Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Traffic

gonzo

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

How many other clubs subsidise a bus service? I have no idea.

A private company without the ability to use taxation to subsidise the cost.

I've no idea as to how much the fare needs to be to make it pay for itself, but that will also depend upon numbers. Catch 22 again.

Perhaps they could have a section on the website where groups could advertise their own travel from a given location- pub etc, so that folk can pick one nearby and use that. A minibus or a big one depends upon numbers.

But surely the club should be making it easier to get people to the ground, considering there are thousands of empty seats each week and surely they have some ethical/moral responsibility to try and deter folk from driving to the game?

• Site Supporter
48 minutes ago, Traf said:

But surely the club should be making it easier to get people to the ground, considering there are thousands of empty seats each week and surely they have some ethical/moral responsibility to try and deter folk from driving to the game?

First point, yes from a business point of view.

From the ethical point- maybe, but that applies to everyone, including fans and the public at large. Not just for a football club to sort, especially if it costs money.

If every club was to offer something then maybe, but it arguably puts them at a disadvantage financially if others don't.

We've not really got any figures to make judgements either way, and it is a shame that bus use has dropped, for whatever reason, but for me it's not something to beat the owners with.

• Site Supporter
40 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

First point, yes from a business point of view.

From the ethical point- maybe, but that applies to everyone, including fans and the public at large. Not just for a football club to sort, especially if it costs money.

If every club was to offer something then maybe, but it arguably puts them at a disadvantage financially if others don't.

We've not really got any figures to make judgements either way, and it is a shame that bus use has dropped, for whatever reason, but for me it's not something to beat the owners with.

We can’t keep saying we are a community club then neglecting the bus wankers and car users. 

• Site Supporter
40 minutes ago, FrancisFogarty said:

We can’t keep saying we are a community club then neglecting the bus wankers and car users. 

Depends what your definition of community is. 

A load of work to build bridges, fan zone was created after listening to ideas for example.

Personally, I don't bother with any of it- prefer to go and come home, but respect what they have done.

They're ultimately not responsible for the road system in the area, nor how people choose to travel.

I used to walk to Burnden at times, and more recently have started walking part of the way to Middlebrook.

Not home any later than the bus, and not stuck in traffic.

They may well be making a decent amount of coin from car parking charges so are happy for fans to come in them.

Fans have the choice, can stick around after for a beer and food and avoid the rush. They can park a little further away and avoid the worst of things etc.

Seem to be a number getting quite exercised about something that they choose to contribute to, but can avoid.

• Site Supporter

Fan Zone was created after the club asked what the fans wanted. I’m still a supporter of Fan Zone, but I’m not being shipped there any earlier than I want to be.

I’m not on a coach trip on my holidays. Buy a carpet, buy some wine, buy some fucking cheese.

I’ve not read the rest of it yet TMGJ.

• Site Supporter

Exactly- they asked the supporters what they wanted. Community engagement?

Plenty still saying queues are big, so can understand buses arriving earlier. 

In the prem days, I used to catch the earlier one, and was happy to get their a bit early. 

Have a quiet beer or whatever, and there was no fanzone.

All a matter of choice. Your choice is not to go early, fair enough. 

• Site Supporter

Take your point, but no one has to buy a new kit each season.

If folk didn't, they would get the message.

I made a decision years back over all the merchandising. 

Too expensive for what it is, so I no longer bother.

Same with ale and food in the ground. Poor quality and over priced.

Also, as above, it depends upon what folk want as to what a community club is. They engage more readily than previous owners, have put the fan zone on, are far better to the staff, have involvement with charities etc.

The Carol concert for example last year was excellent, but not that many turned up.

If buses really are such a key thing, then maybe folk need to get onto the club and let them know.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, gonzo said:

It's obviously way down the line but you cant move the club out of its town then not provide some form of subsided travel.

Dunno why there's not just direct shuttle busses from the pack horse or summet.

You would still get the same complaints. The folk that use them now, would then have to get into town first. Time/cost/ease etc. 

I don't necessarily agree the club should subsidise it though, if it becomes overly costly.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, DirtySanchez said:

Have they?

We do seem to be moving away from the community family 

New kit last season. New kit this 

What do kids like? 

They've served their purpose in that they got fans to the match at a convenient time, for a decent price, and got priority in getting off the car park. Their purpose was just that. 

I agree we are moving away from the community family club. The match bus is now like the one to the Trafford Centre. It's a way of getting you somewhere just to spend more money. In the Fan Zone, or Happy Shop, because the turnstiles aren't open when the bus gets there. You can't go and sit in your seat and just wait for the match to start. 

One way to get back in the family way (so to speak) is to reduce bus fares for kids so that dad can get the jammy faced urchins up there to pay for the new kit etc. and maybe try an odd bus route with a second run. For me, it's not the fare that's the problem, it's the early start that's making the match an even longer affair.

Oh, and get some wifi signal sorted out.

• Site Supporter

£7 isn't the problem. We're used to that. It went up a pound each way from the fiver previously. It's the early start that's causing the grief, because it's blatant 'we've got you up here, now go and spend, because you can't get in to sit in the seat you've already paid for'.

Edited by FrancisFogarty

On 09/09/2023 at 22:04, L/H White said:

They'll be a decent drop off if they get rid of the buses 

It's generally a ballache to get to that ground if you don't drive 

I'm around 15 mins away in the car, if I was to ever need to get a bus or train it's an hour n half 

See I disagree with that 

we are down to what six buses and with exception of derby game none of them full or anywhere near

Leigh bus a lot are off by weathoughton and into pub - surely pubs could put mini buses on to take up a lot of the alack

yes some people would miss out but if it’s still losing money ??

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

See I disagree with that 

we are down to what six buses and with exception of derby game none of them full or anywhere near

Leigh bus a lot are off by weathoughton and into pub - surely pubs could put mini buses on to take up a lot of the alack

yes some people would miss out but if it’s still losing money ??

They are. Lot's of pubs running a match mini bus. I'm looking at one setting off from the pub at 2:00 for (I think) £5.50 return. Decent pint before and after, and less that the £5.50 I'm currently forking out for shit lager. Mrs Fogarty can drop me off to get the bus and come for me after.

Oh, and I won't be standing freezing my bollocks off while I'm at it.