Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Traffic

gonzo

Its absolutely fucking shite at the minute round the ground.

It was particularly worse yesterday, obviously down to the train strike but that whole set up round the police station is a disaster.

Junction after Junction relying on driver letting eachother out. The stupid one way system that leads to the bottle neck near the station is ridiculous.

The whole system needs a overhaul. 

It's a pain in the arse this season and was back end of last. Bigger crowds a factor of course, numbers up around what we were getting in Prem days. 

I'm back parking off Chorley New Rd but it's a tedious 20 minute chug through Adlington and Chorley to get on M61 for home. Then another painful half hour once off the M55 through the unending roadworks from Windy Harbour. Over an hour last night to do 30 miles. 

Plenty of time to reflect on the game though before joining the conversation! 

6 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

It's a pain in the arse this season and was back end of last. Bigger crowds a factor of course, numbers up around what we were getting in Prem days. 

I'm back parking off Chorley New Rd but it's a tedious 20 minute chug through Adlington and Chorley to get on M61 for home. Then another painful half hour once off the M55 through the unending roadworks from Windy Harbour. Over an hour last night to do 30 miles. 

Plenty of time to reflect on the game though before joining the conversation! 

The new bypass should help a bit once past windy harbour....if it ever opens :)

Where abouts are you?

Plenty of FY5 whites...

• Moderators

Now tesco is a non starter back on Middlebrook 

Parking by the cinema side is better but spots are like good dust close to kick off and it's all about luck of the draw 

Plenty spaces the other end but it takes an eternity to get off

• Site Supporter

I don't find it too bad really. We park on Car Park B/C, never leave the ground until the players have left the pitch (apart from the Wigan game a few weeks back when we left as soon as the 4th went in), and we tend to queue for 20-30 minutes to get off the carpark - which seems pretty reasonable to me given the volume of traffic.

Glad I'm registered on the ANPR system for payment though. The queues for the parking machines are fucking daft sometimes.

Edited by Cheese

16 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Indeed, now nearly a year overdue 🙄

I'm on border of Cleveleys and Fleetwood, opposite Rossall School. Nice place to live, shouldn't gripe too much 😄

No idea how its going to work going the other way, piling 2 lanes of new bypass traffic straight in to the same single lane after windy harbour?!

Theres a lad round here runs the odd away coach from the sandyforth or elk in PLF to aways. Get on it if you fancy.

Im near The Bay Horse in Thornton 👍

5 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I've not found it too bad for the last few years really. We park on Car Park B/C, never leave the ground until the players have left the pitch (apart from the Wigan game a few weeks back when we left as soon as the 4th went in), and we tend to queue for 20-30 minutes to get away - which seems pretty reasonable to me given the circumstances.

I just think that whole road needs sorting out. It needs roundabouts is instead sending two lanes of traffic from scotts, arena and that rubble shite in to a bottle neck with folk wanting to go on the retail park and folk getting off.

Its madness. The size of that place now, its like putting a football stadium on the Trafford Centre with a road network built for none of it.

17 minutes ago, gonzo said:

No idea how its going to work going the other way, piling 2 lanes of new bypass traffic straight in to the same single lane after windy harbour?!

Theres a lad round here runs the odd away coach from the sandyforth or elk in PLF to aways. Get on it if you fancy.

Im near The Bay Horse in Thornton 👍

Thanks for that re the coach, will bear it in mind, gradually getting to know more local Whites the longer I'm living here (only Bern over about 5 years). 

Catch up for a pint sometime if you're about 👍🍺

I do the free parking near Asda.There's no way i'm prepared to sit in a traffic jam for an hour so watch the game till full time and do the weekly shop after the match.I left the car park at 6.15 yesterday, it had cleared by then other than at the Beehve roundabout which took 2 or 3 minutes to get round.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

What's the score with Tesco's. I've always used it. Got booked once.

There was a spell last season where they starting giving out tickets 

Been parking there years without issue then got one 

We played sat-tues, I didn't go the tues, lad I know did, he got two tickets 

So not bothering any more

7 hours ago, Zico said:

There was a spell last season where they starting giving out tickets 

Been parking there years without issue then got one 

We played sat-tues, I didn't go the tues, lad I know did, he got two tickets 

So not bothering any more

Yep, same here. I alternate driving with another lad and I got one for the Saturday game and he got one for the Tuesday.

We’ve started either parking on Next or for bigger gates the Ainsworth Avenue estate off CNR. 

Prefer the estate but not always convenient.

If I drive to the match I park on the hotel and depending on the opposition following I either go back in the hotel after the match or head straight home, but on Saturday I left it until nearly 6pm and the sat nav was still showing heavy traffic on the M61 towards Manchester so I went through town to get home.

It certainly easier if you have the direct payment set up instead of joining the queue of people trying to pay £8 with 10 and 20 pence coins.

12 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

That roundabout by the cop shop was supposed to lead to 2 slip roads on to the M61 and Mansell Way was meant to connect through the Loco Works on to Crown Lane.

The fact these were never put in leads to the entire development emptying on to DeHavilland Way which can't handle the volume of traffic.

its coming the Bit to Crown Ln next year 

We park on main car parks and it is really not bad. Once you are on the road it moves ok so secret is getting onto road quickly. Only issue is people coming off the car parks trying to get into far lane ( usually when joining from left) and blocking everyone.