Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England 1 Italy 2

DazBob

It was fuck all to do with ego's.

Stephen Gerrard at club level was the central midfielder in the country by a country mile and stayed in that position for England because of that.

Don't really know why your Bringing Beckham into it. Think his CV pretty says all you need to know about why people think so highly of him.

• Moderators

i'm not a gerrard fan

i think he flatters to deceive

but that wouldnt stop him being the best midfielder in the country

and suggestions he plays 50 yard passes to 'look good'

fcuking hell, how old are you

i'm not a gerrard fan

i think he flatters to deceive

but that wouldnt stop him being the best midfielder in the country

and suggestions he plays 50 yard passes to 'look good'

fcuking hell, how old are you

He does it when its not the best option, thus losing the ball or increasing chances of losing the ball and shape of the team.

Leaves me to conclude that he does it for the benifit of himself.

• Site Supporter

Beckham is included because imo the baggage he brought with him far outweighed his ability & the Captain having a seperate room whilst others share is not condusive to a happy camp during a tournament. Too many players having there egos massaged by the likes of Sven for my liking.

I think Hodgson played Rooney wide because he knew the Italians would have expected him to be central and have a plan to contain him. Sterling is a different pace.

v Uruguay Rooney plays central. Either he comes good or the Urugs kick him out of the tournament.

I for one....& there are many others think Scholes was a better player than Gerrard, still it's all about opinions

now agree with you, Scholes game was simple , show yourself for the ball, pass 5 to 10 yards move and show yourself for the ball again and keep repeating, but 50 yard pass that appear in highlight seem to be more impressive

• Moderators

who were these other superstars we had who could play this lovely 5 yard one-touch stuff to break teams down

cos, if you've not got them, you go nowhere, til you get to the bloke who tries the 50 yard pass to make himself look good

• Members

Gerrard constantly looking to bypass the rest of the midfield to ping a 50 yard pass infuriates me.  It just strikes me as an incredibly dated style of football.

However, I don't for a second think he does it because he thinks it makes him look good.  Anyone who genuinely believes that is menkul.  Fact.

Beckham is included because imo the baggage he brought with him far outweighed his ability & the Captain having a seperate room whilst others share is not condusive to a happy camp during a tournament. Too many players having there egos massaged by the likes of Sven for my liking.

Beckham was included because he was the best right sided midfielder this country had.

Name me an alternative during his era?

He was England captain for a reason.

• Site Supporter

I'm not saying he was a bad player but he was overly indulged imo, a Captain should engender a strong bond between his squad but him being allowed special treatment put paid to that. However that was the fault of a poor managerial appointment.

The guy didnt just a win a load of caps. He was England captain and finished our most capped outfield player ever.

He played for the best in Europe and won a gazillion honours along the way.

All those managers that picked him didn't all over indulge him did they?

I've never heard about him rooming on his own at tournaments before,but they all room on their own now so maybe he had an idea.

Sure as fuck I wouldn't want to room with any fucker whilst away from home.

All about opinions like you say but he never let us down on the pitch and I've give my right arm for a leader like him out there at this tournament.

• Site Supporter

The guy didnt just a win a load of caps. He was England captain and finished our most capped outfield player ever.

He played for the best in Europe and won a gazillion honours along the way.

All those managers that picked him didn't all over indulge him did they?

I've never heard about him rooming on his own at tournaments before,but they all room on their own now so maybe he had an idea.

Sure as fuck I wouldn't want to room with any fucker whilst away from home.

All about opinions like you say but he never let us down on the pitch and I've give my right arm for a leader like him out there at this tournament.

We've got Gerrard!.....See I never saw Beckham as a leader. Terry Butcher, Bryan Robson yes, they would drag people along with them but Beckham wasn't that kind of captain.

• Moderators

Had we had a proper forward during Beckham's time, we'd have done so much better. Fucking Crouchie was the best they could provide. Even the freak averages a goal every two games for England thanks to Becks.

Maybe Beckham should have wrapped a blood stained bandage around his head during that Greece game.

Facts don't lie,and the facts are a long line of England managers picked David Beckham as captain and he put the perferomances in to suite.

I've honesty never heard a bad word said against him by any of his ex team mates or coaches.

He does it when its not the best option, thus losing the ball or increasing chances of losing the ball and shape of the team.

Leaves me to conclude that he does it for the benifit of himself.

I've definately seen games where he's bought his own hype and decided captain fantastic would have to save the team, ignoring the simple option. That was 5 years ago when he could still run.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.