Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Donald Dead Cat On Is Head Trump

little whitt

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, kent_white said:

4 more years of Trump and wer'e over the tipping point to do much about climate change.

He can grab all the pussies and blow up all the generals he wants. But if he doesn't get the climate change part right - then it's a massive no from me. Everything else is a sideshow.

I genuinely think he will start to change his rhetoric. Seeing as we have announced bans on fossil fuel vehicles, and other nations are adopting other green measures, it will gradually become necessary for their exporters to change what they produce of they want trade deals etc.

That in itself will impact back in the US.

We all know he likes to play hard ball, and it works for him (China now relaxed tarrifs on more US imports), but as you say the environment "Trumps" any other issues and sooner or later his people will point out it makes economic sense to change.

4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I genuinely think he will start to change his rhetoric. Seeing as we have announced bans on fossil fuel vehicles, and other nations are adopting other green measures, it will gradually become necessary for their exporters to change what they produce of they want trade deals etc.

That in itself will impact back in the US.

We all know he likes to play hard ball, and it works for him (China now relaxed tarrifs on more US imports), but as you say the environment "Trumps" any other issues and sooner or later his people will point out it makes economic sense to change.

He's already done irreversible cultural damage in the states by feeding into the 'climate change is a myth' philosophy. 

It'll take ten years to pull that around.

Which is a shame - as he's dynamic and could have been just the kind of person to get the world moving on this. 

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

He's already done irreversible cultural damage in the states by feeding into the 'climate change is a myth' philosophy. 

Which is a shame - as he's dynamic and could have been just the kind of person to get the world moving on this. 

Ten years? Based on what exactly. It’s comments like that that make me scratch my head. It’s a throw away comment that has zero basis for justification. 
agree his comments weren’t helpful but exactly what empirical evidence do you have that it has affected climate change progress in the states or worldwide? I would imagine zero yet it’s going to take 10 years to reverse. Reverse what?

• Site Supporter
31 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Ten years? Based on what exactly. It’s comments like that that make me scratch my head. It’s a throw away comment that has zero basis for justification. 
agree his comments weren’t helpful but exactly what empirical evidence do you have that it has affected climate change progress in the states or worldwide? I would imagine zero yet it’s going to take 10 years to reverse. Reverse what?

You’re not that thick Esco

What Kent is getting at here is that it takes years to shift a cultural change.

Take plastic bags for example. Supermarkets have been trying to get shoppers to stop using placcy bags for 5 years and so far it’s been “fairly” successful. But it’ll take a few more years yet before it’s completely gone.

The proles are dense as fuck, you know it.

29 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Based on the fact that he's likely to get another 4 years - and that it would take at least that long again for whoever replaces him to reverse the direction of travel. And also based on the fact that he's pulled out of the Paris agreement at a time when we needed the world's superpower to drive is forward.

US emissions declined last year - but they're still up on where they were in 2017. And DT seems to be relaxing regulations on the big polluters - not tightening them.

So it's not empirical evidence - it's my estimation - based on being a reasonably intelligent bloke from Bolton who's not a climate scientist.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, kent_white said:

33 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I'd also love to know which scientific formula came up with 10 years to undo whatever damage Trump does with his words. I doubt anyone at all who go with the notion that there is nothing in climate change and those who afree with the scientists. I also doubt anyone from the belive side will change their mind because Trump doesnt agree with the scientists any more than those from the non-believe side will believe the scientists. Result is that inventing a time period to suit your argument may just be bollocks.

Just now, MickyD said:

I'd also love to know which scientific formula came up with 10 years to undo whatever damage Trump does with his words. I doubt anyone at all who go with the notion that there is nothing in climate change and those who afree with the scientists. I also doubt anyone from the belive side will change their mind because Trump doesnt agree with the scientists any more than those from the non-believe side will believe the scientists. Result is that inventing a time period to suit your argument may just be bollocks.

That's alright then. I feel reassured now I know that nothing the President of the United States does has any real influence. 

If it makes you feel better you can swap 'ten years' for 'a significant period yet not empirically proven period of time'.

Christ!

26 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Go on Bob.....you tell him 😂😂

It must be tough being a staunch lefty like some of those on here.

Trump shithot favourite for re-election

Boris in command for the foreseeable 

SNonceParty in tatters and court regularly

Brexit happened

What a fine week it has been, I think I'll have a wee winter warmer.

• Site Supporter
44 minutes ago, Spider said:

Take plastic bags for example. Supermarkets have been trying to get shoppers to stop using placcy bags for 5 years and so far it’s been “fairly” successful. But it’ll take a few more years yet before it’s completely gone.

Apparently plastic bag use went up a little recently, believed to be because bags for life are so cheap.

Supermarkets done little to cut use- it took legislation to do so. 

As for a cultural change in the US, a good candidate from either party could quickly change it, especially by legislating as necessary.

Unfortunately, I don't see anyone senior challenging the Don with proper evidence and not scaremongering. At least not on the news outlets I see.

It will still happen if other major countries become greener and push the US in that direction.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

If you put climate change evidence slap bang in the face of Trump I honestly believe he’d still refuse to believe, or he may believe it but wouldn’t let on. Not while he is in office anyways. 

I reckon he's perfectly aware of it. Just suits him to behave as he does for the time being. Trying to rebalance things in favour of his country, but this will shift as necessary.

• Members
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I reckon he's perfectly aware of it. Just suits him to behave as he does for the time being. Trying to rebalance things in favour of his country, but this will shift as necessary.

I’m sure him or his party stand to benefit off it in some way. 
The withdrawal of the Paris agreement was weird. I genuinely did not understand what he had to gain from that.

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, kent_white said:

No 

You've got to careful these days since use of the word literally went so mainstream

Watch yourself when speaking figuratively otherwise folk will take what you say, well, literally

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Why thank you kindly very nice of you to say so 

I agree it does take a long time for cultural change but I actually believe that the majority of people in the US don’t hang on what trump says and as such are not influenced by him. 

In the same way as a lot of tory voters on here would suddenly not give a fuck if boris turned round and said climate change doesn’t exist I’m not buying into the notion that the yanks are suddenly not giving a fuck. 

I just can’t see it and I think anyone with any sense is doing what they can. 
look at what I would say is a huge change in the UK and that has come about in the last few years where people are conscious now of climate change and a lot are making efforts to make a difference. I see no difference in the states with it without trump 

Kent as anyone is, entitled to his own opinion I’m just not in agreement and think the ten years is nonsensical. 

tbf Kent is one of a few I actually pay much attention to. And climate change he is very passionate about and that’s great and to be admired 

Edited by Escobarp