Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Biggest Disappointment

Northy

Without doubt it's being beaten by the Trannys at Wembley in the play offs and losing to Southampton in that cup replay in '92. Nothing comes close to them.

Oh, and Villa in the FA Cup semi at Wembley. Three!! nothing comes close.

monty-python-spanish-inquisition.jpg

Edited by Underpants

• Site Supporter

Tranmere play offs

Tranmere two -legged semi final

Oldham - Cup

So'ton - cup replay

Not going to Reading play off due to other arrangements

Boro cup final more than Liverpool cup final because of the expectancy.

Deano at Wembley

Carling Cup final (getting a train back to Sheffield with a train full of non-celebrating Boro fans was surreal and sickening)

United equaliser just after Sir Les made it 2-1 at the Reebok

The Barry Knight

Rioch leaving (the manner of it, I was 11 and didn't realise that he would actually just fuck off after getting us up)

Aaron Wilbraham scoring just after we'd come from 3-0 down to make it 3-3 at Stockport

Rioch leaving

Selling Per Frandsen to Blackburn for peanuts

Holdswoths miss FA Cup semi

Aldershot

Colin Todd getting sacked

Having a supermarket built on the Embankment end

Tranmere play-off

Curcic leaving for Villa

Stubbs infamous "watch this space" in a interview

I could go on and on but at the end of the day the good days are more special after witnessing all this :)

Deano at Wembley

Carling Cup final (getting a train back to Sheffield with a train full of non-celebrating Boro fans was surreal and sickening)

United equaliser just after Sir Les made it 2-1 at the Reebok

The Barry Knight

Rioch leaving (the manner of it, I was 11 and didn't realise that he would actually just fuck off after getting us up)

Aaron Wilbraham scoring just after we'd come from 3-0 down to make it 3-3 at Stockport

1st away game that I took my son to.

He was sat on the terraces at half-time with his head in his hands.

Bouncing about all hyper at 3-3 and I told him: "Don't worry, we'll lose this yet!"

It's how it used to be.

• Moderators

I actually though he got back to some good form after he returned from the African Nations with his new afro hairstyle, him and Vaz Te had a good run of games.

I thought Sam should have let us know before the Birmingham game that he was leaving, so he could have been given a well deserved goodbye.

wait til you find out theres no father christmas

I don't blame Allardyce, as these things happen.

It would be good though if he did come back at some point to do something, even if it was just to play in a testimonial or something. He was a great player, who we should have been allowed to day goodbye to properly (and the same applies to Youri as well as far as I am concerned)

Both were invited to Jussis testimonial and never made it.

I agree would have been good to see them back.

I wonder if there will be any old players there tonight?

With some of you lot mentioning the Aldershot games reminds me of an interview I took about 5 years back with a bloke about a manager's job who told me that one of his proudest achievements in football was captaining Aldershot team that beat us in the play offs. Really p*ssed me off at the time and told him he had no chance straight away and didn't tell him I was a Bolton fan until a while later when we were chatting footie over a pint.

Never did check if he was lying or not but anyone got the programme and can tell me if their captain was McDonald? Ian I think? Always called him Macca so never was sure what his real name was!

Cheers.

Oh and my biggest disappointment was getting mugged by Luton fans when I was selling programmes on Manny Road about 1980. They robbed all my programmes and the cash. You used to get 5p (IIRC) a programme commission in them days and I ended up with sod all! Couldn't do alot really as I was only little for a 14 year old .........

Oh, and a copper telling me I couldn't take my chips into the Manor Ground at Oxford, confiscating 'em and finishing 'em off!

Lots of good calls - Soton and Barry Knight for example - but thinking about it so many are tempered by the knowledge at the time that there'd be a second chance or with hindsight the knowledge of what as to come. So walking away from Aldershot was shite - especially as Burnley had just survived in the league by the skin of their teeth and I was thinking that could be us the next year (back then nobody realised that leaving the league wasn't an auotmatic death-knell). BUT some time traveller could have siddled up to me and said "don't worry, 8 years almost to the day from now you'll be walking away from Wembley having seen one of the best playoffs ever and promotion to a new fangled Premier league of unimaginable wealth; moreover, 10 years almost to the day after that you'll be walking away from Fratton Park having watched an established PL team get into Europe for the first time".

The trouble with the Villa game is no time traveller or anyone could ever tell us that the chance for historical symmetry would ever come back. Cup Final yes - maybe even a few months from now - but that particular achievement can never ever happen. That's why I still think of it as the worst...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.