Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Qatar World Cup


kent_white

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

I thought Henderson had a good game excellent leader on the pitch never stops talking .

Proper captain that lad. Does the shit you don't see.

Just said on radio Kane hasnt scored for England in open play for 11 games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing that Southgate does is picks/creates an environment where they all like and play for each other.

I really fell out of love with the national team when we had the ‘golden generation’ I hated most of the team.

I see it as no coincidence that Southgate is delivering the best bar Sir Alf.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You forgot. Wales are shit.

The important point. We have drawn with USA and beaten two very ordinary sides. You can only play what has been put in front of you though so fair play. First goal achieved but feet need to be kept on the ground.

Senegal will be a more difficult challenge but I think England will overcome them. Then it gets interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
8 hours ago, bolty58 said:

The important point. We have drawn with USA and beaten two very ordinary sides. You can only play what has been put in front of you though so fair play. First goal achieved but feet need to be kept on the ground.

Senegal will be a more difficult challenge but I think England will overcome them. Then it gets interesting.

Whilst my quip was just that, it is true that it should get more difficult from now on in. That is the very nature of a competition though, and is the same for all sides. If we continue to play with a higher energy level we can do well.

That notwithstanding, I'm not sure about our chances against France in a potential quarter final. They've got some of the best attacking talent around, though I reckon their defence can still be troubled.

Senegal to worry about first though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

i dont like henderson, never have and i dont think im going to change my mind - i think it was v iceland when he finished me off

its alright playing him against shit like wales, but when we need 11 on the pitch, hes not the man for me

and, especially when hes not playing the defensive mid role

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Casino said:

i dont like henderson, never have and i dont think im going to change my mind - i think it was v iceland when he finished me off

its alright playing him against shit like wales, but when we need 11 on the pitch, hes not the man for me

and, especially when hes not playing the defensive mid role

He shouts a lot, though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Casino said:

i dont like henderson, never have and i dont think im going to change my mind - i think it was v iceland when he finished me off

its alright playing him against shit like wales, but when we need 11 on the pitch, hes not the man for me

and, especially when hes not playing the defensive mid role

I've never been a huge fan either ... but ... he was an integral part of the Liverpool side that won the league and Klopp had every faith in him.  Sometimes one just has to accept a player is more important to a side than one can actually see.

Despite Southgate spending every waking hour thinking about gays and blacks rather than coaching his team, he's doing okay and I'm happy to put my trust in him, even though I don't necessarily agree with his selections at times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
30 minutes ago, DazBob said:

I've never been a huge fan either ... but ... he was an integral part of the Liverpool side that won the league and Klopp had every faith in him.  Sometimes one just has to accept a player is more important to a side than one can actually see.

Despite Southgate spending every waking hour thinking about gays and blacks rather than coaching his team, he's doing okay and I'm happy to put my trust in him, even though I don't necessarily agree with his selections at times.

agree with all the above

 

all id say is that liverpool have better players than most teams

top level internationally, i doubt we can carry a player

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Does the dirty work

He’s certainly done well for himself getting the move to Liverpool and playing in a very good side few years ago along side the best in the world, would he get in a city/Madrid/Bayern etc midfield probably not 

If he wasnt English he probably would.

Folk wank over Kante for his running and dirty work.

Hes 4 times the player Pogba is too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the pub last night, having seen the line up, my mate and I had a little bet on which England player would have the most touches of the ball - I chose Maguire and he chose Stones. It was a close run thing, somewhat complicated by the fact they kept passing it to each other with Pickford occasionally getting involved in the first half but Maguire edged it. Just like watching the Wanderers for the first 45 - loads of possession across the back and f*** all going forward.

Hard to criticise Southgate's tactics really as it softened Wales up for a more attacking second half approach and he got a few squad players on for a run out. Senegal should be do-able but there'll have to be a a huge step up after that with France or Argentina looking likely for a QF encounter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Have you seen the list of players who have won that Cup !?!

Henderson has done a bit more than simply win a CL though. 2 finals as well. Plus a League winners medal and numerous other cups. All as captain.

Finalist of Euros and Semi of WC too.

The lads done alright.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Henderson has done a bit more than simply win a CL though. 2 finals as well. Plus a League winners medal and numerous other cups. All as captain.

Finalist of Euros and Semi of WC too.

The lads done alright.

Every team needs a player like Henderson or Rice or both they’re making Maguire look like a decent centre half .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was unpinned

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.