Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Official Boxing Thread...

gonzo

It's no surprise, granted, but there's some balloons on Facebook.

People saying it was close, folk saying McGregor was better fighter

Anybody who thinks it was close is bonkers. He only won the first 2 rounds because Mayweather allowed him to.

McGregor had zero technique and zero stamina. Fair play to him for giving it a go, but boxing clearly isn't for him

He should go back to MMA and continue to dominate that.....lets be honest, he only did it for the cash. No other reason

I reckon there'd also be a lot of interest in Geoff Capes literally throwing his hat into the ring, Capes v Joshua anyone?

In seriousness, I really hope this is the end of it (cross discipline match-ups) - a lot of the talk on 5live after was along the lines of 'we'll see more of this...' - let's not, eh?

Edited by Youri McAnespie

The while point of MMA when it originated was to match people from different martial arts disciplines and see which one came out on top. It's only more recently that this idea of a 'complete' MMA fighter has evolved.

The glory days were back when you used to get a fat wrestler windmilling against some Korean doing Taekwondo in a Gi :-)

I've give it a chance once or twice (UFC), like another poster, Gonzo I think, has wrote in the past, anything where pinning with the knees and punching the fuck out of one's opponent is cricket leaves me cold...

Anyway, I reckon a sumo wrestler always would win out, that super hand slap defeats all-comers - karate, muy Thai, boxing, Spanish gay arm sword...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

I'd hazard a guess like most combat sports - boxing will be far worse on the brain in the long run. Small gloves mean quick knock outs - brutal as it might look at the time. Better that than getting your head repeatedly concussed for 12 rounds. Also factor in the amount that end by submission or choke rather than knock out.

Speaking of blood sports - there is a bare knuckle event happening in Halliwell at the end of September if that's anybodys cup of tea? First one held last month and was a big success.

watched the whole card, reminded me why i fucked boxing off, its very boring, that undercard sent me to sleep

boxing world, youre welcome, you now have eyes back on that dull as fuck sport

Give me a proper fight any day of the week.

I agree to a point. A great boxing match is a splendid thing to watch, sadly though more often than not they can be turgid.

At least with cage wrestling, there is always something happening, and it's all "blood and thunder" instead of blokes just cuddling each other, as a lot of boxing matches seem to turn into