Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Skirmish.

leigh white

14 minutes ago, Sweep said:

It's interesting that there used to be rivalries between certain areas, and enough of it for there to be rucks. You just don't see this sort of stuff anymore (unless it does go on, and I'm oblivious to it)

Think a lot is born from school stuff, always has been over here anyway. 

Remember areas had little firm names when all that was all the rage in the late 80s early 90s when my brothers were at high-school. ICF (inter cleveleys firm) and Bispham mafia being my favourites :D

Edited by gonzo

• Members

I lived in Slaithwaite (or Slawit) for a while around 20 years ago.  If anyone from Marsden dared to venture down for a pint it was like the early scene from American Werewolf in London.  A hush would descend on the pub and there'd be mutterings.  "Wot's 'e dowin' darn 'ere.  E's from Maaarsden".

Proper weird.

• Site Supporter

As a teenager, we’d have gang fights with Breightmet (top o’th brow) one week and then mob up with them to have a scrap with Hall i’th Wood. Mad days.

If I recall correctly, we did more planning than actual fighting. 

3 minutes ago, MickyD said:

As a teenager, we’d have gang fights with Breightmet (top o’th brow) one week and then mob up with them to have a scrap with Hall i’th Wood. Mad days.

If I recall correctly, we did more planning than actual fighting

Although I bet you heard, second hand, about tremendous fights that had occurred previously (that clearly never happened)

I remember when I was at Turton, hearing about legendary battles they'd had with Sharples and Canon Slade, when all sorts had happened (people hit with shovels and hammers and the such like) which had definitely never actually happened......in my 5 years there, I don't think anything ever happened.