Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Not in the league, and Collins beat him in assists by 11 to 1

All the while playing for a club that finished 17th

He looks quicker and stronger too

Not overly interested in assists frankly. They muddy the waters somewhat as they don't account for how a team plays overall.

Dion is our main goalscorer and that's his job- others set them up for him (if he's not doing it himself)

He scored more overall last season, the rest is moot, until they both play for the same side. Even then they will do so not in competition, but in conjuction. 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

No because I don’t need the money and prefer watching Bolton; not like you who doesn’t travel to aways but likes spouting on here. 

your just a prick

You could volunteer?

20 minutes ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Which stats you looking at?

According to Wiki.

Smith has 48 league career goals and 34 in the last 3 seasons

Collins  63 career goals with 35 in the last 3.

Fair enough, not much in it, was looking at full careers goals to appearances. Smith just edges it.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Your the trigger of wanderersways

*You're

If we're talking fictional characters, you're the Violet Elizabeth Bott.

Edited by Cheese

The Collins/Eanis stories could easily be us using the fact we are chasing 2 players as a negotiation tool, rather than letting either of the Rovers thinking they 'hold all the cards.'

I was watching the team warm up yesterday and Jerome was coaching rather than warming up. They do a drill where the players play a wall pass with a coach and then shoot. Jerome spent the whole session taking the coach role. Be surprised now if we do not get Collins but if we do get him need him to hit the ground running. 

8 hours ago, Ani said:

I was watching the team warm up yesterday and Jerome was coaching rather than warming up. They do a drill where the players play a wall pass with a coach and then shoot. Jerome spent the whole session taking the coach role. 

How many assists did he get?

3 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

To be fair I think Jerome clearly does something round the place but completely agree that’s as a coach and I think the playing days are gone.

7 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Jerome was also getting all the players together to go over to the crowd after the game.

Hes exactly the type of character club needs around the place. 

I’ve also noticed whenever he’s on the sideline warming up, he’s constantly talking the strikers through things, pointing things out to them, barking orders out.

Completely agree that he’s the type you want around the place. His contribution on the pitch is clearly not what it used to be, but he’s played at a very high level (and been successful), he’s got vast experience, he seems like a genuinely good guy who’s keen to help the younger members of the team and so I very much hope he sticks around in one capacity or another (as long as we have other options to score the goals!).

11 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Not many as every fucker missed.  His chances created that would result in a high XG was excellent though. 

• Members
9 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not overly interested in assists frankly. They muddy the waters somewhat as they don't account for how a team plays overall.

Dion is our main goalscorer and that's his job- others set them up for him (if he's not doing it himself)

He scored more overall last season, the rest is moot, until they both play for the same side. Even then they will do so not in competition, but in conjuction. 

Oh right 🙄

12 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

His goal stats don’t look particularly good this season

hes a few years older but would prefer Reid from Stevenage scores goals and a proper handful 

Al Hamidi at Wimbledon for me. 21 years old, 6 feet 2 inch,  27 goals in the last 48 games. Looks like great credentials.

28 minutes ago, woolli said:

Al Hamidi at Wimbledon for me. 21 years old, 6 feet 2 inch,  27 goals in the last 48 games. Looks like great credentials.

I agree Woolli he looks a terrific prospect but I suspect higher ups with deeper pockets will also be looking?

• Site Supporter
51 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Frankly, he doesn't give a damn.

🤣

Very good.

Didn't make a good job perhaps of my reasoning!

Mind had gone with the wind.

I look at Bradley yesterday- a hooked shot that was headed in by someone else: he'll get an assist for that, even though it wasn't intentional. It won't go down as a miss.

Frustrates me somewhat when our top striker is played down purely on the basis of a selected stat. 

Two different teams, approaches etc.

This Aaran Collins has scored FIVE this season; plus he isn’t being started now. We scored more goals in 2023 than any other year in our history so do we need another league 2/1 striker now? Get up with the four we have then bring in a championship striker

17 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

🤣

Very good.

Didn't make a good job perhaps of my reasoning!

Mind had gone with the wind.

I look at Bradley yesterday- a hooked shot that was headed in by someone else: he'll get an assist for that, even though it wasn't intentional. It won't go down as a miss.

Frustrates me somewhat when our top striker is played down purely on the basis of a selected stat. 

Two different teams, approaches etc.

Re Bradley assist. I don’t want to be pedantic but his hooked shot is a great assist. He probably knows a ball across the box is the best bet as he is unlikely to score with an angled volley in such a difficult position.  

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Re Bradley assist. I don’t want to be pedantic but his hooked shot is a great assist. He probably knows a ball across the box is the best bet as he is unlikely to score with an angled volley in such a difficult position.  

Each to their own.

For me it was very much a speculative effort on goal right at the death. 

You're own statement says it was a shot!

That's the point, an assist is quite nebulous, whereas a striker will also have shots missed goal ratios logged as well as his goals. XG and all that.