Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Help... Ambleside

Dimron

Wife's sister has invited us to come up to their rented holiday cottage next month.

It is in Ambleside, we spent a lot of time in the Lakes but mainly in the North West bit stopping in Keswick and Portinscale, twenty years ago.

We always avoided Ambleside as we thought it was too crowded and too touristy... can anyone make any suggestions about where I should:

1 Go during the day

2 Eat and drink

3 Avoid people

You need to know I can be a right cantankerous and argumentative fkkr

• Site Supporter
23 hours ago, Dimron said:

Wife's sister has invited us to come up to their rented holiday cottage next month.

It is in Ambleside, we spent a lot of time in the Lakes but mainly in the North West bit stopping in Keswick and Portinscale, twenty years ago.

We always avoided Ambleside as we thought it was too crowded and too touristy... can anyone make any suggestions about where I should:

1 Go during the day- top of a mountain. 

2 Eat and drink- take a picnic to the top of a mountain. 

3 Avoid people- stay at the top of a mountain. 

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I recall there is a big hill at the back of Glenridding that wasn't that well trekked with some interesting disused mine workings.

I want to stay away from the well tramped hills.

Any ideas?

• Site Supporter

Many years since I stayed in the lakes, and I've not done much up there.

Once drove over Cartmel fell, which seems away from crowds, and the views were excellent. 

Could Google the walk type you're after, or buy am os map and work one out that's away from the busy areas.

I always get my maps from dash4it.co.uk as they're cheaper. 

On 25/07/2021 at 20:33, Dimron said:

1 Go during the day

2 Eat and drink

3 Avoid people

Spent loads of time in Ambleside in recent years

Walks - we always head out to Grasmere, Rydal Water or Elterwater. Plenty of walks of different grades. You just need to spend time googling to find one suitable. You'll struggle to find anywhere without folk around at this time of year

Eat/drink - never had a bad meal at Jintana Thai in Ambleside. If you like Mexican and/or tapas try Bar eS. Went there in June and it was amazing. Boozer-wise they are all pretty much of a muchness. Decent ale but everywhere will be busy in August

Back up there at the beginning of September to make a second visit to Lake Road Kitchen

Lake Road Kitchen

Not for everyone as it's hugely fucking expensive (£90 per head for the 8 course menu). My last bill with food, beer and wine was £300 for me and Mrs. Rather than being deterred I couldn't wait to try a different menu. It's a once every few years type place but fuck me I've never tasted owt like it. Genuinely worth every penny if you really like your food

Ambleside is nice & even though it does get a bit busy, it's bearable because nearly all of the people are pleasant, & there's a good choice of pubs & cafes.

For walking, Langdale is only a 10 min drive away & though you'll never find complete solitude, you can find walks that are quite peaceful.

19 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Lake Road Kitchen

Not for everyone as it's hugely fucking expensive (£90 per head for the 8 course menu). My last bill with food, beer and wine was £300 for me and Mrs. Rather than being deterred I couldn't wait to try a different menu. It's a once every few years type place but fuck me I've never tasted owt like it. Genuinely worth every penny if you really like your food

Thanks for the tip and I would normally give it a whirl but I can taste fuck all at the moment 😞

20 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Spent loads of time in Ambleside in recent years

Walks - we always head out to Grasmere, Rydal Water or Elterwater. Plenty of walks of different grades. You just need to spend time googling to find one suitable. You'll struggle to find anywhere without folk around at this time of year

Is that trout fishery on Esthwaite Water still there? You used to be able to rent fishing rods and catch your own... could be a good outing away from the crowds with a supper attached.

Hopefully it'll be mizzly and I can go for a walk and not get bothered by the bucket & spade brigade

Last time we walked up Red Screes from Ambleside we didn't see another person. Had the summit to ourselves. Might have got lucky there though. Had a meal at The Old Stamp House in October. Excellent food and drink. It's got a Michelin star and it can get pricey.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Dimron said:

What do I do?

I am no longer isolated but the Mrs has caught it and is now isolating.

Therefore I can now go to Ambleside and lodge with her younger sister in Ambleside while the Mrs stays at home.

I'm avoiding the obvious reply to this.