Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

Dont know if any of you have seen it but wiggin have signed a young centre half from Bayern's reserves pool and in his interview in the local Wigan rag he says a couple of things 'Wigan are a huge club' plus 'I cant wait to play in front of all the fans'   now this lad is either pissed or the kid has been sold a right dummy and been shown rugby crowds and he hasnt realised?    

Edited by W.cramp

50 minutes ago, freds dad said:

Big chunk of Cardiffs budget gone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66071830

All very sad but the contracts were signed & insurance not yet in place.

Foot dragging of the upmost by all parties.

£15m. 2½ Gary Madines !

Nantes have got themselves into some shite here too. Run like a gangster outfit.

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

All very sad but the contracts were signed & insurance not yet in place.

Foot dragging of the upmost by all parties.

£15m. 2½ Gary Madines !

Nantes have got themselves into some shite here too. Run like a gangster outfit.

Aye 

Not sure why Cardiff ever thought they had a case for not paying up

It wasn't like he was flying in for talks 

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

McManaman back at Wigan for a 3rd spell, he didn't have a club at all last season after being released by Tranmere.  Another "its who you know" signing, with his ex teammate from when he was at his peak now his manager.

Yesterday's signings are a reality check for the ticpots who think they'll walk the league again.

The high earners will be moved on, their team will be good young prospects from their admittedly very good academy with a few average/past there best veterans for experience

Edited by Biggish Dave

2 hours ago, W.cramp said:

Dont know if any of you have seen it but wiggin have signed a young centre half from Bayern's reserves pool and in his interview in the local Wigan rag he says a couple of things 'Wigan are a huge club' plus 'I cant wait to play in front of all the fans'   now this lad is either pissed or the kid has been sold a right dummy and been shown rugby crowds and he hasnt realised?    

They are told what to say, same with our signings, by the way he’s been playing at level 4 in Germany, think he’ll not cut the mustard. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

11 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm not overplaying him, just saying he's a nailed on top half L1 starter, nothing amazing about that, but in comparison our 2 signings Dan and Cogley aren't yet at that level.  I'd say the same for Santos, Dempsey, JDB, Charles, Toal for eg - top half L1 players every day of the week, not impossible to see any of them in the championship but you may only get there with a bit of luck eg promotion or an ex manager rocks up there.  Not one player in our team would get a look in at Celtic, they're a very good team.

Correct me if i am wrong but Connell didnt get a look in with Celtic - dont think he played a single first team game

22 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

They are told what to say, same with our signings, by the way he’s been playing at level 4 in Germany, think he’ll not cut the mustard. 

We have never told a new signing to say 'I signed because its close to my house'  

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

To a point MK and we’re certainly not a mega club in the United, City, Liverpool and the like sense but let’s be fair, Wanderers are a big club with a rich history and we do have a big fan base, none of which Wigan have. Outside of the big city clubs I’d say we’re as “big” as anybody so I’m sure when players are coming here from lower levels they’re saying exactly what they think not what they’re told and are obviously glad to be here.

Just read the arrival in the Bolton news we’re evatt is saying though they have money it’s going to be a case of getting the most out of the pound they spend by investing in the technical side coaching and analysts . Basically getting the max out of the players we have .
This worked for big Sam so sounds like a good approach going forward long term putting more bricks in place 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, captainmed said:

but IE has his principles and we must trust him.

I don’t think it’s just IE. It’s Sharon, Football Ventures and the whole club approach, to live within our means and not be held ransom to any player or club we’re purchasing from.

7 hours ago, bwfc2003 said:

Correct me if i am wrong but Connell didnt get a look in with Celtic - dont think he played a single first team game

No he didn't, I only mentioned it to illustrate the fact that not getting in Celtic's team doesn't mean you aren't a decent player.  Its a stretch to say any L1 player would be good enough to get in the current Celtic squad.

47 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Saw this today. Apologies if it's already posted.

Florian Flick, returned to pre-season training with Schalke on Monday sporting crutches and a protective boot on his right foot.

He has  a metatarsal fracture like Beckham had I  posted this a few days ago as worried me, on the whole I think we are recruiting well and would expect 2-4 new additions before start of season or worst case deadline day.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

No he didn't, I only mentioned it to illustrate the fact that not getting in Celtic's team doesn't mean you aren't a decent player.  Its a stretch to say any L1 player would be good enough to get in the current Celtic squad.

Trafford and Bradley are plenty good enough

Id give Santos a chance as well

Not sure Trafford would get picked before Joe Hart right now.  I'd be happy for Hart to be our keeper now (even if he's no longer Prem standard).  Bradley is good but not convinced he'd be at Celtic's level yet, but as Mounts says he isn't a L1 player anyway.  If Santos is good enough for Celtic wouldn't they just sign him?  They paid £6mil for Carter Vickers so they could pay £6mil for Santos and we'd snatch their hands off (and I'm a huge fan of Santos, but recognise his limitations).

I'd stick with Celtic sign better players than anyone currently in L1.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Not sure Trafford would get picked before Joe Hart right now.  I'd be happy for Hart to be our keeper now (even if he's no longer Prem standard).  Bradley is good but not convinced he'd be at Celtic's level yet, but as Mounts says he isn't a L1 player anyway.  If Santos is good enough for Celtic wouldn't they just sign him?  They paid £6mil for Carter Vickers so they could pay £6mil for Santos and we'd snatch their hands off (and I'm a huge fan of Santos, but recognise his limitations).

I'd stick with Celtic sign better players than anyone currently in L1.

I'd be well happy with their strikers, but I reckon Kyogo may be off to the Prem this summer and Brendan Rodgers will be hanging on to Jota and Maeda. But Callum McGregor has developed into one of the best midfielders in Britain and would walk into almost any Premiership team if he didn't have Celtic flowing through his veins - what a player!.

They are a mix of Premiership and upper Championship standard players and Shaktar Donetsk aside were outclassed in the Champions League but hey - they were drawn against Real Madrid and RB Leipzig who would have battered most Prem teams.