Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Space Dudes

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

You don't nob potential Miss World candidates with a Chinese mouse nob - baby's arm.

Don't talk wet - Happy Christmas Cheese.

Happy Christmas you mad bastard.Ā šŸ˜˜

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Anyhow you know my size after we exchanged dick pics in an experiment to see if we'd be compatible in exploring potential bisexuality.

Cheese was about 8" flaccid and he had ladies knickers on.

That was supposed to be kept between us, Mouth.

• Site Supporter

Right, if this telescope can "look back", then it's picking up radiation from the dawn of time.

If radiation travels in straight lines (generally), then would it have to be pointing at the very source of the big bang?

If not, then why don't the waves pass by it?

And if they don't, then aren't they then being reflected from somewhere onto John Willy Lees' telescope?

And if they are being reflected, then space must be finite with some big mirrors or similar at its edge.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Right, if this telescope can "look back", then it's picking up radiation from the dawn of time.

If radiation travels in straight lines (generally), then would it have to be pointing at the very source of the big bang?

If not, then why don't the waves pass by it?

And if they don't, then aren't they then being reflected from somewhere onto John Willy Lees' telescope?

And if they are being reflected, then space must be finite with some big mirrors or similar at its edge.

I'm no expert on this by any means. But the best way I've heard it explained in that there is no 'centre' of the universe. Everything has been accelerating away from everything else ever since the bog bang at an ever increasing rate due to some hithero unexplained force (dark energy).

Imagine being an ant on the surface on a deflated balloon. As air was blown into the balloon - from your perspective - you'd just see all other parts of the balloon accelerate away from you at an equal rate. But there wouldn't be a 'centre' or an 'edge' to look towards.Ā 

This article has a pretty good stab at explaining it!Ā 

https://www.wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/mobile/2013/09/17/where-is-the-center-of-the-universe/

Ā 

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I'm no expert on this by any means. But the best way I've heard it explained in that there is no 'centre' of the universe. Everything has been accelerating away from everything else ever since the bog bang at an ever increasing rate due to some hithero unexplained force (dark energy).

Imagine being an ant on the surface on a deflated balloon. As air was blown into the balloon - from your perspective - you'd just see all other parts of the balloon accelerate away from you at an equal rate. But there wouldn't be a 'centre' or an 'edge' to look towards.Ā 

This article has a pretty good stab at explaining it!Ā 

https://www.wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/mobile/2013/09/17/where-is-the-center-of-the-universe/

Ā 

Brian Cox blew my mind when he explained that currently our galaxy has neighbouring galaxies, but in time we'll all drift apart

Ie we're not alone in space in terms of neighboursĀ 

But we will beĀ 

Everything is just moving away from each otherĀ 

But not from a central pointĀ 

And some galaxies will bump into each other along the way, as they have already, and form new onesĀ 

Something like thatĀ 

And i don't even speak to my next door but one neighbours

• Site Supporter

Right, this is sort of what I was expecting.Ā 

Everything moving away from. Everything else. Which means the radiation being measured now, all occurred at the same time, so shouldn't it all have dissipated into the space beyond space now?

Also, it the galaxies etc are moving apart because of this force, then maybe the big bang is still going on, but as we're within it, we can't tell. :)

Ā 

• Members
17 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Anyhow you know my size after we exchanged dick pics in an experiment to see if we'd be compatible in exploring potential bisexuality.

Cheese was about 8" flaccid and he had ladies knickers on.

image.jpg
Ā 

Cheese is Kevin Rowland?

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Everything moving away from. Everything else. Which means the radiation being measured now, all occurred at the same time, so shouldn't it all have dissipated into the space beyond space now?

Also, it the galaxies etc are moving apart because of this force, then maybe the big bang is still going on, but as we're within it, we can't tell. :)

Ā 

Iā€™m far too hungover to get my swede around thisĀ 

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Ā 

There was no 'space beyond' at the time of the time of big bang. It won't have dissipated from our perspective looking through a telescope, as we're literally 'seeing' whatever we pick up as it was billions of years ago.Ā 

The big bang isn't still going on. The big bang happened in an infinitesimally small amount of time. If you an even call it time. It only lasted for about 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 seconds, before we entered the planck time epoch and then cosmic inflation. Still well under one second since the birth of 'time' though.

Dark energy (which we don't understand) as a consequence of the big bang is causing the ever increasing expansion.

