Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

AI is coming for us

Use it to give you the structure to an answer (or presentation) but not the detail then add the detail in yourself. 

That's what I've used it for. 

That and complaining to Neil Hart CEO without sounding like an angry man. He didn't use chat Gpt for my response. 

17 minutes ago, stevieb said:

That and complaining to Neil Hart CEO without sounding like an angry man. He didn't use chat Gpt for my response. 

Because Chat GPT doesn't own any yellow crayons.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, bolton_blondie said:

It isn't. I'm thick as shit. 

Genuine question- if you can't answer the relevant questions, are you really capable of doing the job you're applying for?

Not a slur on you, but ultimately if you struggled to manage it won't do your mental health any good.

I have a family member currently in bits and destroyed by taking a job that they probably shouldn't have.

• Members
3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Genuine question- if you can't answer the relevant questions, are you really capable of doing the job you're applying for?

Not a slur on you, but ultimately if you struggled to manage it won't do your mental health any good.

I have a family member currently in bits and destroyed by taking a job that they probably shouldn't have.

Oh I am more than capable of doing the job. I just don't see how refencing and shite is relevant to me doing my job. 

• Moderators
21 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Easier to just answer the questions properly.

2 hours ago, bolton_blondie said:

Oh I am more than capable of doing the job. I just don't see how refencing and shite is relevant to me doing my job. 

aye

it's not about getting the AI to answer questions you don't knwo the answer to

well not for me it's not

it's about using it to construct your answers and knowledge in a well written and articulate way

that's what i use it for anyway

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Zico said:

aye

well not for me it's not

it's about using it to construct your answers and knowledge in a well written and articulate way

See, I find that all a bit sad.

You're articulate and capable, so why the need?

Practice makes perfect and all that!

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I think I agree. If you're incapable/too lazy to use your own brain, it sort of defeats the object of education and practice. Strange times.

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Zico said:

aye

well not for me it's not

Serious question - what did you do before AI chatbots were available? Just give up?

Edited by Cheese

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

40 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Serious question - what did you do before AI chatbots were available? Just give up?

before they were available, everything took longer

i guess you're coming it at from an angle of someone using it to avoid learning how to do something themselves, which isn't what I'd do or advise anyone else to do

so, to give a bit more context on how I use it to save time

I could spend ages trying to write some code to perform a function - I know how to code, and can write the language, but if the function is complex, it can take time think about how to put it together, test, refine, test, etc till it's working

it's just a function to help me do something with some data, like format it, or pull it in from an array of data, it's not code where something like an entire workflow system relies up on it, so it's no big deal to get a bot to write it

so I tell the bot what I am trying to do, and it gives me the code that does it - more often than not, I have to tweak it to get it exactly how i want - but it will take me half an hour now, where previously it may have taken two hours, maybe more, sometimes I did give up, coding can be a cunt at times

I work for myself, time is money

likewise, I do blog posts on my site, they can take a while, but the chat bot helps me churn it out quicker - I still write some of it, but AI can do the bulk of it if I direct it and give it instruction as to what I want, so saves me a couple of hours at least per post

I also do research and content breifs for clients to product content for websites, from product descriptions to full articles - previously once I do the research and complete the brief, i give it to an in house writer or hire a freelance writer - because my writing style isn't professional, so if it needs to be a certain tone, best to just let an experienced writer do it, but with my direction and input so I get the article i want

now i don't need to use another person, I can give the chat bot the breif and charge the client for the article myself, rather than pay a writer to do it

so I not only save time, I can product the article for less than a writer would charge for it, which is good for my business, and good for the client, they approve all content before publishing it, so if it was shit, they'd say so

like in that tweet above, someone can pay an artist to design a poster for, arguements sake, £500

or, somone can get AI to do it for nothing, other than the time it takes to learn how to do it, and to then implement it

so if you require artwork on a regular basis, why learn to draw, or pay more than you need to for an artist, when AI can do it

bad news for creative sorts that AI can do artwork and write content

but good news for me

technology has always done this to people, all those artists no doubt use technology to do jobs humans once did, so I comfortable with the ethical side of it

