Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Brand Evatt

desperado

15 minutes ago, JOGLER said:

Its good to have a sensible discussion without it deteriorating into anger and name calling. After all none of us can prove who is, or might be, the best manager for us.

So, here's what I base my OPINION on (that there is nobody better than I.E. for our manager):

1) He has improved us every season he has been in charge

2) The way he likes us to play is entertaining and exciting (that doesn't mean it is always so.... Just like it isn't for the most entertaining team on the planet, whoever that is)

3) It's not essential that we get promoted this season, or even next, but it would be a problem if we were still in div. 1 in say 3 years time. I think we have an excellent chance of getting promoted this season but, if we don't, it's virtually guaranteed next season.

4) If I.E. was replaced at the end of this season the new manager would want his own staff and players, that change process and the inevitable turmoil would virtually guarantee we wouldn't get promoted next season.

5) I have a strong feeling that I.E. would be happy to remain at B.W.F.C. until he retires - assuming Sharon stays too and continues to support him and his ambitions .... Within the limitations of Sustainability.

6) I believe that I.E. has the traits to take us all the way (as far as a club of our size can go..... We've previously reached Europe), he reminds me greatly of Big Sam.... Who didn't do a bad job! Yes, S.A. had lots of (Eddie's) money but I think it's possible to do it more sustainably, especially with the ever increasing pressure on clubs to spend within their means.

Notice that I haven't attempted to discredit any of the suggested alternative managers - there's no point, as already stated none of us can prove anything. BUT, I'd be amazed if there's another manager, anywhere, who could tick all the above boxes .... Plus probably a few more that I've overlooked.

Good post.

Lots to agree on. 1,2 and 4 no debate for me.

3 I think it’s key we get out this year (not just because I want promotion) momentum is defo with the club at the moment and I appreciate this is all quick I think we need to capitalise. In regards to next season if we don’t go up this time. I felt that last season. I don’t see it as a given as the playing staff changes so much in the course of 1 year. Again not a negative just I think it’s difficult to call a season after currently.

Not sure what I make of point 5 as I kind of agree with you. But a little bit questions why he’d stick around. That’s bad on my part as I hate it when people called Le tissier for lack of ambition where I’d call him Loyal.

6) I would be delighted if so. What we all buzz off.

Ive always liked the fact as a club I think we give managers more time than others and it would be great if evatt is the one who repays us best (those first 6 months) where I think he’d of gone at most other places.

1 hour ago, tomski said:

Good post.

Lots to agree on. 1,2 and 4 no debate for me.

3 I think it’s key we get out this year (not just because I want promotion) momentum is defo with the club at the moment and I appreciate this is all quick I think we need to capitalise. In regards to next season if we don’t go up this time. I felt that last season. I don’t see it as a given as the playing staff changes so much in the course of 1 year. Again not a negative just I think it’s difficult to call a season after currently.

Not sure what I make of point 5 as I kind of agree with you. But a little bit questions why he’d stick around. That’s bad on my part as I hate it when people called Le tissier for lack of ambition where I’d call him Loyal.

6) I would be delighted if so. What we all buzz off.

Ive always liked the fact as a club I think we give managers more time than others and it would be great if evatt is the one who repays us best (those first 6 months) where I think he’d of gone at most other places.

Re 3 - I'm with you on this Tomski - not sure there's any guarantee we'd be nailed on to go up next season with this team if we don't this, so ideally we'll get the job done whilst we're in with a chance. A lot will depend on finances and player loans which we can't depend on. The future is unpredictable but we're in a decent position now and it would be ideal if we can capitalise on it whilst we're in with a shout.

Pretty much agree with all the rest. I just hope Evatt turns out to be as loyal as his PR suggests because I do like the idea of what he's trying to achieve.

