Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Mr & Mrs Jason Kenny

MickyD

• Site Supporter

Promoted from CBE & DBE to become Knight and Dame respectively.

Wasn’t the request for Nat Lofthouse to be elevated to Sir Nat greeted with the response they don’t ‘promote’ civil honours for the same thing they were given the earlier award?

Whilst not particularly arsed what titles Mr and Mrs Kenny hold, what, beyond cycling, have they done to deserve the elevated honour that Nat remained unqualified for?

• Site Supporter

Saw a list of honours this morning and it did seem it's pretty much "Who's done well in sport".. I know there are others but it seems to be a way of giving celebs a higher status. 

That said we should be happy that a lad from Farnworth has received a Knighthood, as he's obv worked hard to get what he's achieved.. 

Edit.. realised I was reading the sports honours list....

Edited by only1swanny

• Members

I’ve known Jason since school he is the most humble, modest person you could care to meet. 

He just knew he would do cycling as a profession and wasn’t that interested in anything else. An extremely funny and lovely man, can’t speak highly of him enough

28 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Wasn’t the request for Nat Lofthouse to be elevated to Sir Nat greeted with the response they don’t ‘promote’ civil honours for the same thing they were given the earlier award?

Whilst not particularly arsed what titles Mr and Mrs Kenny hold, what, beyond cycling, have they done to deserve the elevated honour that Nat remained unqualified for?

He has become GB's winner of most Olympic golds with his Tokyo win.

She has become Gb's female winner of most Olympic golds with her Tokyo win. HTH

42 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I don't mean to do Nat down, but the Kennys have won a ridiculous amount of Olympic medals for the country, Jason Kenny more than anyone else.

It's difficult to argue they shouldn't have recived the honours they have.

An a related matter, I'm not in favour of sportspeople being awarded honours whilst still competing. It should be left until they've retired.

• Site Supporter
52 minutes ago, MickyD said:

What does it matter in the end?

Fair play to the kennys, but the feelings we have for our Nat remain the same irrespective of awards.

• Site Supporter

One or two are missing my point. I’m not bemoaning the awards given to Mr & Mrs Kenny but questioning the earlier given reason that Nat didn’t do anything beyond football to deserve a knighthood. 

7 minutes ago, MickyD said:

One or two are missing my point. I’m not bemoaning the awards given to Mr & Mrs Kenny but questioning the earlier given reason that Nat didn’t do anything beyond football to deserve a knighthood. 

He offered me a french fancy once, Sir Nat (the little cakes not a harlot from Bordeaux) he was a genuinely nice bloke. Jason was too I only knew him as a kid though (him not me - was the kid, although I was a kid in relation to now).

Edited by Youri McAnespie

11 minutes ago, MickyD said:

It's the fact that the Olympic medals they won last year made them the most successful British male and female Olympians ever.

Edited by Lt. Aldo Raine

31 minutes ago, MickyD said:

He'll always be Sir Nat in my eyes.

Well done the Kennys

45 minutes ago, little whitt said:

well done to them Both 

quick Question 

He became a Sir would make her a Lady anyway 

is a Dame Higher ???

Dame (DBE) is equivalent to knight (KBE). Wife of a knight becomes Lady, no added title for husband of a dame. [It's called equality.]

Laura and Jason were both CBEs before.