I think this is one of the problems when you get this deep into the theory. A lot of it can only be explained mathematically and it breaks down when you try and put it into English (or any other language).Ā 

Anyway - this is a potted history as far as my tiny mind has been able to interpret it. Someone better versed in physics will be able to pick holes in this explanation - but it's about as good as I can do! šŸ˜‚

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, kent_white said:

There was no 'space beyond' at the time of the time of big bang. It won't have dissipated from our perspective looking through a telescope, as we're literally 'seeing' whatever we pick up as it was billions of years ago.Ā 

The big bang isn't still going on. The big bang happened in an infinitesimally small amount of time. If you an even call it time. It only lasted for about 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 seconds, before we entered the planck time epoch and then cosmic inflation. Still well under one second since the birth of 'time' though.

Dark energy (which we don't understand) as a consequence of the big bang is causing the ever increasing expansion.

I think this is one of the problems when you get this deep into the theory. A lot of it can only be explained mathematically and it breaks down when you try and put it into English (or any other language).Ā 

Anyway - this is a potted history as far as my tiny mind has been able to interpret it. Someone better versed in physics will be able to pick holes in this explanation - but it's about as good as I can do! šŸ˜‚

It hasnā€™t cleared too much up. Mind you, Iā€™m still wondering why marmalade isnā€™t just orange jam.

• Site Supporter

OK, how do we know then that the radiation is from so long ago, it was produced everywhere simultaneously?

We can date rocks, via half life of isotopes for example, and back calculate by measuring level of decay.

How do they know what their initial radioactivity level was though at the dawn of time- going back in time billions of years some of these elements must have been massively radioactive. At what point do you know that you can't go back any further, ie another doubling of activity?

This decay is also, in part, sub atomic particles is this essentially the stuff that was emitted at the big bang and has been around ever since. The particulate component then coagulating into matter as we know it.

Time itself was presumably created at this point too, if there was nothing before it.

At what point in time, has everything decayed and moved away from each other that essentially there is no longer anything and we've reached the big silence?

Ā 

In't milk brill.

• Members
20 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If infinity has no limits, and space goes on for ever, then surely there must be multiple universes?

If Kent could sort this out, I might make a visit to the one where the whites are Premier league champions.Ā 

Maybe they already have a massive telescope and have seen usĀ 

Keanu Reeves GIF

On 26/12/2021 at 12:25, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Ā 

Right - so........ šŸ˜

Ā 

The radiation that the telescope is observing won't be there now. But we're not looking at what is happening now. We're looking at what that region of space looked like billions of years ago. And because no region of space is particularly unique - we can get some answers about what our region of space looked like at about the same time.Ā 

The big bang definitely isn't still happening. The big bang is just the name for the event that kicked it all off, and only lasted a fraction of a fraction of a second. Then there was cosmic inflation which is when the universe rapidly expanded after the big bang (and is even more bonkers than the big bang itself in my opinion) where the universe expanded by a factor of 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times in less than a second. The equivalent of the length of half an electron expanding to the length of ten light years in much less a blink of an eye.

After that everything seemed to slow right down up until about four billion years ago, when something that we don't understand properly yet (that they call dark energy) started to accelerate the expansion again, albeit nowhere near as quickly. And as far as we can tell, the further away things are, the faster they are accelerating away from us. To the point that if you were able to look far enough away, they'd be accelerating away faster than the speed of light (apparently that's possible if the whole universe is expanding).Ā 

Whether the universe will continue to expand or collapse back in on itself in a 'big crunch' depends on how much matter is in the universe and the geometry of the universe and whether it's flat, tubular, or saddle shaped ( something, I definitely can't get my head around). šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Anyway - that's about as much as I've been able to glean from a load of pop science physics books.Ā 

On 26/12/2021 at 14:16, Tonge moor green jacket said:

OK, how do we know then that the radiation is from so long ago, it was produced everywhere simultaneously?

Because everything we look at in every direction looks identical. That's what the cosmic background radiation is.Ā 

Ā 

On 26/12/2021 at 14:16, Tonge moor green jacket said:

We can date rocks, via half life of isotopes for example, and back calculate by measuring level of decay.

How do they know what their initial radioactivity level was though at the dawn of time- going back in time billions of years some of these elements must have been massively radioactive. At what point do you know that you can't go back any further, ie another doubling of activity?

This decay is also, in part, sub atomic particles is this essentially the stuff that was emitted at the big bang and has been around ever since. The particulate component then coagulating into matter as we know it.

Time itself was presumably created at this point too, if there was nothing before it.

At what point in time, has everything decayed and moved away from each other that essentially there is no longer anything and we've reached the big silence?

Ā 

In't milk brill.

I've no fucking idea! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