Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Exeter City (A)

mattbwfc19

If I'm not mistaken we've scored 3 decisive goals from the 87th minute onwards all season.  All away from home, all headers, all by Toal.

Wierd coincidence or does he have something the others don't have.  Credit to him anyway.

Just in context, our GD was +19 after the 7-0 Exeter game, all the way back in November.

It's March and our GD has only gone up by 5 to +24. Just shows to me how much we've really struggled and also how inefficient we have been in front of goal.

Derbys GD is now +33. 

It's not an odd game, it's almost every game, control of the game, wasteful in front of goal and abysmal in our own box, leading to defensive mistakes. 1 clean sheet in our last 10!

We're a good team, and Evatt does have us playing probably the best football on our day in the division. But we are not a solid team, you need to be that to get out of this horrible division. It's so obvious that we have a soft underbelly. Exeter went for the jugular at 2-1 up, we were lucky to get a point in the end. 

Win games ugly, do whatever it takes to keep the ball out of our net. That's our problem, we are not giving ourselves a chance to win a game, mistake after mistakes after mistakes, in both boxes. 

Whether this is being overly pessimistic, with us 1 point behind 2nd and us to play Derby next week, I don't know.

However the club over the past 2 months is not giving me any signs of team that will get promoted! 

Edited by Lostock Whites

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, woolli said:

Like the lad, thank you. You keep coming back! Ahhh. Bless!

Do you tell lies all the time , or just on here, like? 🥰

2 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Just in context, our GD was +19 after the 7-0 Exeter game, all the way back in November.

It's March and our GD has only gone up by 5 to +24. Just shows to me how much we've really struggled and also how inefficient we have been in front of goal.

Derbys GD is now +33. 

It's not an odd game, it's almost every game, control of the game, wasteful in front of goal and abysmal in our own box, leading to defensive mistakes. 1 clean sheet in our last 10!

We're a good team, and Evatt does have us playing probably the best football on our day in the division. But we are not a solid team, you need to be that to get out of this horrible division.

Win games ugly, do whatever it takes to keep the ball out of our net. That's our problem, we are not giving ourselves a chance to win a game, mistake after mistakes after mistakes, in both boxes. 

Whether this is being overly pessimistic, with us 1 point behind 2nd and us to play Derby next week, I don't know.

However the club over the past 2 months is not giving me any signs of team that will get promoted! 

LW, your post is absolutely how it is. Very truthful, spot on. We all want the same thing, we all want promotion, but there are a few deluded happy clappers on here.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

If I'm not mistaken we've scored 3 decisive goals from the 87th minute onwards all season.  All away from home, all headers, all by Toal.

Wierd coincidence or does he have something the others don't have.  Credit to him anyway.

Randall the other night

10 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Derbys GD is now +33. 

We're a good team, and Evatt does have us playing probably the best football on our day in the division. But we are not a solid team, you need to be that to get out of this horrible division. It's so obvious that we have a soft underbelly. Exeter went for the jugular at 2-1 up, we were lucky to get a point in the end. 

Good post 👍🏻

What worries me more is things like not one player going over to acknowledge Coleman making a save that saved a defeat, Iredale ambling back when Ogbeta was one one in the box and then not even thinking of doubling up but just looking inside.

We don't have a single leader on the pitch and I wonder if it's because IE has to be the leader at all costs on and off the pitch.

9 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

We don't have a single leader on the pitch and I wonder if it's because IE has to be the leader at all costs on and off the pitch.

Been saying it for months.

Only young George talks.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Spider said:

Have the club said how soon Baxter will be back?

Don't think so but IE suggested things would look different after the international break 

So hoping then

• Site Supporter
Just now, Zico said:

Don't think so but IE suggested things would look different after the international break 

So hoping then

Strange really, you generally get an estimate with injuries. But nothing here.

And as bad as Coleman is, an injury to him and we really are in the shit.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Been saying it for months.

Only young George talks.

Can't have a captain on 18 yellows. 

How do you change club captain when your near top of the league. 

Maybe a summer transfer has to be one of those types, toals got potential, iredale has the drive, but they're all lacking. 

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

Strange really, you generally get an estimate with injuries. But nothing here.

And as bad as Coleman is, an injury to him and we really are in the shit.

Evatt mentioned more than once in the press that he was having his cast off this week (or was it last) and we’d know more then. It almost seemed quite positive, and was coupled with Charles coming back which clearly isn’t going to plan, and so you’d have thought we’d have heard something by now.

Sceptic in me says that no news is bad news. Can’t see why they’d be keeping it under wraps if there was some good news - you’d be wanting to get anything out there at the moment to cheer people up.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Evatt mentioned more than once in the press that he was having his cast off this week (or was it last) and we’d know more then. It almost seemed quite positive, and was coupled with Charles coming back which clearly isn’t going to plan, and so you’d have thought we’d have heard something by now.

Sceptic in me says that no news is bad news. Can’t see why they’d be keeping it under wraps if there was some good news - you’d be wanting to get anything out there at the moment to cheer people up.

They’ll have their reasons, and to be honest it’s up to them.

But the scrutiny is relentless so it just seems a bit of a worry when no updates are given

Santos looks like he's been carrying an injury for a while. His movement is slow and lethargic. We've let so many goals in since Baxter's injury that our goal difference is now worse than all the teams around us. Coleman although he pulls off the occasional good save is a liability and causes nervousness in the defence as they never know what he's likely to do. Too many passes again today and even at the end Jerome wouldn't take the shot with seconds left on the clock. Should have been out of sight by half time. 

The injuries to both Baxter and Charles are dragging on. Obviously worse than originally reported. Getting a bit sick of let's wait until after the international break and all will be ok. We could be out of it by then 

16 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Can't have a captain on 18 yellows. 

How do you change club captain when your near top of the league. 

Maybe a summer transfer has to be one of those types, toals got potential, iredale has the drive, but they're all lacking. 

Dont take me so literally.

I know it’s too soon but his game understanding will continue to improve and in time, he will become a captain at a higher level than this 

I re-iterate, he’s the only talker on the pitch.