Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Messi

gonzo

Not sure you can say that about 1 free kick. Fucking hell!

Messi looked knacked last night and in the semi; if be surprised if he was fully fit

If you want to judge how good a player is purely on 6 games every 4 years then fair enough, but I won't

I agree you can't judge on one isolated moment like a free kick but I did find it pretty funny. Without question the pressure got to him and he bottled it.

The other thing is after 2006 world world cup it was said he couldn't be judged on one world cup

the same was said in 2010

surely after three world cups he can be judged?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree you can't judge on one isolated moment like a free kick but I did find it pretty funny. Without question the pressure got to him and he bottled it.

The other thing is after 2006 world world cup it was said he couldn't be judged on one world cup

No worse than Higuain's 1 on 1, now that was shit.

and he's had a very good WC, 4 goals and the most chances created.

Edited by Didledee

Not sure you can say that about 1 free kick. Fucking hell!

Messi looked knacked last night and in the semi; if be surprised if he was fully fit

If you want to judge how good a player is purely on 6 games every 4 years then fair enough, but I won't

Agreed, but not the player of the tournament?

and who was judging Messi after the 2006 WC, a teenager, not yet the Messi he is now, Ronaldinho the star of Barca at the time, Messi didn't have the status he has now, just a young exciting player, the beginning of what he'd become.

He was on the bench and played a few times, scored and assisted.

2010 a good tournament bar the Germany game, missed many chances but created many goals.

Edited by Didledee

Also agreed, not for me.

He hardly bottled it though

No, he didn't.

Probably not fully fit and Argentina didn't have Xavi and Iniesta

• Moderators

To be considered the world greatest you have to turn in the performances in the worlds greatest games of football.

Bottling bastard.

It's alright scoring 5 against FC Scorchio in the Spanish cup every week,big finals is where it's at.

This guy fails every time.

CR7 all the way.

CR7 bottled it against Greece on home soil

Be judged in what way?

06 he had been injured and barely played

10 he was decent from memory but they got hammered by the krauts

14 he was decent, but not the best player there

He's had ample opportunity to be "the best ever" and for me with those chances he hasn't taken it. I wouldn't call him a bottler though - that's the Dutch players refusing to take a pen, or if he didn't want that free kick late on....

But throughout that time his club career achievements still makes him an all time great

Pretty sure he will also play in 2018 barring injury so he still has chance to "make history"

He was never player of the tournament.

He wasn't right though, that was clear. Playing in fits and starts. I bet he's carrying a muscle injury, the hamstring injury he's been plagued by all season probably.

Some of the over reaction... 'would rather have Schweinsteiger', 'would he get in the German team' ... fuck me. The lad scored 91 in a calendar year!

If Pele was judged after 3 World Cups he wouldn't amount to much.

58 came back into the team in the third match, scored a fluke goal in the QF and starred thereafter.

Didi was named as player of the tournament.

62 Injured himself in shooting against CzechoSlovakia in the second match and didn't play thereafter.

66 kicked off the pitch by Bulgaria in the first match, missed the second match, and was kicked beyond the bounds of any interpretation of fairness by the Portuguese. He vowed never to play in the World Cup again, but changed his mind!

If Pele was judged after 3 World Cups he wouldn't amount to much.

58 came back into the team in the third match, scored a fluke goal in the QF and starred thereafter.

Didi was named as player of the tournament.

62 Injured himself in shooting against CzechoSlovakia in the second match and didn't play thereafter.

66 kicked off the pitch by Bulgaria in the first match, missed the second match, and was kicked beyond the bounds of any interpretation of fairness by the Portuguese. He vowed never to play in the World Cup again, but changed his mind!

part of the reason why he will never be considered in the same league as maradonna

POTT? bollocks his highlight was a last gasp winner against fucking Iran or whoever.

It was Hamez Rodriguez who was the player of the tournament for me.

Not Fred?

The guy scored 42 goals for Barcelona last season and that was his worst effort in 5 years. No doubt he is currently the best player on the planet and gets critisised when he doesn't perform to the highest of standards that he has set himself. I was a little disappointed he was anonymous in the last 2 games but that happens. 

He shouldn't have been given player of the tournament I assume he got that as he was there to accept the award and have his picture taken.

Player of the tournament should have been given to Manuel Nauer if goalkeepers are allowed to win it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.