Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

10 more wins - where will we get them?

Coxy Normous

New member here!  Surely 10 more wins from 19 games and a total win tally of 28 gets us automatic promotion?  That would be close to 90 points.  Where will we get them?  Here's my selection.............

Cambridge (A)

Northampton (A)

Wycombe (H)

Cambridge (H)

Exeter (A)

Oxford (H)

Shrewsbury (H)

Reading (H)

Bristol Rovers (A)

Port Vale (H)

You'll notice I've missed out the games against the top 6.  It doesn't matter.  We'd be close to 90 points anyway.  If we gain points from them then great.  If we don't then so be it.

What do we think?

1 hour ago, L/H White said:

Blackpool & Wigan in the space of a few days really worry me, could very well derail our season those 2 games. 

That’s why I didn’t include them in the 10 wins. If we do get anything from them, then great

39 minutes ago, Greg_BWFC said:

Think it'll take 96 to get automatic.

Bloody nuisance that 3 other teams keep winning.

13 more wins.

Presume you mean Pompey as one of those - but only got 12 points from last 9 games.  Not saying they won't go the distance, but they are giving the rest of us a chance to go clear.  

Posh look the biggest threat, annoyingly consistent, Barnsley and Derby more likely to have dodgy results.  We could do with avoiding defeat in our 3 games against them.   

Also depends how well some recruit in this window. So far and assuming Collins signs I’d say it’s improved us significantly so since I already believe we have the best squad, top two is ours to throw away. I know we have plenty top six to play but so do others so if we lose one or two it shouldn’t do too much damage. I think all round were the real deal this year and I think others need to have more fear of us than us of them, including Wigan, Barnsley and Derby all of whom we owe one.

11 hours ago, Coxy Normous said:

That’s why I didn’t include them in the 10 wins. If we do get anything from them, then great

Suppose it depends on the context of the losses if they happen, couple of embarrassing/inept defeats and could have an impact into other more winnable games.

14 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

Also depends how well some recruit in this window. So far and assuming Collins signs I’d say it’s improved us significantly so since I already believe we have the best squad, top two is ours to throw away. I know we have plenty top six to play but so do others so if we lose one or two it shouldn’t do too much damage. I think all round were the real deal this year and I think others need to have more fear of us than us of them, including Wigan, Barnsley and Derby all of whom we owe one.

Everyone else in the top 7 has 2 aways against top 5 sides, apart from Posh, who have already played all their's.

Their only "tough" away is at Oxford who have a poor home record against challengers.  They have 10 homes to play compared to 8 away. 

Given their form as well I'd be amazed if they finish outside the top 2 (it could even play into our hands if they are already promoted when we go there!). 

I know we've got a lot of tough away games to come, particularly against most of the current top 8, but we currently have the best PPG out of anyone, won the most games, despite playing the least, heading currently for around 97/98 points as it stands.

Also means we've got a lot of the bottom half teams at home, that we should hopefully be winning, as well our top 8 record this season stands at just 1 loss, 2 draws and 3 wins.

AND, we've still had some shockers this season, yet if have other shockers and continue how we have done already, we will still be getting around 97/98 points.

Only if we have a really bad run of form where we can fuck it up. And this season we've never gone more than 2 games without a win.

All that said, anything could happen, but as of right now, there's no team in the league in a better position than us to win the league.

COYWM.

just seen on twitter in our last 14 games we have to play Wigan (A), Blackpool (A), Barnsley (A), Oxford (H), Derby (A), Stevenage (A), Portsmouth (H), P'Boro (A)

Such a tough run in but we're in a great position now and if we're going to go up we're gonna have to get some big results in those games, fully believe we can

9 minutes ago, mattbwfc19 said:

just seen on twitter in our last 14 games we have to play Wigan (A), Blackpool (A), Barnsley (A), Oxford (H), Derby (A), Stevenage (A), Portsmouth (H), P'Boro (A)

Such a tough run in but we're in a great position now and if we're going to go up we're gonna have to get some big results in those games, fully believe we can

Yes its all (well not all, but a lot) about getting results away at the leading sides, very hard to judge where we're at until we start playing them again.  We know we can beat lesser sides home and away, we know we can hold our own against better sides at home, we don't really know how we perform away at the better sides yet.  Next 3 months are going to be a roller coaster, bring it on!

3 hours ago, mattbwfc19 said:

All winnable.

• Site Supporter

Said from the off, we have the best squad in the division. We have strengthened in this window and while we do have some tough aways, I back us to get our fair share of points because we are better than whoever we have to play.

Peterbrough won't matter because we'll already be up. 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Said from the off, we have the best squad in the division. We have strengthened in this window and while we do have some tough aways, I back us to get our fair share of points because we are better than whoever we have to play.

Peterbrough won't matter because we'll already be up. 

I mentioned the other day about the prospect of Ogbeta getting the winner there to achieve promotion- a former player. 

Now I've changed it- Collins to get the winner at Bristol Rovers to send us up.

Ogbeta to get the winner at Peterborough and win the league!