Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Space Dudes

superjohnmcginlay

22 hours ago, Rudy said:

@kent_white talk dirty to ne

what exactly is going on here, rather me just saying, “it’s mad that” in a haze of marijuana 

stsci-01evvfya7x23asyxfwh5ejgmt9.jpg

I was too young to truly understand and appreciate it when it came out 

The got Hubble to focus on one tiny little patch of sky, and stay focussed on it for a long period of time - about 2 weeks I think.

It's a proper tiny bit of sky - the equivalent to how big a tennis ball would look at 100 metres. 

This is what came out in the exposure. Every single tiny bit of light in that picture is a galaxy - each containing hundreds of billions of stars. And it's not just the big ones in the foreground. If you look carefully you can also see little blobs of blue against the dark background. They're galaxies too.

And that is a pretty low res version of it. There's a higher res version of it where you can zoom in a bit.

And the implication is that the universe would look exactly the same no matter which tiny bit of the sky we'd pointed Hubble at. 

JWT is 100x more powerful than the telescope that took this image (or series of images). 

Just imagine! 😍😍😍

• Members
4 minutes ago, kent_white said:

The got Hubble to focus on one tiny little patch of sky, and stay focussed on it for a long period of time - about 2 weeks I think.

It's a proper tiny bit of sky - the equivalent to how big a tennis ball would look at 100 metres. 

This is what came out in the exposure. Every single tiny bit of light in that picture is a galaxy - each containing hundreds of billions of stars. And it's not just the big ones in the foreground. If you look carefully you can also see little blobs of blue against the dark background. They're galaxies too.

And that is a pretty low res version of it. There's a higher res version of it where you can zoom in a bit.

And the implication is that the universe would look exactly the same no matter which tiny bit of the sky we'd pointed Hubble at. 

JWT is 100x more powerful than the telescope that took this image (or series of images). 

Just imagine! 😍😍😍

Gracias amigo. 

So say it’s 100x more powerful how clear of a picture would we be able to get of a planet for example 

9 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Gracias amigo. 

So say it’s 100x more powerful how clear of a picture would we be able to get of a planet for example 

I don't really know. I know they're going to be able to use it to look for signs of life on exoplanets - but I'm not sure how that will work because it's an infrared telescope and not a visible light one. 

I'm not sure if it will be able to focus in on something so small. I expect it'll be surveying large patches of sky to check loads of planets for signs of life - rather than peaking at individual ones, If that makes sense?

This is what a visible light vs infrared image looks like.......

https://hubblesite.org/contents/media/images/2018/21/4152-Image.html

• Members
7 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I don't really know. I know they're going to be able to use it to look for signs of life on exoplanets - but I'm not sure how that will work because it's an infrared telescope and not a visible light one. 

I'm not sure if it will be able to focus in on something so small. I expect it'll be surveying large patches of sky to check loads of planets for signs of life - rather than peaking at individual ones, If that makes sense?

This is what a visible light vs infrared image looks like.......

https://hubblesite.org/contents/media/images/2018/21/4152-Image.html

Yeah I understand. I know The Martian is only a film but the theory is the same when they looked at a picture of an area one day then looked again and the image was different suggesting someone was there. 

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Yeah I understand. I know The Martian is only a film but the theory is the same when they looked at a picture of an area one day then looked again and the image was different suggesting someone was there. 

I don't think you'd get anywhere near anything approaching that level of detail 

They detect planets by spotting specks of dust passing in front of stars on a regular basis 

I don't think jwt can focus in, it can just look further and beyond and maybe pick up on other detail/data Hubble can't

• Members
7 minutes ago, Zico said:

I don't think you'd get anywhere near anything approaching that level of detail 

They detect planets by spotting specks of dust passing in front of stars on a regular basis 

I don't think jwt can focus in, it can just look further and beyond and maybe pick up on other detail/data Hubble can't

Shit then innit. 

Im excited to see the first image 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, kent_white said:

Because everything we look at in every direction looks identical. That's what the cosmic background radiation is. 

I can understand that explaining it happening everywhere at once. Don't get how it says how long ago. Do they know if the background radiation is changing or diminishing?

I'm wondering if craft could capture this radiation and use it as a means of propulsion. Never run out, and maybe even hitch a ride in one of these galaxies that are moving like fuckery away from us. A quick way to get around.

I've no fucking idea! 😂😂😂

Me neither: that is what makes it fascinating and open to science fiction like ideas. Anything is possible! 😁

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, kent_white said:

Right - so........ 😁

The radiation that the telescope is observing won't be there now. But we're not looking at what is happening now. We're looking at what that region of space looked like billions of years ago. And because no region of space is particularly unique - we can get some answers about what our region of space looked like at about the same time. 

The big bang definitely isn't still happening. The big bang is just the name for the event that kicked it all off, and only lasted a fraction of a fraction of a second. Then there was cosmic inflation which is when the universe rapidly expanded after the big bang (and is even more bonkers than the big bang itself in my opinion) where the universe expanded by a factor of 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times in less than a second. The equivalent of the length of half an electron expanding to the length of ten light years in much less a blink of an eye.

