Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Supporters Trust - Foundation Meeting

Mounts Kipper

• Moderators

The point blank "no" as to whether they were planning to have a place at board level was a bit odd. How did he ever think that would be a sufficient answer?!

Thinking they may have enquired and be told that they will not be getting one

I was there tonight and, despite the lack of clarity on several points, it was obvious to me that the whole point of this trust is to be fully organised for when Sports Shield go bust - probably within the next 6 months.

This was a great opportunity for Sports Shield to forge links with the supporters - but there was no-one there to represent them.

The trust has made no effort to be on the board........because they know where this is heading.

The trust needs to concentrate on being fully prepared for the threat of administration within the next year.

I'd agree with this with one proviso I think the ST want to prove themselves to the new owners and prove they have substantial support from fans before even considering approaching the owners for a place on the board. One option I think the trust is already exploring is having some financial input with the new owners and thus gaining some part ownership of the club and a place on the board. The legal guy intimidated that the trust exploring this but would need to get legal assurances in place as to where the money would end up. Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Moderators

This was a great opportunity for Sports Shield to forge links with the supporters - but there was no-one there to represent them. .

I agree with everything except this. Last night was disjointed enough as it is without SS stealing the show. Who would give a flying fuck about anything else on the agenda?

If they want to forge links with supporters then they could do that without going through a supporters' group, rather than alienate people who haven't paid £10 and don't support this group of people.

I agree with everything except this. Last night was disjointed enough as it is without SS stealing the show. Who would give a flying fuck about anything else on the agenda?

If they want to forge links with supporters then they could do that without going through a supporters' group, rather than alienate people who haven't paid £10 and don't support this group of people.

Yes they could and maybe they will however don't we want an independent and large group of fans to challenge owners? Lastly folk who don't join alienate themselves £10 is no bar to entry if fans don't want to join that not a problem but they shouldn't complain when shit happens.

With Carlos on this - If DH had turned up last night - nothing would have been sorted with regard to the ST and it would have just turned into a Q&A about finances and Phil Brown.

The ST need this election to happen, and they need to elect somebody with the charisma to get people excited by the idea. Those lot last night might well be very capable in their own fields but they don't get the blood pumping.

With Carlos on this - If DH had turned up last night - nothing would have been sorted with regard to the ST and it would have just turned into a Q&A about finances and Phil Brown.

The ST need this election to happen, and they need to elect somebody with the charisma to get people excited by the idea. Those lot last night might well be very capable in their own fields but they don't get the blood pumping.

I'm all for charisma but we need solid people in finance, law, marketing, IT, to do the hard work behind the scenes and I'd rather have that in place first and I think on that side it's looking positive, maybe a charismatic leader will arrive via the elections and if it does the trust could go places. Ultimately it really is up to us the fans to make things happen not sit on arses and fiddle while Rome burns. Edited by Mounts Kipper

We'll see Mounts. I'm signed up anyway as I'm broadly supportive about what they're trying to do and a tenner isn't going to break the bank. Communication I'd going to be key for these lot to properly get off the ground - and for me, they're still lacking somebody with those skills which are arguably just as important as any of the attributes you've listed above.

• Moderators

Yes they could and maybe they will however don't we want an independent and large group of fans to challenge owners? Lastly folk who don't join alienate themselves £10 is no bar to entry if fans don't want to join that not a problem but they shouldn't complain when shit happens.

What shit? If folk don't provide support for this group then they have to pipe down and not have a say? I'm sorry pal but that's bollocks.

• Site Supporter

Lastly folk who don't join alienate themselves £10 is no bar to entry if fans don't want to join that not a problem but they shouldn't complain when shit happens.

What a load of bollocks.

I'm with cheese on this. Mounts, it's a supporters group currently. To say if you don't join up you've to keep quiet is ridiculous.

Also, the negativity about SS and the talk that it'll all go tits up soon is astounding. I hope it isn't sour grapes from them because the trust didn't get the gig?

What shit? If folk don't provide support for this group then they have to pipe down and not have a say? I'm sorry pal but that's bollocks.

We have seen what doing nothing achieves with ED. 2000 have joined the trust I wish more had joined but that's more fans than ever before in one group. Just out of interest why do you want the ST to pipe down? What will that achieve?

I'm with cheese on this. Mounts, it's a supporters group currently. To say if you don't join up you've to keep quiet is ridiculous.

