Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Robotic Hoovers

Zico

On 01/12/2022 at 19:45, Nowack said:

I believe that spare parts and maintenance play a big part in the popularity of the Henry for professionals. I'm guessing Shark and Dyson are buggers to renovate or repair on the cheap.

Apart from the motor hardly a thing on Dyson canr be replaced without tools. 

• Site Supporter
On 01/12/2022 at 19:45, Nowack said:

I believe that spare parts and maintenance play a big part in the popularity of the Henry for professionals. I'm guessing Shark and Dyson are buggers to renovate or repair on the cheap.

Both have poor build quality and easily break. 

Numatic are quite robust, I dropped one down a customers stairs and just turned it off n back on again.. 

Just a shame the suction is poor. 

Anyone got a robot lawnmower? A guy came round in the summer offering one for £1600 including docking station and fitting the undersoil signal cable. From what I can gather it roams around all day cutting the grass really short but doesn't collect cuttings - just mulches the lawn with it.

Are they reliable?

Do they use tons of electricity?

Do the cuttings promote moss?

Any other problems?

Need to know this stuff because the missus wants one and whilst it would save me a job, they're f****** expensive IMO so unless they are the mutz nutz I won't be bothering.

1 hour ago, Wanderlust said:

Anyone got a robot lawnmower? A guy came round in the summer offering one for £1600 including docking station and fitting the undersoil signal cable. From what I can gather it roams around all day cutting the grass really short but doesn't collect cuttings - just mulches the lawn with it.

Are they reliable?

Do they use tons of electricity?

Do the cuttings promote moss?

Any other problems?

Need to know this stuff because the missus wants one and whilst it would save me a job, they're f****** expensive IMO so unless they are the mutz nutz I won't be bothering.

cheaper to buy a goat..

Or for £1600, you can probably hire some scruffy gardener to come round with his petrol mower and cut your lawns about 100 times, which must be about 10 years worth of cuts

• Moderators

update on mine

it never turned up

the amazon app said it had been delivered to #36 and signed for by Dan

#36 didn't know anything about it and there's no one lives there called Dan

checked at #42 as she's called Fran, but no, and no sign of it down to #30

there's even a street with the same name about 2 miles away, but that's doesn't have a #36 or #40

so no idea where it is

then when I went on amazon and used a chat bot to report it as having not turned up, i immediately got a refund, no quetions asked

not ordered a new one yet just on the off chance it turns up somewhere

but amazon clearly don't give a fuck, and makes you think about what you could order, receive, then claim hasn't turned up and get your money back on, if it's that easy

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Sweep said:

cheaper to buy a goat..

Or for £1600, you can probably hire some scruffy gardener to come round with his petrol mower and cut your lawns about 100 times, which must be about 10 years worth of cuts

aye

we pay two lads £20 every other week (it's a bit embarrasing as in it would take me ages, I'd happily pay them double, they need to put their prices up)

that's 3 years worth and I don't have to find the space for a mower

no brainer

9 minutes ago, Zico said:

but amazon clearly don't give a fuck, and makes you think about what you could order, receive, then claim hasn't turned up and get your money back on, if it's that easy

Almost anything, they really aren't arsed at all. Anytime I've claimed back, it's never been questioned. I even a few weeks ago tried to return a patio furniture cover, as it wasn't big enough, they just told me to keep it and sent me a larger one

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Almost anything, they really aren't arsed at all. Anytime I've claimed back, it's never been questioned. I even a few weeks ago tried to return a patio furniture cover, as it wasn't big enough, they just told me to keep it and sent me a larger one

I doubt you could get away with it repeatedly, and address / payment methods would get flagged

but there's opporunities for those that way inclined

probably items of a certain value just aren't worth spending any time for them to chase up on, and they make that much money, it's probably easier to just write it off

and I bet the drivers know that as well, funny that the first thing to never turn up is worth £320

12 minutes ago, Zico said:

and I bet the drivers know that as well, funny that the first thing to never turn up is worth £320

Had similar with deliveroo during lockdown 

We ordered a meal for two and included a couple of bottles of beers 

Never turned up 

To complain you had to do within 24 hours, but it's 9pm and the number you ring doesn't open till 9am, so that's 12 hours lost 

Then nobody answers it 

The reviews you leave are for the restaurant, who did their job, can't say anything about the driver though

He got a nice meal and beers out of us, the cunt 

44 minutes ago, Sweep said:

But do Amazon take the hit or is it the person selling into Amazon who maybe can't afford to lose the revenue?

1 hour ago, Zico said:

update on mine

it never turned up

the amazon app said it had been delivered to #36 and signed for by Dan

#36 didn't know anything about it and there's no one lives there called Dan

checked at #42 as she's called Fran, but no, and no sign of it down to #30

there's even a street with the same name about 2 miles away, but that's doesn't have a #36 or #40

so no idea where it is

then when I went on amazon and used a chat bot to report it as having not turned up, i immediately got a refund, no quetions asked

not ordered a new one yet just on the off chance it turns up somewhere

I get random free shit from Amazon all the time.

16 minutes ago, freds dad said:

But do Amazon take the hit or is it the person selling into Amazon who maybe can't afford to lose the revenue?

I honestly don't know. I wouldn't falsely claim I'd not had something delivered, but I know plenty of people probably do

4 hours ago, mickbrown said:

I get random free shit from Amazon all the time.

Never had anything much worth having for free. The weirdest thing I've had free was during lockdown, when randomly a meal and some beers turned up. Clearly the wrong address, but I thought bollocks to it, as I was hungry, so scoffed the lot and quaffed the beers.

Edited by Sweep

That said my other half gets flowers delivered from an online company 

They sent her an email saying they'd delivered it but no flowers outside 

Went back to them saying they've not been delivered 

They sent a pic of the flowers outside a front door, which is clearly not our front door saying they did 

Asked them to check that front door against all the other pics they have of our front door, as she's used them for months, so must have other pics when they have been delivered

Awaiting a response 

34 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Never had anything free. The weirdest thing I've had free was during lockdown, when randomly a meal and some beers turned up. Clearly the wrong address, but I thought bollocks to it, as I was hungry, so scoffed the lot and quaffed the beers.

In the words of Liam Neeson

I will find you and I will kill you 

😀

2 hours ago, Zico said:

update on mine

it never turned up

Same happened with one the missus ordered a few weeks ago. We think that as it was on special offer that it was never dispatched in the first place as they did the refund no questions asked.

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, Nowack said:

Same happened with one the missus ordered a few weeks ago. We think that as it was on special offer that it was never dispatched in the first place as they did the refund no questions asked.

Probably that 

But just checked the link on the first page and it's down to £199 now 

Here we go again 

12 hours ago, Zico said:

aye

we pay two lads £20 every other week (it's a bit embarrasing as in it would take me ages, I'd happily pay them double, they need to put their prices up)

that's 3 years worth and I don't have to find the space for a mower

no brainer

Can't find cheap labour round here - gardener quoting £25/hr - although he differentiates himself from a goat by claiming he can tell the difference between the lawn and the flower beds.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Can't find cheap labour round here - gardener quoting £25/hr - although he differentiates himself from a goat by claiming he can tell the difference between the lawn and the flower beds.

25ph to do a lawn is cheap imo 

Our two lads get it done in no time with a decent mower 

It'd take me ages with a standard mower 

No chance 

9 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

How much cheaper do you think it should be, that looks very reasonable to me.