Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Brand Evatt

desperado

• Site Supporter

There will be some substance to it, whether that’s on line, face-to-face or both, otherwise why would they be making an issue of it? 

I doubt we will get to hear specifics and I’m not sure why anyone would  want to - I’m sure we can all guess. 

I’m not sure why any decent fan would have an issue with this. 

“Don’t get me wrong, we welcome criticism where it is fair and constructive - as football is a subjective game - but when it crosses the line and becomes aggressive, vitriolic and personal then we will simply not accept it.” 

What on earth is wrong with some people? We’re all passionate about our team but there is absolutely no excuse either verbally or on line for abuse, especially when we’re sitting 3rd in the table. OK the performance against Wigan was awful and most players had a bad day but it happens. Look at Port Vale trounced 7-0 in their first game and look where they are now. As for IE, he will always do what he believes is right whatever we think because he’s going to judged on it. I wasn’t at Burton so can’t comment on what might have been said by some but if we are to get promoted this year we need to get behind and support management and players not create animosity which will only hamper us.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

we need to get behind and support management and players not create animosity which will only hamper us

Completely agree.

And to be honest, before people jump on that Evatts had it easy etc etc. The large majority are behind Evatt and FV - Evatt gets a lot of vocal backing during games

And that quote acknowledges this. We are talking a tiny minority, but that shouldn’t mean it should be ignored when the abuse happens.

Edited by desperado

Didn't hear or see anything directed at Evatt Saturday, and I was sat with the stiffs. There was a cacophony of moaning throughout but I don't suppose that's any different since time began.

Did hear someone scream "FUCKIN SHOOT!" when a player was on the far touchline though!

1 minute ago, Marc505 said:

"Plan B is just Plan A but better" 😂

I don’t think just criticism is the problem it’s obviously gone further than that. Iles doesn’t make abusive statements just opinions which is fine but abuse is never right. I can’t see it being from the actual game, although you always get one or two, more likely to be on line and if so then maybe IE and the players ought to give their accounts a break. Surely though, they must realise that 99% of the fans are fully behind them and whilst some might have a moan, especially after the Wigan performance, the majority are still supportive. 

Was behind the goal at Burton, there was plenty of moaning and groaning including from me, but the only abuse I heard was to the stewards and the speed of response to the guy who took ill.

Players coming to take corners in front of us were cheered on (until we took a short one!), but heard no abuse. Like others I left sharpish at the end.

2 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

I don’t think just criticism is the problem it’s obviously gone further than that. Iles doesn’t make abusive statements just opinions which is fine but abuse is never right. I can’t see it being from the actual game, although you always get one or two, more likely to be on line and if so then maybe IE and the players ought to give their accounts a break. Surely though, they must realise that 99% of the fans are fully behind them and whilst some might have a moan, especially after the Wigan performance, the majority are still supportive. 

Oh for sure, its an absolute disgrace what people think they have a right to say to others on social media, twitter especially. I honestly don't know why any footballer would bother having an account particularly if they have anything less than seriously thick skin.

It is incredible that we go from biggest and best club in the known universe one week to warnings having to be given out about abuse of players and staff the next. Is it like this at every club or are we some sort of feral exception?!

Smaller grounds like Burton bring fans closer to players / staff and vice versa, at pitchside and even when entering/leaving stadium. Easier for something nasty to be picked up, and that's before the social media side of it.

Bit different at ours, dug outs a bit further from fans though no doubt easy enough for Evatt and directors to hear stuff if somebody gives it out loud enough. They didn't exactly leave our pitch after Wigan to a cacophony of boos, most folk had just voted with their feet by then.

There is a bit of recent previous on this though and maybe some of the over the top stick Kachunga got last season hasn't been forgotten.

Bit odd that Hart's been in the mix too, can understand folk having gripes about this and that but giving out pelters to that extent over tickets, bus services, leaky roofs? 

I'm on Twitter and it's a shame that it basically works whereby the players felt they had to stay off it after Wigan and again on Sat, probably only to resurface next time we play all right. 'Fans' can't have it both ways, enjoying the idea they're close to the players through that sort of engagement with them but expecting free rein to give them dogs abuse that would border on malicious communications if they've had an off day.

Maybe if somebody like Dempsey, who the Twitterati would be likely to take it from, had gone on there and said 'sorry folks we were shit today' it might have taken the heat out of it a bit. I notice Jay Lynch did something like that after dropping a bollock for Fleetwood on Sat and it was pretty well received. I've no answers to this, just thinking out loud, it's the way of the modern, social media driven football world I suppose.

I'm sorry, is the club threatening bans to people here who give Hart and Evatt a bit of stick? Even online?

Get fucked. Who's the barometer of the nastiness? Is there an objective metric or just if one of them gets their feelings hurt?

It's pathetic for me this. This sort of softness from top to bottom is the reason we get spanked in big games against rivals that are far more up for it than we are. 

Edited by meanderson93