Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Space Dudes

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, Zico said:

how come aliens that come to earth are always naked

none of them are ever wearing "clothes"

Because their version of Eve didn't eat their version of an apple in their version of the Garden of Eden.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 25/01/2024 at 20:32, Cheese said:

🙁

Shot down by a Houthi missile. Bastards! 

In all seriousness though - this is very sad. As a species we're capable of some amazing things when we're not trying to blow each other up! 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

In a quirk, wasn't the space race started by the two superpowers almost as a tit-for-tat battle in the cold war?

If times were completely peaceful, would space exploration have happened as quickly?

No, the very fact rocket technology developed from missile inventions shows that. 
f we didn’t have the need to blow each other to bits we would never have realised that they could also be used to escape earth’s gravity. 

Think a few German scientists working on weapons in ww2 were recruited by America for the space program 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Which is pretty much what I said!

Well to be fair , you asked a question and it was a subject I did a project on in 4th year so thought I’d enlighten you with my knowledge on the subject 😄

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

In a quirk, wasn't the space race started by the two superpowers almost as a tit-for-tat battle in the cold war?

If times were completely peaceful, would space exploration have happened as quickly?

Read something in the past where it was Germany and the Nazi's who initially led the space race

Then once it was clear they were losing the war the US and Russis had a race to capture as many German rocket experts as they could and make the ones they caught work for them

And once the war ended the race was on to get into space and land on the moon

• Site Supporter
17 hours ago, Zico said:

Read something in the past where it was Germany and the Nazi's who initially led the space race

Then once it was clear they were losing the war the US and Russis had a race to capture as many German rocket experts as they could and make the ones they caught work for them

And once the war ended the race was on to get into space and land on the moon

Absolutely correct. 

The point being, as stated previously, that the space race was started on the back of military action and development. Doesn't matter who those protagonists were, just that it happened.

Once in space, there was a feeling of military advantage too

The same question: without the conflict and later cold war, would it have proliferated so quickly?

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

• 2 weeks later...

Talking to the bloke who works for me in Scotland the other day

His BiL was part of the team that designed the Mid-Infrared Instrument (MIRI) part of The James Webb Telescope. Once that was done and the telescope was launched he became part of the team that analyses the images that are coming back. It's absolutely amazing what they can now see. Have to admit that he lost me when trying to explain how so many previous theories about the other galaxies that are out there have been blown apart as the James Webb can show how much light "bends" and galaxies are bigger/smaller, nearer/further apart, newer/older, etc

One of his BiL's "Bolt-On" jobs is to monitor the temperature of the MIRI. They have to keep it at something like -260degC with only a small degree of variation

Just blows my mind that he does that from a room in a building in Baltimore that is a million miles away from the telescope. A million miles away!! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Voyager 1. Astounding to me that they were able to send a fix for a dodgy chip over 15.1 billion miles (way beyond the extent our solar system), taking 22.5 hours to get there, which fixed it from sending back messages of garbled gibberish to understandable ones.

Headed off in 1977 and still expected to be transmitting for at least another year. No solar panels, just a 'long term' battery. There are/were some properly clever people about.