Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Yorkshire County Cricket Club

deane koontz

26 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Maybe I need educating. But there's racism and there's racism. One would call you a N or P. And the other would say something and be totally unaware of the effect.  Let's take Michael Vaughan as an example. He may have said "you lot" once and in a light hearted manner not even thinking it might cause offence. But if you are on the receiving end of that comment you might have been on the back end of a dozen "light hearted" comments from different people that week. Comments like that would really grind at you over lifetime. This is a society problem. We have all been guilty of it. 

Bloke who worked for me was of Indian parents and had gone grey early in life. Every time he stood up to do a presentation my Southern oppo would ask “what are you doing to tackle knife crime in London?”. I pulled him on it. His response was “my mum’s Italian and my dads from Mauritius and I’m brown”. Totally failed to see the point that by comparing his looks to Sadiq Khan he was highlighting the colour of his skin. Relentlessly. Got taken to HR in the end. Talking to the bloke who worked for me he said he just simply felt ground down by it in the end and had enough

He claimed that British Asian representation in professional cricket since 2010 dropped nearly 40% and that England have missed out on "a hell of a lot of talent" because Asian and black cricketers have been subjected to racism.

This was a quote from his appearance today. (It’s from the BBC website) If you look at the England team today, how can it be more representative of our society? I have said previously, the England cricket team is the most diverse in world cricket. 

8 hours ago, Spider said:

I’m suing the Bolton Cricket Association.

Years back, an Aussie pro spent an entire game calling me and a couple of others Paleface Pommie Bastards , a clearly disparaging racist term.

Whilst I suspect Rafeeq suffered beyond the boundary rope, there needs to be a very honest conversation about the difference between racist baiting and nation-based and harmless ribbing.

Because very soon, calling someone a Scottish bastard when they are in fact both Scottish and a bastard, will become a hate crime.

Throw in Welsh, Irish, French etc etc.

Then its Mancs, Scousers, cockneys, geordies all claiming race hate.

I fully understand that this is a fine line to walk, but it’s actually really fucking important.

Its CRICKET for fucks sake. Extreme and blatant racism is to be dealt with as harshly as possible.

Nation based teasing and sledging is harmless.

Careful , now.

Well said.

• Members
9 hours ago, Spider said:

I’m suing the Bolton Cricket Association.

Years back, an Aussie pro spent an entire game calling me and a couple of others Paleface Pommie Bastards , a clearly disparaging racist term.

Whilst I suspect Rafeeq suffered beyond the boundary rope, there needs to be a very honest conversation about the difference between racist baiting and nation-based and harmless ribbing.

Because very soon, calling someone a Scottish bastard when they are in fact both Scottish and a bastard, will become a hate crime.

Throw in Welsh, Irish, French etc etc.

Then its Mancs, Scousers, cockneys, geordies all claiming race hate.

I fully understand that this is a fine line to walk, but it’s actually really fucking important.

Its CRICKET for fucks sake. Extreme and blatant racism is to be dealt with as harshly as possible.

Nation based teasing and sledging is harmless.

Careful , now.

Well put Spider.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Horwich said:

Someone said he was from Pakistan.

Usually people born in Pakistan, are from Pakistan.

Now stop being a bellend.

Whether you like it or not, someone's place of birth doesn't dictate their Nationality. Not sure how pointing that out makes me a bellend? 🤷‍♂️