Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Space Dudes

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Sorry 344 - and apparently they're called 'single point failures' in engineering parlance.

We really are a remarkable species when we set our minds to something!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/manyworlds.space/2021/08/05/the-many-ways-the-james-webb-space-telescope-could-fail/amp/

Ten billion dollars. Kinell.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, kent_white said:

A lot of money - but its relative.

The US spend $766 billion a year on their military alone.....

This might answer some of life's fundamental questions. 

I know what I'd rather the money was spent on! 🙂

Unfortunately, if we don't keep a viable military, some bugger will fancy having a pop, and then there'd be no space telescopes.

I learned the other day too, that the majority of nhs funding comes from general taxation of companies/people etc. 

The arms manufacturers here will be contributing a large amount to that effort.

Just think, every time the navy launches a cruise missile, or throws a plane off a carrier, that's another load of funding coming your way!😁

• Moderators
3 hours ago, kent_white said:

Sorry 344 - and apparently they're called 'single point failures' in engineering parlance.

We really are a remarkable species when we set our minds to something!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/manyworlds.space/2021/08/05/the-many-ways-the-james-webb-space-telescope-could-fail/amp/

A telescope that will look back in time to the beginning of the universe 

Fuck me

Another load of old tripe to explain deficit holes.

Captain Kirk went into space - did he bollocks.

No-one has.

Now man is going to Mars - horseshit.

Because they'd spend billions for someone to twat about hitting golf balls.

Some people are so gullible.

We took a photo of a black hole that's a billion billion billion light years away - but nobody's allowed to see it.

All light escapes from them so impossible to capture an image.

Those Mars photos are just the Jordanian desert.

What a crock of bullshit.

Space is more radioactive than Reatktor 2 at Chernoble yet so-called first man on the moon Gerald Buzz Alfred is still walking about and snotting people at 101 years of age - no ill effects at all. Bollocks.

Yet real stuff like yetis and their North American cousin the Sasquatch are denied.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Rudy said:

What’s the dealio with it Kent? How powerful is it? What we supposed to be able to see? 

The Big Bang.

Though it’s on E4 every day at 6pm and costs a lost less than £10bill

And Kaley Cuoco is in that.

2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

What’s the dealio with it Kent? How powerful is it? What we supposed to be able to see? 

100 times more powerful than Hubble. 

The universe is about 14 billion years old. And James Webb should be able to look back to what was happening about 100 million years after the big bang. 

It should also be able to take a much closer look at exo planets that we think might be good candidates for life elsewhere in the universe. 

That's two of the things it's 'designed to see' - but just like Hubble - the best stuff will be the things we've no idea about that we discover thanks to the telescope. 

The Hubble Deep Field picture was 5-10 billion light years away. And it's the most amazing picture that I've ever seen bar none. JWT is designed to see about 13.7 billion light years away and in much better detail - but in infrared rather than visible light.

It's phenomenal - that's if it opens up properly and works. 351 hurdles to get past yet though. 

To think we only had the first successful flight in 1903. 120 years on and we should be advanced enough to actually see the birth of the universe, or at least the first stars and galaxies. 

Blows my mind. 

It can also be used for spying on alien's tits to a decent resolution anywhere within the milky way. Answering one of the most philosophically important questions which has vexed our species since we were old enough to gaze up at the stars..... HBAAT?

• Members
36 minutes ago, kent_white said:

100 times more powerful than Hubble. 

The universe is about 14 billion years old. And James Webb should be able to look back to what was happening about 100 million years after the big bang. 

It should also be able to take a much closer look at exo planets that we think might be good candidates for life elsewhere in the universe. 

That's two of the things it's 'designed to see' - but just like Hubble - the best stuff will be the things we've no idea about that we discover thanks to the telescope. 

The Hubble Deep Field picture was 5-10 billion light years away. And it's the most amazing picture that I've ever seen bar none. JWT is designed to see about 13.7 billion light years away and in much better detail - but in infrared rather than visible light.

It's phenomenal - that's if it opens up properly and works. 351 hurdles to get past yet though. 

To think we only had the first successful flight in 1903. 120 years on and we should be advanced enough to actually see the birth of the universe, or at least the first stars and galaxies. 

Blows my mind. 

It can also be used for spying on alien's tits to a decent resolution anywhere within the milky way. Answering one of the most philosophically important questions which has vexed our species since we were old enough to gaze up at the stars..... HBAAT?

So what you’re saying is we’ll be able to see this lass soon?

240px-Lycia_Naff_totalrecall_01.jpg

• Members
8 minutes ago, kent_white said:

We can only hope. But it would be worth it at just over 3.3 billion dollars per jubbly!

In all seriousness it’s absolutely mind blowing I can’t get my head round it. Getting into space is due to marijuana. It made more sense 😁

• Site Supporter
54 minutes ago, kent_white said:

The Hubble Deep Field picture was 5-10 billion light years away. And it's the most amazing picture that I've ever seen bar none.

I’ve never seen this before. It’s quite impressive…

or it’s a close up of a high-gloss kitchen worktop under bright lights.

image.thumb.jpeg.6f907b738a04fda8c1455be9559d60aa.jpeg

• Members
1 minute ago, MickyD said:

I’ve never seen this before. It’s quite impressive…

or it’s a close up of a high-gloss kitchen worktop under bright lights.

image.thumb.jpeg.6f907b738a04fda8c1455be9559d60aa.jpeg

It’s absolutely unbelievable that photo.

It’s quite an injustice to even call it a photo

13 minutes ago, Rudy said:

It’s absolutely unbelievable that photo.

It’s quite an injustice to even call it a photo

Mind-blowing! 

And hopefully just a little taster of what JWT might be able to show us. 

I've got a semi already! 😁

This website is a cool way to follow the journey too! 

https://www.facebook.com/382651265048/posts/10159487123335049/?substory_index=0

1 minute ago, kent_white said:

Mind-blowing! 

And hopefully just a little taster of what JWT might be able to show us. 

I've got a semi already! 😁

This website is a cool way to follow the journey too! 

https://www.facebook.com/382651265048/posts/10159487123335049/?substory_index=0

Sorry - meant this one!

https://webb.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html?s=09