Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter

Its a fair point you make birch re the money coming in via taxation.

I suppose its the far east paying shit loads to sky and BT.

Therein is another potential pitfall; what happens when the Chinese game starts attracting more interest from its own people; they're already spending fortunes on players and slowly raising the profile of their game.

As you say, the boom can't last forever- I just hope our football system keeps that in mind.

In all honesty Gonzo, I think you could quadruple the amount of revenue that each team generates and teams would still go bust as they try and outspend each other in the hunt for success. Its down to poor decisions and bad leadership, as we saw with our own team. We should never have been in financial difficulty given the hundreds of millions that came through the club but we tried to outspend our way back in to the PL and it didn't work for us. I've not looked at the details of Chester or Hartlepool but I would imagine its a similar story as they believe they should be playing at a higher level than their revenue dictates

In my opinion non league is flying at the moment, partly because of the success of the PL. I know plenty of lads who now go on Chorley regularly who 'follow' United etc, Chorley are getting 1,000+ on every week. In the Conference North play off final last year vs Halifax there was 8k fans on ffs. Half of the conference North are now full professional teams, that's surely not a sign of less money in the game at that level, if anything there is much more money in non league than there has ever been and the standard along with facilities has improved greatly. The issue is that for every Darlington, Stockport and Hartlepool going one way you have teams like Fleetwood, Burton and Forest Green taking their places. Its got nothing to do with the money in the PL.

Should money be shared out more equally? I don't know

We are living in an era where Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Brighton and Burnley are in the 30 richest teams in the world based on revenue. Tin pot clubs like that who themselves nearly went bust in recent history earning that sort of dough would imply that its not all going to the top 4 or 6 teams in the PL. In terms of the championship half the teams are getting parachute payments of circa £20m a season, everyone gets £5m loyalty payment from the PL and then the new TV deal is worth another £5m to £10m per club. Again, should be more than enough money to ensure clubs don't go bust if they are run correctly

I suppose the PL could go further and donate more to the football league clubs but I also see why they don't. They want to ensure that the 20 PL clubs are the richest globally so that they can buy the best players, that then drives the growth in viewing figures globally. If they took half that money away and re distributed down the pyramid then the PL would be less competitive to attract players and in turn viewing figures globally would drop off and the next TV deal would be smaller, meaning less money coming into the UK for either the PL teams or those below it

This current Bristol city, is actually the 3rd Bristol City. Pop twice.

The rules have been changed, if a club goes bust they now lose their league membership.

When Bristol City nearly went under in 1982 their 8 highest paid players tore up their contracts rather than have the club go bust.

The rules have been changed, if a club goes bust they now lose their league membership.

When Bristol City nearly went under in 1982 their 8 highest paid players tore up their contracts rather than have the club go bust.

Well, they will still exist. Just not at the level fans want.

We need to be more like the yanks, 1 division with regional teams and play offs then call it World Series

I've said for years this would work, and it's the only way forward, having a franchise system.

No way should Lancashire have so many teams. Get them all into one Franchise, say the "Lancashire Fusiliers" with the likes of Bolton, Burnley, Preston, Oldham, Blackburn etc all merged. A massive 200K capacity stadium built in/around Preston.

It's be rammed when they played the West Country Pirates or the Yorkshire Cunts