Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Burnden Park

MancWanderer

7 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Brilliant photo that. Was that station somewhere near Castle Street? Must have been not far from the viaduct at Darcy Lever or have I got my wires crossed?

Exact location marked. My Grandparents lived on Leaf St. He had a fair stretch of land there next to the old tracks. If memory serves his garden was reclaimed and sat directly below a part of the station, then the was a substation, his garage and then his chickens all bordering where the tracks used to be.

Clayton St was the last street before the muddy walk to the St Peter's Way underpass.Screenshot_20231231-172435.thumb.png.68b1b3d197398e37ce07c3eac4bb5215.png

Edited by perth_white
Additional info

4 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Was the station The Haugh or Darcy Lever?

I can’t find any reference to a station called Haulgh.

image.png.d4dee4f60b4603190cc44811cfb0cd91.png

I thought it was the Haugh but could be wrong, would be weird if it was called Darcy Lever as that's not correct, the whole area kind of gets called Darcy Lever but it's definitely the Haugh. Irritating that the satellite map doesn't show but I've circled my Grandads garden, the foundations of the building in the pic form parts of it.Screenshot_20231231-183418.thumb.png.25c9c51c47e0d12e97761c9a11984b94.png

13 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Was the station The Haugh or Darcy Lever?

I can’t find any reference to a station called Haulgh.

image.png.d4dee4f60b4603190cc44811cfb0cd91.png

I'm trying to picture in my mind where else a Darcy Lever station could be and it must be that one actually. Straight after that is the bridge over Radcliffe Road and then the Gorses then Newhouse Farm and there's no old stations there so it must be Darcy Lever.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, perth_white said:

I thought it was the Haugh but could be wrong, would be weird if it was called Darcy Lever as that's not correct, the whole area kind of gets called Darcy Lever but it's definitely the Haugh. Irritating that the satellite map doesn't show but I've circled my Grandads garden, the foundations of the building in the pic form parts of it.Screenshot_20231231-183418.thumb.png.25c9c51c47e0d12e97761c9a11984b94.png

Without knowing for sure, I'd always thought of the Haugh as being the other side of Radclifde Road. Including Bradford Park, The Ukrainian Club, Dibnah's House and across Bury Road around Leigh's Paints.

10 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Without knowing for sure, I'd always thought of the Haugh as being the other side of Radclifde Road. Including Bradford Park, The Ukrainian Club, Dibnah's House and across Bury Road around Leigh's Paints.

Could be, I was just going off what my Grandad said. He was a stubborn old sod and if he was wrong would have stuck to his story regardless.

• Members
11 hours ago, MickyD said:

Rumworth l& l)♧dlaubhill lstation. I think the bridge is Derby St/St Helens Rd.

image.png.edf245473ea65c8e1af836d01c24eae0.png

image.png

It's a gift. That will throw them off the scent.

You didn't drive the fire engine did you? "How the fuck have we ended up South East? We should have been North West".

Great photo Micky. Has me pining for a pint of that Oaty Stout at Bury Bolton Street. There in a flash when I am over next.

Edited by bolty58

16 minutes ago, perth_white said:

Amazed I managed to dredge it up from memory, was debating about the L, at least I didn't go with Hoff.

You did well, my dad was born and raised there but can't pronounce his aitches and can't spell so even he would have only got as far as "Off".

Edited by ErnestTurnip