Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

The arse will fall out of everything eventually though

As long as billions of people still watch the game worldwide it will generate huge sums of money, ultimately the lions share of the money he will go to a few hundred elite footballers as they are the ones that drive the viewing figures

You can say the same about both the music and film Industry, both generate tens of, if not hundreds of billions globally every year yet a few hundred people at the top of that tree get the majority of the loot as they bring in the revenue

It’s all entertainment at the end of the day, i’m not sure why people question it in football but don’t with Music and film

Especially someone like Ginola who is likely a multi millionaire on the back of his career

Didn't make it right though.

Hartlepool are about to go under in the same week one man gets paid half a million pounds for a week work in the same league system.

It's capitalisation and some.

For the likes of you and me the game is and will be even more a shadow of what got us in to it in the first place.

But without that base, the game is fucked.

It's more than an entertainment business.

A great rant on talksport this morning by David Ginola.

https://twitter.com/sportsbreakfast/status/956076362061832192

He's right, the arse will fall out one day.

Listened to that on the way too work he is spot on the games fucked the difference between ourselves with a turnover under 20 million to Man United whos turnover is nearly 600 million is crazy when you go back 60 years and both clubs were of a similar size.  

Didn't make it right though.

Hartlepool are about to go under in the same week one man gets paid half a million pounds for a week work in the same league system.

It's capitalisation and some.

For the likes of you and me the game is and will be even more a shadow of what got us in to it in the first place.

But without that base, the game is fucked.

It's more than an entertainment business.

Comparing Hartlepool to the big boys doesn’t make sense to me

It’s like comparing a production at Chorley little theatre to the Star Wars franchise

On one hand you’ve got billions of viewers worldwide all buying merchandise on the other hand you’ve got a few hundred people turning up

I appreciate that you might get a kid coming through Hartlepool that makes it big, on the flip side these big screen actors all started somewhere

I don’t know why so many people get hung up on the money side of football, it is what it is. It might double in the next few years, it might drop by over a half. Why are folk getting worked up by it, especially Ginola ffs

Do people get as worked up when one movie generates billions of pounds? I don’t see a great deal of difference personally

Edited by birch-chorley

What the fucks that??

I had a read through how it works yesterday

Fucking barmy

You need a duke of Edinburgh just to understand it

The idea is to have less shit friendlies by introducing a meaningful tournament, however they have massively over complicated it!

The idea is sound, I’ve always fancied a 6 nations style annual tournament for the big 5 or 6 European countries. Think it would be much more enjoyable to watch than a friendly. What they have come up with though is far from it

Edited by birch-chorley

It’s like comparing a production at Chorley little theatre to the Star Wars franchise

On one hand you’ve got billions of viewers worldwide all buying merchandise on the other hand you’ve got a few hundred people turning up

I appreciate that you might get a kid coming through Hartlepool that makes it big, on the flip side these big screen actors all started somewhere

I don’t know why so many people get hung up on the money side of football, it is what it is. It might double in the next few years, it might drop by over a half. Why are folk getting worked up by it, especially Ginola ffs

Do people get as worked up when one movie generates billions of pounds? I don’t see a great deal of difference personally

It's meant to be a sport.

I had a read through how it works yesterday

Fucking barmy

You need a duke of Edinburgh just to understand it

The idea is to have less shit friendlies by introducing a meaningful tournament, however they have massively over complicated it!

The idea is sound, I’ve always fancied a 6 nations style annual tournament for the big 5 or 6 European countries. Think it would be much more enjoyable to watch than a friendly. What they have come up with though is far from it

I Have just read 442 interpretation of it

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/uefa-nations-league-explained-why-its-all-change-euro-2020-qualification?utm_campaign=featuretraffic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_term=editorial_organic&utm_content=stillimage

Feck me - I need a lie down now!!

It is a sport

It isn’t any less of a sport just because it’s popular around the world and billions of people are watching the elite end of it

Of course it's less of a sport, the whole ethics of throwing crazy money at it depreciates the game the higher the figures go.

Wealth is meant to be a result of success.

It's just too top heavy.

I'm sorry but I agree with Gonzo. When one player earns more in one day than the whole of BWFC is worth (stadium/hotel/training ground/players) the game is well and truly fucked!

Of course it's less of a sport, the whole ethics of throwing crazy money at it depreciates the game the higher the figures go.

Wealth is meant to be a result of success.

It's just too top heavy.

The money getting higher does not mean it becomes less of a sport otherwise it might as well just be about 5 a side football in the park rather than people enjoying watching the game

Wealth is a result of success, you can’t look at players such as Sanchez and say that he has not been successful. Billions of kids worldwide grow up wanting to be footballers yet only a few hundred of them go on to be elite footballers playing at the highest level. That’s a huge achievement and with it comes the type of wealth you get at the top of most sports of similar global popularity (Bonxing, F1, NFL, Tennis...)

Football and the Premier league in general has been hugely successful in gaining popularity across the globe. It’s bringing billions of pounds a year into the British economy from overseas

I personally think we should be embracing it rather than thinking of it like it’s ruining the game. Was the game really any better back in the 60’s or 70’s than it is now. I wasn’t there so I might be wrong but I very much doubt it

Is it just me or does anyone think the sad cunt is the one trawling through his twitter?

Nope.  Heard it on Talk Wank this am.   

Non-story really.

Perhaps though, folk involved in public life etc should not be having Twatter accounts?   Not saying that's right but if it were me, I wouldn't be going near it with a ten foot pole in his position.

It is a sport

It isn’t any less of a sport just because it’s popular around the world and billions of people are watching the elite end of it

Would you like watching boxing, or a similar sport, without weight categories?

It would be shit (well, from a competitive pov) as we all know the big boys would win damn near every time.

Footballs a sport but a very imbalanced one.  That lack of balance has made it so non-competitive (bar for a tiny few) that it's almost meaningless as a sport now, imo.

I get what you're saying about film but I don't think it's fair to make a direct comparison.

UEFA Nations League:

England meet Spain and Croatia.

Wales meet RoIreland and Denmark.

Northern Ireland meet Austria and Bosnia/H.

Scotland meet Albania and Israel.

What a massive pile of contrived shit. It's about time International teams/competitions were disbanded

i chose to watch big match revisited last night

was from about 76

utter shit

players were shit

pitch was shit

fans were shit

Football now, especially the Premier League (when it's the top teams) is as good as it's ever been. As you say, watch stuff from the 70s and it's just shit. Even worse, watch a game from the 50s, that is pure dogshit.

Naturally it's because the players are proper athletes now and the game is so much faster, but anybody who implies it used to be better is clearly looking through rose tinted glasses.

Would you like watching boxing, or a similar sport, without weight categories?

It would be shit (well, from a competitive pov) as we all know the big boys would win damn near every time.

Footballs a sport but a very imbalanced one. That lack of balance has made it so non-competitive (bar for a tiny few) that it's almost meaningless as a sport now, imo.

I get what you're saying about film but I don't think it's fair to make a direct comparison.

Not sure what point your trying to make, clearly Man Utd aren’t playing Hartlepool every week

Granted they can outspend Burnley but the gap isn’t as big as a pro heavy weight vs a pro feather weight is it, you can see that from Burnley’s results this season

If anything the money in the PL is a leveller now. Burnley will turnover £140m and can now pay the manager £70k a week. They could sign 20 players on £100k a week and still break even. They can get a solid squad together that can compete with the big boys on any given Saturday. That’s one of the reasons why so many billions of people world wide are paying to watch the PL

It seems to me, like most things in this country, anything that we are good at or successful with gets trashed and we hark back to the old days with a view of the world through rose tinted specs