Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Some Memories From Yesterday:

MickyD

• Site Supporter

Metro Taxi driver trying to rip me off. I'd booked a mini-bus to Radcliffe tram stop and was told it'd be ?15. Imagine my surprise when, overnight, inflation had increased this quote to ?21. I fucked him off and told him of the quote. He phoned the office and asked how much and the woman told him ?15. He put the phone down and said he'd made a mistake, it was only ?17. He got ?15 the cheating bastard!

Caught the 08.05 train from piccadilly. Once it had set off, wife and I shifted seats to ones marked reserved Manchester to London. It was obvious that the reservers hadn't got on the train and it allowed us to sit closer to our kids. Just after Northampton a huge black american bloke asked us to move as we were in his seats. I told him to do one and he asked to see my reservation. I asked if he was empowered by Virgin Trains to act as a ticket inspector and he looked confused and stood waiting. He showed me his reservation and I noticed it had a load of small print so I asked him to check it all just in case he'd missed the bit that, I assured him, contained the warning that allowed me to sit in his seat if he hadn't claimed it within 5 minutes of departure. I couldn't believe it when he started reading! We got to Euston and I apologised to him for making him look a twat.:whistle:

The Bear public house. Expensive but not as expensive as I thought it'd be.

Lots of WW posters in there. It was like they'd transported Scotts Bar to Wembley!

How mixed-race is Wembley? It seemed the only white faces had either Bolton or Stoke shirts on!

Sing-a-long-a-Cas! Joining the Ant Hill Mob for a good old fashion sing song. If one or two of the yoof and kids had stayed around they may have learned that we don't JUST sing Owen Coyle's Super White Army!

Shit game.

Train ride home sat opposite a couple of decent Stoke fans who comiserated with our performance and said they weren't expecting such a roll-over.

Stoke on Trent station full of Stoke fans. Didn't they stay around to celebrate their victory?

Had a chat and pic with David Lee who was with his family and mixing with the fans

Top bloke, mithered by all and sundry including my Dad but happily shook hands and posed for pics with whoever asked him. :good:

Looked fit enough to still play 90 mins, and looking back he should have started instead of Petrov.

my favourite part of the day was the few hours before k/o outside the Greyhound. sat on the grass passing spliffs round between people i had no idea who they where. getting into he ibis outside the ground 15 mins before k/o was also funny . we are in room 55 psl room 55 haha. blatently knew we wasnt staying there but at least they served us.

I had a top day out meself and once again the football ruins the day out :good:

My wembley record is bobbins seen us win once in '95 and Torquay late80's but cant realy remember that.

• Site Supporter

Oh we keep chickens in our back yard we feed 'em on Indian corn

We don't carry hammers

Who's that coming up the hill boys?

WE are the Bolton, the cock o' the north

Beltin':thumbsup:

Metro Taxi driver trying to rip me off. I'd booked a mini-bus to Radcliffe tram stop and was told it'd be ?15. Imagine my surprise when, overnight, inflation had increased this quote to ?21. I fucked him off and told him of the quote. He phoned the office and asked how much and the woman told him ?15. He put the phone down and said he'd made a mistake, it was only ?17. He got ?15 the cheating bastard!

Caught the 08.05 train from piccadilly. Once it had set off, wife and I shifted seats to ones marked reserved Manchester to London. It was obvious that the reservers hadn't got on the train and it allowed us to sit closer to our kids. Just after Northampton a huge black american bloke asked us to move as we were in his seats. I told him to do one and he asked to see my reservation. I asked if he was empowered by Virgin Trains to act as a ticket inspector and he looked confused and stood waiting. He showed me his reservation and I noticed it had a load of small print so I asked him to check it all just in case he'd missed the bit that, I assured him, contained the warning that allowed me to sit in his seat if he hadn't claimed it within 5 minutes of departure. I couldn't believe it when he started reading! We got to Euston and I apologised to him for making him look a twat.:whistle:

The Bear public house. Expensive but not as expensive as I thought it'd be.

Lots of WW posters in there. It was like they'd transported Scotts Bar to Wembley!

A1 post that Micky ! We did have a good drink!

How mixed-race is Wembley? It seemed the only white faces had either Bolton or Stoke shirts on!

Sing-a-long-a-Cas! Joining the Ant Hill Mob for a good old fashion sing song. If one or two of the yoof and kids had stayed around they may have learned that we don't JUST sing Owen Coyle's Super White Army!

Shit game.

Train ride home sat opposite a couple of decent Stoke fans who comiserated with our performance and said they weren't expecting such a roll-over.

Stoke on Trent station full of Stoke fans. Didn't they stay around to celebrate their victory?

Oh we keep chickens in our back yard we feed 'em on Indian corn

We don't carry hammers

Who's that coming up the hill boys?

WE are the Bolton, the cock o' the north

Beltin':thumbsup:

Great songs and were all being sung in the swiss cottage. Remember this one - Bertie Mee said to Don Revie, have you heard of the North Bank Highbury, Don says no I dont think so, but Ive heard of the Lever Enders, Na na na na na na na, na na na na na na na, we are the Lever Enders :thumbsup:

I recognised a bloke wearing a wanderers scarf walking the concourse and let on to him, he nodded back - twas Andrew 'Chubby' Chandler, golf manager supremo.

