Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff


superjohnmcginlay

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Zico said:

Proper good cup tie that was 

Charlton brought loads as well but their standards 

They generally bought fuck all in the PL

Filled the whole lower tier that day, though heard plenty were Millwall

 

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Great cup quarter final.

Had everything. 

Seems that the pitch is massive from that angle, with lots of space, though maybe the quality of player, with good control creates the space.

How good was tricky Ricky too. Will always be one of my all time favourite players.

Great day and cup tie that, I remember not seeing that goal again for about 15 years after the day it happened in that dark era of no footage. Superb strike.

And I also remember thinking it was an un-Charlton like following. Not seen similar from them before or since and we've been their opening away game of season once or twice!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
9 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

 

Great day and cup tie that, I remember not seeing that goal again for about 15 years after the day it happened in that dark era of no footage. Superb strike.

And I also remember thinking it was an un-Charlton like following. Not seen similar from them before or since and we've been their opening away game of season once or twice!

Same with Fulham they brought fuck all in the PL but then they won the championship they filled the lower tier 

They absolutely bummed us that day, in that we didn't touch the ball much

Also thought we'd found a great player in Dean Holden around then, was gutted when he broke his leg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Zico said:

Same with Fulham they brought fuck all in the PL but then they won the championship they filled the lower tier 

They absolutely bummed us that day, in that we didn't touch the ball much

Most complete performance I’ve ever seen from a team at that level. Louis Saha was incredible.

That Charlton game is one of those games that rarely makes anyone’s favourites list behind the obvious candidates but should be up there with the best of the rest. Remember it being a great atmosphere and, in my mind, it was absolutely chocker but watching it back now you can see big gaps in areas that we’re now filling every week in the third division!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Zico said:

Same with Fulham they brought fuck all in the PL but then they won the championship they filled the lower tier 

They absolutely bummed us that day, in that we didn't touch the ball much

Also thought we'd found a great player in Dean Holden around then, was gutted when he broke his leg

They were outstanding that day; they had used their money well and built a fine team and good manager.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

 

Great day and cup tie that, I remember not seeing that goal again for about 15 years after the day it happened in that dark era of no footage. Superb strike.

And I also remember thinking it was an un-Charlton like following. Not seen similar from them before or since and we've been their opening away game of season once or twice!

They had shit loads of lads from all over that day.

At the time it was a bit of a communal jolly boys for exiled lads in London and banned lads from other clubs.

They had QPR, Port Vale, Tranmere, and shit loads of Millwall out that day. It kicked off royal at the station after.

Around the same time of Maze Hill.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
58 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Most complete performance I’ve ever seen from a team at that level. Louis Saha was incredible.

That Charlton game is one of those games that rarely makes anyone’s favourites list behind the obvious candidates but should be up there with the best of the rest. Remember it being a great atmosphere and, in my mind, it was absolutely chocker but watching it back now you can see big gaps in areas that we’re now filling every week in the third division!

 

46 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

They were outstanding that day; they had used their money well and built a fine team and good manager.

Aye 

They scored in the first minute and the last and they just kept the ball to themselves in between

You couldn't be pissed off, moan or boo at us, we just couldn't touch them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, Zico said:

 

Aye 

They scored in the first minute and the last and they just kept the ball to themselves in between

You couldn't be pissed off, moan or boo at us, we just couldn't touch them

These Fulham comments are spot on 🤣

We were almost smiling and content that there wasn’t really anything to moan about! Don’t think I’ve witnessed anything like that since!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Krimzon said:

Used to love proper ticker tape at matches........

 

Needs some volume. 

Great memories.  The ticker tape was a feature of even routine home league games around that time. Bedlam when Caldwell scored.  Great that the players just ran towards the away end when the final whistle went, different times.  None of the restrained hand shakes and hugs with the opposition that is common now, just raw emotion.

We were penned in after the game for about 20 minutes, it was uncomfortably packed near the gates, although everyone was celebrating so it didn't seem to matter, but could have been dangerous.

Lots of singing in the Vauxhall Chevette going back, young and naive, unsurprisingly got a brick chucked at car going through Scholes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, desperado said:

These Fulham comments are spot on 🤣

We were almost smiling and content that there wasn’t really anything to moan about! Don’t think I’ve witnessed anything like that since!

 

Wasnt quite as peaceful and pleasant when Blackburn demolished us a bit later on in the season :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter

Just watched a couple of them rather than just fast forwarding to the goal.

I was an 11 year old boy at Wigan, in that poxy stand. I remember going bonkers when the goal went in.

Charlton was a cracking cup tie. Fish, Jensen, Holden, Solako, Todd, Barness all played/managed both teams. Speedo in attendance too.

How good would Ricardo's goal have been late on if that crept in too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Krimzon said:

Not many on .....

 

 

I was born there.

My Dad is a Miller in truth.

I’ve never missed a game at either Millmoor or New York.

We’ve never won there in my lifetime which really fucking pisses me off ☹️

Edited by captainmed
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

It was falling to bits plus they created a gangway so everyone entered Embankment at Manc Road and not Burnden side - I think !!

Correct. I think they also put entrance gates directly from the away car park.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Why did they shrink the embankment?

As in from the top down.

 

1 hour ago, bwfc2003 said:

It was falling to bits plus they created a gangway so everyone entered Embankment at Manc Road and not Burnden side - I think !!

 

37 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Correct. I think they also put entrance gates directly from the away car park.

When did those changes happen?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.