Also, the negativity about SS and the talk that it'll all go tits up soon is astounding. I hope it isn't sour grapes from them because the trust didn't get the gig?

Yours and my voice ain't going to be heard bleating on WWs or to friends, I've no problem with fans who don't join up that's up to the individual but let's not have a pop at folk who are voluntarily and for no gain trying to take the club forward. Let's not forget this is a community partnership between the fans the town and the hopefully the club, it's astounding to me the negativity of fans on here and on social media, hey ho it's the standard for many Bolton fans though.

Everyone can have a say in any way they want the point is that we need a viable trust Just in case the shit hits the fan again & someone has to step in with a viable plan .

Merely having an opinion isn't enough is it ?

How many are confident that SS will succeed ?

Plan B has to be in place imo & would be better with some of the awkward squad from this site on board .

That's just my opinion.

Also, the negativity about SS and the talk that it'll all go tits up soon is astounding. 

I agree NB, it's ridiculous that they've been in charge for under a month, and folk are already predicting that we'll be in administration within 6 months. I get the feeling that there is a section of our support who would hate for SS to be a success, just so they can say "I told you so"

Yours and my voice ain't going to be heard bleating on WWs or to friends, I've no problem with fans who don't join up that's up to the individual but let's not have a pop at folk who are voluntarily and for no gain trying to take the club forward. Let's not forget this is a community partnership between the fans the town and the hopefully the club, it's astounding to me the negativity of fans on here and on social media, hey ho it's the standard for many Bolton fans though.

woah, hold on, I wasn't having a pop at them, you were having a pop at those not joining the group. And as I said, the negativity I towards SS seems to be OTT. Edited by no balls

woah, hold on, I wasn't having a pop at them, you were having a pop at those not joining the group. And as I said, the negativity I towards SS seems to be coming from them.

Really not bothered who joins and who does not my view is it makes sense to join. Let me make it clear ST are behind SS 100% however that does not mean that they should idly sit by by thinking all is rosy, the trust need to be strong in the event something goes wrong with SS and in a position to act if the club ever goes into admin as a ST has first option to put a bid in to buy the club should anything untoward happen. If you accept the last point is fact then it makes sense to have a ST they have already shown capable of mobilizing high wealth investor to the tune of 7 million if SS bid had failed. What have the negative doom mongers achieved in the same time frame? Absolutely nowt is the answer.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

woah, hold on, I wasn't having a pop at them, you were having a pop at those not joining the group. And as I said, the negativity I towards SS seems to be OTT.

If you read the comments on local stories in the online BN, it seems that negativity & criticism are the default settings for some Boltonians. It's like we're challenging Liverpool as whingeing capital of the north-west.

I edited my post to change it from just them as the negativity is coming from other corners too. Maybe I'm just n la la land but I don't understand this idea there needs to be a group ready to mobilise if and when it goes wrong. I know you hate ED but there's a reason he went with SS and not the other group and I really can't imagine it's because he wants the club to fold.

Though I saw some moonman LOV article the other day suggesting it's all a plan to be shit. Mental!

I agree NB, it's ridiculous that they've been in charge for under a month, and folk are already predicting that we'll be in administration within 6 months. I get the feeling that there is a section of our support who would hate for SS to be a success, just so they can say "I told you so"

I sincerely want SS to succeed & the ST to stay as a glorified supporters group that way it would mean the club was moving forward. However I am also in favour of the trust being able to take over should things go wrong which given our inflated running costs & SS's seemingly limited budget has to be a possibility.

• Moderators

We have seen what doing nothing achieves with ED. 2000 have joined the trust I wish more had joined but that's more fans than ever before in one group. Just out of interest why do you want the ST to pipe down? What will that achieve?

No mate, same point NB makes, if we don't join up we have to pipe down. Not happening.

I edited my post to change it from just them as the negativity is coming from other corners too. Maybe I'm just n la la land but I don't understand this idea there needs to be a group ready to mobilise if and when it goes wrong. I know you hate ED but there's a reason he went with SS and not the other group and I really can't imagine it's because he wants the club to fold.

Though I saw some moonman LOV article the other day suggesting it's all a plan to be shit. Mental!

You have 21 days should club go into admin where only a ST can table bid for for the club, if the trust isn't set up legally now you won't be able to set up a trust in 21 days therefore you can't bid for the club. Therefore if no bidder was found the club would be liquidated. As for LOV wasn't that article ment for April 1st. ????