Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Lifts

Not in Crawley

So last week I was on one of those management retreat courses. Anyway, it was very good but on speaker was going on about the Busy Culture - the need to feel as though you having to be constantly doing something rather than stepping back and looking at the strategic development of organisations.

As an example he illustrated this fact by the 'Ding Time' apparently one major lift manufacturer has, in the last 10 years. reduced the time it takes to step into a lift and the doors to close from 4 to 2 seconds as people can't stand waiting around for even this short amount of time anymore. Going to far as to say that many close door buttons are not actually wired to anything, they are just there to make the person in the lift feel as though they are doing something.

I believe we have a resident lift expert - so is this utter bollocks or not?

All door close buttons are wired in the door close circuit.

All controllers have a door close timer, nowadays its all processors so just the matter of plugging in a test tool going to the corresponding parametre and changing the timer. Older panels have relays wgich are adjustable

The door close button bypasses the timer if its pressed before it times out

Most doors are set between 4 and 6 seconds to give people time especially the less abled to get into the lift. The timer on processors are activated after the detector between the doors is made up after its been broken by someone passing inbetween the doors

• Site Supporter

All door close buttons are wired in the door close circuit.

All controllers have a door close timer, nowadays its all processors so just the matter of plugging in a test tool going to the corresponding parametre and changing the timer. Older panels have relays wgich are adjustable

The door close button bypasses the timer if its pressed before it times out

Most doors are set between 4 and 6 seconds to give people time especially the less abled to get into the lift. The timer on processors are activated after the detector between the doors is made up after its been broken by someone passing inbetween the doors

This Malcolm W-esque post was brought to you by Jay Jay Schindler.

Surprised they never mentioned fuzzy logic as its named which is a programme to speed up traffic and reduce waiting time

Instead of having push buttons they have a keypad and you press in the desired floor, the controller then sees what lift is travelling in that direction and will asign it accordingly.

Cuts out people pressing up when they want to go down and the lift stopping in that direction

Surprised they never mentioned fuzzy logic as its named which is a programme to speed up traffic and reduce waiting time

Instead of having push buttons they have a keypad and you press in the desired floor, the controller then sees what lift is travelling in that direction and will asign it accordingly.

Cuts out people pressing up when they want to go down and the lift stopping in that direction

I saw a lift like that at the radisson is Glasgow don't see many. Being allocated a lift number confused me :-s

We have had them fitted at work and they are fucking shite!

I went in a lift in Dubai last year and I'm fairly sure it went up 30 floors in about 3 seconds.

Fucking amazing.

What the speed of the fastest lift on earth then Mr C?

18 metres a second, in that shanghai tower china, mitsubishi lifts. The best in the world

I saw a lift like that at the radisson is Glasgow don't see many. Being allocated a lift number confused me :-s

The Hilton on Park Lane has that system. The restaurant on the 24th floor has its own button too.

Edited by Exiled Girl

• Site Supporter

Used to work at Lloyd's of London just after they built the "new" Building with the glass lifts outside. It took them a while to realise that you could upskirt with the adjacent lift and they fitted a "modesty" screen on the bottom of the lift.

Used to work at Lloyd's of London just after they built the "new" Building with

the glass lifts outside. It took them a while to realise that you could upskirt with the adjacent lift and they fitted a "modesty" screen on the bottom of the lift.

I saw brigette neilsens crack like that, cascades glass lift sun city, I was working in the adjacent pit