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Zico said:

i guess you're coming it at from an angle of someone using it to avoid learning how to do something themselves, which isn't what I'd do or advise anyone else to do

I could spend ages trying to write some code to perform a function - I know how to code, and can write the language, but if the function is complex, it can take time think about how to put it together, test, refine, test, etc till it's working

it's just a function to help me do something with some data, like format it, or pull it in from an array of data, it's not code where something like an entire workflow system relies up on it, so it's no big deal to get a bot to write it

so I tell the bot what I am trying to do, and it gives me the code that does it - more often than not, I have to tweak it to get it exactly how i want - but it will take me half an hour now, where previously it may have taken two hours, maybe more, sometimes I did give up, coding can be a cunt at times

likewise, I do blog posts on my site, they can take a while, but the chat bot helps me churn it out quicker - I still write some of it, but AI can do the bulk of it if I direct it and give it instruction as to what I want, so saves me a couple of hours at least per post

I also do research and content breifs for clients to product content for websites, from product descriptions to full articles - previously once I do the research and complete the brief, i give it to an in house writer or hire a freelance writer - because my writing style isn't professional, so if it needs to be a certain tone, best to just let an experienced writer do it, but with my direction and input so I get the article i want

now i don't need to use another person, I can give the chat bot the breif and charge the client for the article myself, rather than pay a writer to do it

so I not only save time, I can product the article for less than a writer would charge for it, which is good for my business, and good for the client, they approve all content before publishing it, so if it was shit, they'd say so

like in that tweet above, someone can pay an artist to design a poster for, arguements sake, £500

or, somone can get AI to do it for nothing, other than the time it takes to learn how to do it, and to then implement it

so if you require artwork on a regular basis, why learn to draw, or pay more than you need to for an artist, when AI can do it

but good news for me

technology has always done this to people, all those artists no doubt use technology to do jobs humans once did, so I comfortable with the ethical side of it

That's all perfectly reasonable. I completely understand from the coding side of it as I can't code and have used ChatGPT to write bits of code for my own entertainment. Have you reduced your charging rate to account for the fact you're doing less work and have less over-heads? Or informed your customers that you're using AI to generate the thing they're paying for? In the near future, they'll be able to do it themselves anyway. This is not a personal dig, as it is clearly the way things are heading.

On 09/05/2023 at 16:14, CambridgeBWFC said:

I dont see how, it may get picked up by plagiarism checkers, but you can run it through these. 

It is a concern we have for application questions we use for jobs. It gives great answers and doesn't duplicate these, also if you ask it if it wrote an answer it says it is unable to confirm this.

It is going to be a difficult Problem for schools, universities and employers to tackle 

I know of a bloke who is looking at using it to assess students.

His reasoning is that in the real world you learn by asking questions. The better questions you ask, the better you learn.

He's looking at how to record the questions a student will ask and assess them on that and how they get to their learning outcome.

28 minutes ago, Zico said:

but good news for me

Have I just read our first AI generated post here?

15 minutes ago, Cheese said:

That's all perfectly reasonable. I completely understand from the coding side of it as I can't code and have used ChatGPT to write bits of code for my own entertainment. Have you reduced your charging rate to account for the fact you're doing less work and have less over-heads? Or informed your customers that you're using AI to generate the thing they're paying for? In the near future, they'll be able to do it themselves anyway. This is not a personal dig, as it is clearly the way things are heading.

Coding wise, a decent analogy is it's like a carpenter using a table saw as opposed to a hand saw.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Coding wise, a decent analogy is it's like a carpenter using a table saw as opposed to a hand saw.

Yeah, I totally get the coding thing, then the human coder tweeks the code. Although I'm certain that step won't be required soon either.

