Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

6 minutes ago, tomski said:

Squad looks mid table.  How have you come to that conclusion?

It wasn't meant to be a controversial comment.  Mid table in league one would be a great achievement for a newly promoted team.  We might finish top 6, we might finish bottom 6, its hard to tell as every game is so close, as others have said we could have lost all 5 or won all 5.  My instinct is a lack of goalscorers will hold us back, the great thing is nobody knows how it will pan out in the next 41 games.

14 hours ago, tomski said:

Squad looks mid table.  How have you come to that conclusion?

It probably depends on your definition of mid table, it covers quite a lot of positions in a league with as many clubs as this one.

I'd have the quality of our squad as top half rather than mid-table, with us being capable of finshing anywhere from 5th to about 12th.

Our best starting eleven is a good one, but our strength in depth is where in my opinion we fall short. At least until January, I think we'll have to rely on being lucky with injuries.

• Members
17 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Think people need to realise most players in our squad have reached their limit L1 max  probably 2/3 who could play any higher

some Good additions and yes mid table is about right maybe a cheeky play off spot who knows 

Our strength last year was clean sheets, to get up this league that’s what we’ll need to do again if we want to get promoted. IMO we are far too open to be able to achieve anything other than mid table , because we will concede too much as it stands, and I think that’s because we have two attacking Midfielders in Sarc and Sheehan, that stretches us and exposes us a bit more than our back line is used to. 

• Site Supporter
59 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Think people need to realise most players in our squad have reached their limit L1 max  probably 2/3 who could play any higher

some Good additions and yes mid table is about right maybe a cheeky play off spot who knows 

That's it for me. We've been up and down like a brides nighty the last few years. Need a couple of years at this level now to slowly build for the championship.

Not a hope in hell most of this squad is good enough for a higher division

Top half for me would be an excellent achievement given where we have come from and what we have spent with the resources available.

we should have some good wins this season, but some defeats - we ain’t going to win every week.

a couple of years in this division is no shame and so long as we keep going forwards - that is and has got to be the right and only way.

52 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Our strength last year was clean sheets, to get up this league that’s what we’ll need to do again if we want to get promoted. IMO we are far too open to be able to achieve anything other than mid table , because we will concede too much as it stands, and I think that’s because we have two attacking Midfielders in Sarc and Sheehan, that stretches us and exposes us a bit more than our back line is used to. 

Exactly but it’s hard to drop Sarc or Sheehan; we are light in defensive midfield. 

• Members
12 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Our biggest concern atm is the poor form of Santos - he has lost confidence and can’t pass a ball over 10 metres at the moment. Baptiste experience is missing as well and not sure Johnson is helping with Santos 

He’s not looked himself but I don’t think he’s fully fit , Covid and a foot injury won’t have helped 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Our biggest concern atm is the poor form of Santos - he has lost confidence and can’t pass a ball over 10 metres at the moment. Baptiste experience is missing as well and not sure Johnson is helping with Santos 

He's definitely not fully fit, he's looked a bit one paced so far this season. Once he's up to full speed we will look a lot steadier. 

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Not a clue 

bit how many of Holloway’s Blackpool squad went D4 to Prem?

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Nobody on pitch could hit a barn door with a banjo Saturday 

Let’s put it down as a bad day eh 

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Rudy said:

He’s not looked himself but I don’t think he’s fully fit , Covid and a foot injury won’t have helped 

Not half.

The midfield situation is a conundrum as you've outlined, two attacking midfielders have both been good, but we're open defensively. 

I suppose IE may be happy to leave it alone, certainly for a while, whilst results are decent.

Whether or not he'd consider dropping one or a formation change to accommodate both, who knows.

45 minutes ago, Ratwhite said:

Not a clue 

bit how many of Holloway’s Blackpool squad went D4 to Prem?

It took 7 years to get from 4th tier to Prem....presume you mean from League 1, which they got out of in 2007.  3 years in the championship before promotion.  Only Ian Evatt and Keith Southern went from league 1 to play more than once in Prem.

We had quite a few that made the step up from 3rd tier to prem in the Stubbs/McAteer era.

11 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Darcy given a new contract, not quite moved on.

Sorry meant we have moved on to a point where Darcy is not in contention for first team (at moment, I really hope he improves to a point he is ready and Politic too)

Just think those championing him last season were jumping the gun a bit.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Farrelli said:

Bournemouth had a couple who did that I think, definitely that centre half. 

1 hour ago, wanderer1984 said:

Steve Cook

Quick wiki and this lot all played a decent amount of games from league one to PL 

cook, francis, Pugh, arter, daniels, elphick 

Don't think anyone did all 4 leagues, except Eddie Howe