Oh, the only good thing to have come out of all this is that my wanderers shirt and trackie top have finally had a wash, I wore them both at York home, decided they were lucky omens so wore them (without washing out

the obvious good luck they carried) at Wigan home and away, Fulham, Birmingham and Wembley,

Edited by Barnstoneworth White

My breakfast in Metropolis on Baker St came within 3 minutes of ordering it...all downhill from there

Anyone else go in the Volunteer on Baker St, next to Sherlock Holmes museum? Had some decent real ales on.

At least before the day went downhill we were near Westminster and got to see the Marathon winner trot past at 2:02 with about 2 mins to go, so day wasn't all spoiled. Also spotted Jack Rodwell with his fine looking missus, wandering around right under Big Ben.

First pint in the pub at Reading station about 10.45, mate turned up about half hour later, then another before train at 11.30 to Paddington.

Big pack of cheese and onion Walkers on train surrounded by loads of Arsenal and a fella with two young lads about 8, one in an Arsenal kit and the other in Liverpool so god knows where he was sitting.

Tube to Baker Street. One minute to get on fast one to Wembley Park, just made it by sticking arm in the door when it was just closing. Asked the nearest lad it is was the fast one to Uxbridge to which I got 'Fuck off you c**t'. Nice! Doors closed. Mate notices that the only lot in the carriage were about 30 Stoke lads and about 10 police. Obvious that this lot had been tracked through and an eye was being kept. Moved away from the door and nearer to the coppers as 30 v 2 didn't look that decent odds and some of them lads looked a bit tasty!

Off at Wembley Park and packed with Stoke. Wrong end of the ground so made way to The Greyhound via an offie for a tinnie.

Whites were in full voice around the stadium and remember some old Stoke geezer must have been about 90 having a pop at me, "Does that clown Nat Lofthouse still play for you?". Laughed it off at the time but thinking back I would have kicked his walking stick from under him as he sounded like he was serious and had obviously thought about this little dig at a Bolton fan for a while.

Bumped into an old mate and his missus and nipper further down the way but Greyhound was heaving so into Mannions over the road. F'ing good sing song, few pints, offie for a tinnie and fags and back for KO.

Thank fuck the seats my mate got from the FA were in the Bolton end. Block 123, spot on, right on the half way line 21 rows back, right on the segregation bit opp the dug outs. A Stokie over the segregation bit really pissed me off all game giving it large. On his own, absolute tosser who eventually on about 75 mins got warned by the stewards. Even at mid 40s and never an 'ard git really the beer kicked in and I really thought about getting over to him but didn't. Shit game, not amused by scuffles white on white, ?8.90 for chips and chicken bits, got pissed on in the bogs by some lad who must of had the most ppowerful piss I ever heard as it rebounded off the silver bit and soaked my arm, washed arm and hands, left on 85 mins and back to Paddington as mate had had enough and pints were off his agenda. Second time I've left early in over 800 games apart from being lobbed out. First one was at Fulham about 3 years back when I felt shit and it was freezing - Carling Cup I think. Couldn't face extra time.

XL bacon double cheeseburger at Paddington and train with a load of Arsenal about 6 Stoke and 1 Bolton from Wokingham with his mate in the buffet bit. Two tinnies and the chance of a chat with a real fittie who was on her way back from the London Marathon with her medal and all that. She told me she was part of the elite marathon squad so fair play. Beer thoughts about how fit and firm her bod must be started so suggested that it might be a good idea to go for a quick drink in Reading and she agreed. Happy days!

Sat in bar in Reading and who turns up but the missus's ex and the step son back from the Arsenal. Now in deep shit and a bit of a panic on but thought 'Fuck it' so taxi back to her place. She wouldn't let me in as she was 'tired' so off to the local for last orders and home about 11.30pm.

Woke up to find the business card of the fittie in the pocket so meeting for lunch on Wednesday.

Now waiting for missus to start asking questions when she's told what the ex and her lad saw. I'll worry about that when it happens.

Always a white and here's to another day of memories, good or bad, as they come with the territory of being a white.

One memory puzzles me ....

We were told the ?60 seats were the first to sell out, yet there were loads of empty seats in those sections (both North & South sides) throughout the match.

WTF was all that about ?

Edited by Rembrandt

The ?60 bit around the bottom bit at half way was part of the neutral area i.e all the tickets we (& Stoke) didn't get allocated. I was in there in Block 123 and loads free near me although quite a few suddenly got occupied after half time. Had a load of foreigners around me after half time.

Wierd bit was the Stoke bit looked a lot fuller than out bit, but may be I am wrong.

The rendition of 10 German bombers in JJ Moons after to game made me so proud in a kind of whatever happens we will always be proud to be associated with our great club. The conga line whilst chanting ''were all going to Blackpool'' made me chuckle. I've literally just began to sober up this morning after 4 days on the pop so the result has hit me now but hats off the the majority of Bolton fans who took the result extremely gracefully, don't imagine it would have been the same had we won 5-0 though. If its not White its not Right!!.

The ?60 bit around the bottom bit at half way was part of the neutral area i.e all the tickets we (& Stoke) didn't get allocated. I was in there in Block 123 and loads free near me although quite a few suddenly got occupied after half time. Had a load of foreigners around me after half time.

Wierd bit was the Stoke bit looked a lot fuller than out bit, but may be I am wrong.

Not just the bit of the lower tier near halfway - all the lower tier right along to the goal line on both sides of the stadium had loads of empty seats all match ......... the same areas at the other side of halfway were full of Stoke fans.

Yet we were told the Whites ?60 seats were all sold out days in advance. Weird.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.