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Cheese said:

no, I'm now more profitable

the clients are paying for expertise and an outcome of value to them, I stopped charging for my time a while ago, I don't do things by the hour anymore

regards the coding, the AI is just helping me along, I don't need to tell the client

regards the content, yes I tell them, they still need me to do the research, and plan the content so it's well optimised and designed to drive search traffic, but now they get it quicker because we don't need a content writer, so are happy to pay me less than what they would normally have to pay for something that is of the same quality and gets the same results

again, another way of looking at it

pay a content writer £300 to write an article

or me £200

they still get the same out of it, but it'll take me a fraction of the it takes the writer, so I'm doing well out of it, and so are they

in the future, the client may well write it themselves, but they'll have to learn how to use AI and to do SEO research in the context of their site and it's data, and they normally have other things to do which is why they employ me in the first place

AI may well do all most of what I do sometime soon

but it will still need someone who knows what it's doing to tell them what it is they need to do, and to ensure it's done properly

any by the time it doesn't I'll hopefully be retired

32 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Are you on drugs?

• Site Supporter
35 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Imagine charging less for the same service when gas bills are now measured in bullion.

Youre a bit mad, you.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Zico said:

no, I'm now more profitable

the clients are paying for expertise and an outcome of value to them, I stopped charging for my time a while ago, I don't do things by the hour anymore

regards the coding, the AI is just helping me along, I don't need to tell the client

regards the content, yes I tell them, they still need me to do the research, and plan the content so it's well optimised and designed to drive search traffic, but now they get it quicker because we don't need a content writer, so are happy to pay me less than what they would normally have to pay for something that is of the same quality and gets the same results

again, another way of looking at it

pay a content writer £300 to write an article

or me £200

they still get the same out of it, but it'll take me a fraction of the it takes the writer, so I'm doing well out of it, and so are they

in the future, the client may well write it themselves, but they'll have to learn how to use AI and to do SEO research in the context of their site and it's data, and they normally have other things to do which is why they employ me in the first place

AI may well do all most of what I do sometime soon

but it will still need someone who knows what it's doing to tell them what it is they need to do, and to ensure it's done properly

any by the time it doesn't I'll hopefully be retired

Good time to be using it then, and I don't blame you. In a few years (if not less), they'll be able to cut you out altogether. There's not much to learn regarding using AI as it is when it comes to written text or coding. You just tell it what to do, and it generally does it.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, jeep said:

Are you on drugs?

No, it was a genuine question. In the days that it took a carpenter 4 hours to saw a plank by hand, I'm pretty sure they stopped charging as much when mechanical saws were invented. They just got more work that could be done faster. And if they didn't, their customers said "Why the fuck am I paying you to cut a plank of wood by hand that could be done by a machine at a fraction of the price?"

Edited by Cheese

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Good time to be using it then, and I don't blame you. In a few years (if not less), they'll be able to cut you out altogether. There's not much to learn regarding using AI as it is when it comes to written text or coding. You just tell it what to do, and it generally does it.

folk are knocking out all sorts of stuff where you just tell it what to do

this was one of the first the blew my mind

check out some of the "photos" or images it produces

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Spider said:

Imagine charging less for the same service when gas bills are now measured in bullion.

Youre a bit mad, you.

It's not necessarily the same service though. Would you pay a coding expert twice the price to do something a kid with access to google could do? Or do it for free yourself via google? Speaking theoretically of course, but that's the future.

• Moderators

he put this in the prompt

Editorial style photo, eye-level, off-center, steampunk truck, luxury hotel, new york city, soft lighting, exquisite, opulent, prestigious, 4k --ar 16:9

and got this

FqUX8UqXwAEb26K?format=jpg&name=small

or this:

cinematic shot, eye level, side-view, 1990 Harley-Davidson Fat Boy, tokyo, city center, moody lighting, aggressive, loud, fast, 4k, cinematic composition, professional color grading --ar 16:9

FqUbXRuWcAIwf4p?format=jpg&name=small