Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Managerial Roundabout

superjohnmcginlay

1 hour ago, superjohnmcginlay said:

Didn’t Stuart Pearce put David James on as a striker once? 

Strange you should mention that, I'm reading Nedhum Onuoha's autobiography (he's got an interesting tale or 2) and he talks about that.  City needed to win at Boro on the last day, it was between the 2 of them who would qualify for Europe.  1-1 going into the 88th minute with City piling the pressure on. Then Pearce took Claudio Reyna off and instead of bringing on Jon Macken (striker) he brought on Nicky Weaver - who went in goal and David James came out of the nets and went up front.

According to Onuoha, he could hardly kick a ball, he was there to just cause chaos.  City got a corner and Onuoha checked with the bench if he could go up for it and Pearce said no - Nicky Weaver was on the halfway line, James was up front and City's England U21 defender (who started as a striker in youth football) was in his words "the only player in football history to have 2 goalkeepers in their own team playing ahead of them"  😀  Anyway City got a penalty in the 92nd minute, Robbie Fowler missed it, Boro qualified for Europe at City's expense and Boro got to the UEFA Cup final the next year!  (Onuoha thought Pearce was a very odd manager but nothing to what he thought of Mancini as a manager and a person, he couldn't stand the sight of him). 

1 hour ago, W.cramp said:

Sounds like the game,  memory a bit shot but sure a grey police horse fell into a ditch at the edge of the land.   We got into the car thinking thank fook for that only to then see said zulus coming staring into cars in the traffic jam.   Oh happy days . 

Weren't they trying to smash through the dividing wall in the ground to get to us

2 hours ago, athywhite1958 said:

We had parked at the other side of the greenery (patch of land) and the police said we couldn't walk across it to the car and had to walk round, we said fuck it (fuelled by copious amounts of alcohol pre game) and walked across to be met by a large scowling mob, good job the cops were there or we would have filled 'em in 😁

The police were dodgy that first game of the Birmingham vendetta, with coaches being parked on a car park to the left coming out but the other Bolton cars & vans being directed to the streets on the other side of the wasteland.

After the game , most of the police went to the coaches & left the rest of us to walk the other way to the dark streets where their mob were waiting. Very iffy.....but can laugh now at the sight of loads of thick brummies surrounding an empty Bolton transit while there was a group of about 10 lads stood at a nearby burger van with nobody buying .

• Site Supporter
On 03/01/2024 at 00:12, bolton va va said:

The police were dodgy that first game of the Birmingham vendetta, with coaches being parked on a car park to the left coming out but the other Bolton cars & vans being directed to the streets on the other side of the wasteland.

After the game , most of the police went to the coaches & left the rest of us to walk the other way to the dark streets where their mob were waiting. Very iffy.....but can laugh now at the sight of loads of thick brummies surrounding an empty Bolton transit while there was a group of about 10 lads stood at a nearby burger van with nobody buying .

That fits my memory. On the travel club, and was sure I'd turned left to go back to the bus.

The wasteland in front, and the dimly lit, tawdry terraces around.

10 hours ago, tomski said:

Thought face like a moon was in for this. Would be good to see the non entities drop back to where they belong 

If the ownership was different to what it is I’d disagree with you but since it isn’t I think we’d all like to see them plunge?

31 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

OK. Ta.

Confused, but ta.

Haha its an old song sung on the paddock mate.

Hes got a face like the moon, His father is from Troon.

Or something like that :)

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Phil Brown now manager of Kidderminster Harriers.

A shame he won't be co-commentating on our away games on Radio Manc, his unique ramblings and hyperbole always provide great amusement.  I'm confident he'll be back raring to go in August with Harriers back in National League North/South (to be fair keeping them up would be a big ask for anyone and I wish him luck).

On 12/01/2024 at 16:22, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Phil Brown now manager of Kidderminster Harriers.

I know a lad who plays for Kidderminster; anyone got the clip of Browny looking rather suspect before an interview? 🤣

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Big clubs with loads of money to waste better batten down the hatches as Roma have just sacked Mourinho.

Eddie Howe packing his bags already…

Edited by Steejay