After that everything seemed to slow right down up until about four billion years ago, when something that we don't understand properly yet (that they call dark energy) started to accelerate the expansion again, albeit nowhere near as quickly. And as far as we can tell, the further away things are, the faster they are accelerating away from us. To the point that if you were able to look far enough away, they'd be accelerating away faster than the speed of light (apparently that's possible if the whole universe is expanding). 

Whether the universe will continue to expand or collapse back in on itself in a 'big crunch' depends on how much matter is in the universe and the geometry of the universe and whether it's flat, tubular, or saddle shaped ( something, I definitely can't get my head around). 😂😂😂

Anyway - that's about as much as I've been able to glean from a load of pop science physics books. 

That’s all well and good but where does God come in all of this? 😇😇😇😇

1 minute ago, Rudy said:

Kylie has the arse but I reckon Dannii is partial to the ol bake well tart

For the uneducated 

7B95AC2C-A916-4A69-8471-1F8A3B694049.jpeg

Dannii is the smaller of the two - she was wed to some yank actor who was according to reports hung like a Grand National winner. So she's been broken already good to go. Kylie is meant to be a total loon.

So space shag with Dannii for me.

Maybe get Dannii Menzies off A Place in The Suns involved too.

Nah I had the opportunity for a double header once, in Sweden but shit out last minute.

I managed to get two to a hotel in Madrid but I was so pissed I couldn't perform. One of the slags nicked my phone when I passed out after clumsy fumblings with them.

• Members
1 minute ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I managed to get two to a hotel in Madrid but I was so pissed I couldn't perform. One of the slags nicked my phone when I passed out after clumsy fumblings with them.

After our UEFA game?

Doubt I could have raised a smile let alone anything else. I started drinking on the Sunday.

1 minute ago, Rudy said:

After our UEFA game?

Doubt I could have raised a smile let alone anything else. I started drinking on the Sunday.

I used to go regularly - including flights it was cheaper than a night out in Manchester...

It wasn't the UEFA trip - I took a bird then for her birthday via Dublin (spectacular - they were perfect) and sprung the 'surprise' "Oh Bolton are playing here tonight" two minutes after checking in to the hotel.

She'd never been to a match before and was traumatised when it booted off - got some belting photos of the whole affair somewhere. (The match not me nobbing her - I did obsessively take photos of her though, I knew she'd eventually see me as the scumfuck I am so wanted proof and wank material).

• Members
1 minute ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I used to go regularly - including flights it was cheaper than a night out in Manchester...

It wasn't the UEFA trip - I took a bird then for her birthday via Dublin (spectacular - they were perfect) and sprung the 'surprise' "Oh Bolton are playing here tonight" two minutes after checking in to the hotel.

She'd never been to a match before and was traumatised when it booted off - got some belting photos of the whole affair somewhere. (The match not me nobbing her - I did obsessively take photos of her though, I knew she'd eventually see me as the scumfuck I am so wanted proof and wank material).

Booted off is right. Got smashed off the policia right across the face with his baton (ooh err) 

Mate lost his ticket jumped the turnstile when the horses came galloping 

Still knocked them out. Paella eating fuckwits

2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Booted off is right. Got smashed off the policia right across the face with his baton (ooh err) 

Mate lost his ticket jumped the turnstile when the horses came galloping 

Still knocked them out. Paella eating fuckwits

Putting lit cigs in coke bottles and hoying them over - what was that all about?

Smash the place up.

My grasp on this girl was tenuous enough though.

She was distraught - so I had a word in pigeon Spanish with one of the dibble and we were in a taxi when the pigs were still twatting folk - BWFC and the Atletico lot too.

A mad evening.

• Members
11 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Putting lit cigs in coke bottles and hoying them over - what was that all about?

Smash the place up.

My grasp on this girl was tenuous enough though.

She was distraught - so I had a word in pigeon Spanish with one of the dibble and we were in a taxi when the pigs were still twatting folk - BWFC and the Atletico lot too.

A mad evening.

Atletico were twatting each before kick off 

Fuck knows why they started charging with the nags

They also eat at 11pm.

Odd those dagos adder

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

@kent_white aka The WW Patrick Moore. Say the telescope discovers life out there, would they have to tell us? Would they not keep it quiet?

I doubt there's a astrophysicist in the world that could keep the discovery of alien life to themselves. 

Even when there's a sniff of a possibility of a sign of life - it gets leaked by someone. Of we found irrefutable proof - I reckon the whole world would know within 48 hours! 

• Members
6 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I doubt there's a astrophysicist in the world that could keep the discovery of alien life to themselves. 

Even when there's a sniff of a possibility of a sign of life - it gets leaked by someone. Of we found irrefutable proof - I reckon the whole world would know within 48 hours! 

God the command centre must smell like the warhammer shop in summer