ifans in Notting Hill' - "You Daft Prick!" style statements after such missed opportunities that the  penny finally dropped.

I can still remember names, faces, bodies, nationalies, what they had on (or didn't)...

These squandered chances will haunt me until my dying days.

Kent Pride last week was fantastic. The kids were happy because of all the free merch they got from the emergancy services, and my eldest got to speak to about group councelling which will massively help her at the moment as she's struggling a bit.

Middle kid went off with her new mates from year 7 - one dress as a pixie with I'm Gay and Happy emblazoned across her t-shirt, good to see things have changed - can't imagine anyone in my first year being able to do that. 

I got to dance to 5ive - forgotten how many tunes they had!

Anyway, all told - great afternoon. One thing I didn't know was how many different types of flags there are for the different sections. Was like a navy signalling station.

I'm far too old fashioned for anything like this, good on folk expressing themselves and stuff, but its not really something I'd enjoy.  I once had to take some stuff to the Pride Of Manchester and was gobsmacked how some folk were dressed, blokes in short skirts and blouses, never really seen anything like that before in my life.