9 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Re 3 - I'm with you on this Tomski - not sure there's any guarantee we'd be nailed on to go up next season with this team if we don't this, so ideally we'll get the job done whilst we're in with a chance. A lot will depend on finances and player loans which we can't depend on. The future is unpredictable but we're in a decent position now and it would be ideal if we can capitalise on it whilst we're in with a shout.

Pretty much agree with all the rest. I just hope Evatt turns out to be as loyal as his PR suggests because I do like the idea of what he's trying to achieve.

What worries me about 3 is evidenced by MK Don's this season. Last time they had a belting squad including some great loanees. They very nearly made it ... & the loanees returned and a couple of players. This year's batch haven't turned out to be as good & they're struggling.

It's not exactly now or never, but strike while the irons hot is the thing.

1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

What worries me about 3 is evidenced by MK Don's this season. Last time they had a belting squad including some great loanees. They very nearly made it ... & the loanees returned and a couple of players. This year's batch haven't turned out to be as good & they're struggling.

It's not exactly now or never, but strike while the irons hot is the thing.

But Plymouth are doing OK.

Don’t think Evatt will stay with us till he retires. I’m sure he will do his best to part on good terms though.

iirc Sharon was weighing up between Evatt and Ryan Lowe when making the appointment. The latter now managing Preston. So I’m sure Sharon recognises the important qualities a manager should have.

Think whether Evatt stays or goes in the near or far future, we have a brilliant owner and now a structure  and a style of play in place that we can build off.

Im sure when Dean Smith left Brentford for Villa some of the Brentford fans would’ve been despairing but then they got Thomas Frank in who’s doing a fantastic job.

In Sharon we trust 🙏🙏🙏

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Horwich said:

It took Sunderland 4 years to get out of this league, I expect at least the same with Bolton.

they also made 2 PJ finals, winning one, losing one, and the POs 3 out of 4

so it's a tough act to follow

• 3 weeks later...

Reading Evatt's latest press release in the BN he makes some good points about operating within a budget. Sure Ipswich's left back cost more than the entire team we put out against them and that we have to develop young players to be able to compete with the big money teams, but whilst it's true we have Morley, Toal and Thomason plus whoever can progress from the B team, we aren't quite there yet and in essence we're investing in the clubs we loan kids from - not BWFC.

I suppose we are building up a decent reputation as a nursery for the rich clubs, but the better quality we loan the more expensive they become, the less likely it is we'll have them longer term and our own prospects get less opportunities to progress.

I appreciate that striking the right balance between short term success on the pitch and long term progress as a club is tricky but I suspect we are leaning a bit to far into the loan side of the market.

I think it’s a building process Lusty. Finding nuggets of players is difficult so it will probably be loans for a while yet but to be fair in Toal and Morley plus Dapo IE has done well. We seem to have one or two promising kids behind the scenes but obviously it takes a year or two for them to mature to first team capability. I think Evatt’s done a stellar job so far and even if we don’t make promotion this year I’d back him to next season. As for long term, things can change quickly and if we were to get into the Championship it wouldn’t surprise me if SB sold to someone with deeper pockets and the IE relationship might change?

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

3 more years of Brand Evatt. Brilliant news

Excellent news, isn't it?

Perhaps the £100k he owes the club and the shares he holds helped him decide 😉

7 minutes ago, bolton in bedford said:

Very happy with that, him committing to three years would suggest he’s going to get the resources he thinks he needs.

Yes, think thats correct. Im sure he wouldnt have signed a new long term contract if the players resources wasnt right. Also good to tie him down in case any other club coming sniffing!

By the time of his next contract extension in 2026, we will be fighting for a Europa League spot in the top 6 of the Premier League.

Our stadium will have been expanded to 40,000 to accommodate our enormous ST holders thanks to Neil Hart, who hasn't slept for 4 years and has a statue built next to the ticket office.

Okocha, SKD & Hierro will be back as Evatts backing staff.

The fanzone will be the size of Bolton arena and will have a Carr's Pasties factory built inside.

Evatts bringing the glory days back 

Edited by Lostock Whites