Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Parliament

deane koontz

Are you blaming immigration for the pubs shutting now?

They're are more white British people in the U.K. now then there was then so surely they would still be thriving if it's what British people want?

Sadly for you British people want more from life than working all week, a chippy on a Friday then the weekend in the pub!

The leisure industry has boomed since the 60's with habits changing, look at how many more gym's, wine bars, cafe's, restaurants they're are now compared to then. Our interests are much more varied and that's what's changed, thank god for it as well as it sounds very one dimensional and boring back then

In terms of cooking, I work in FMCG so know a thing or two about consumer food trends. The amount of products being sold now are vastly greater from back then. The produce and food available is cheaper relative to income and much more varied than it was. It must all be going in the Bin though as you believe folk can't cook anymore. About a million hours a year of cookery programs would probably disagree with you as would supermarkets stocking everything from Thai Basil to Almond milk (I bet they sold well in the 60's)

Our food culture was in the doldrums for decades after the war, we were light years behind our neighbors on the continent. Thankfully it's come on leaps and bounds with a huge numbers of quality restaurants from fine dining at the top to quirky eateries littered everywhere

We have come a long way and I love it, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank many of the immigrants that have come into the UK, integrated well and brought our culture kicking and screaming into the 21st century

God you are a prick!

You seem to bring every debate down to your experience in the fucking mass consumer food industry you fucking work in. That fucking same industry that is more responsible for the ill health of the British population than any other. The same industry that fills mass produced food with more sugar, salt and high sucrose corn syrup in a variety of different coloured label and you call that increased choice?

As for the rest of your diatribe you come over as some suited up tory boy straight out of a Harry Enfield sketch. FFS!

And I am fucking right wing!

Edited by bgoefc

What was the average life expectancy back in the glorious 1960's before all the immigrants came in and ruined the place? 65-70? What is it now 75-80?

Strange how folk are living longer even though the food companies are killing us, compared to the clean diets of the golden age! What was it in the diet during the 60's that made everyone so healthy, ham egg and chips

You should go back in time and take your Mrs, see how she gets on selling Juice + down the dog and partridge in 1963

As for variety I mean we now consume dishes and food produce from all over world either at home or out for dinner, progress!

You and the other dinosaurs amongst us can moan about life all you want but you won't stand in the way of progress

What was the average life expectancy back in the glorious 1960's before all the immigrants came in and ruined the place? 65-70? What is it now 75-80?

Strange how folk are living longer even though the food companies are killing us, compared to the clean diets of the golden age! What was it in the diet during the 60's that made everyone so healthy, ham egg and chips

You should go back in time and take your Mrs, see how she gets on selling Juice + down the dog and partridge in 1963

As for variety I mean we now consume dishes and food produce from all over world either at home or out for dinner, progress!

You and the other dinosaurs amongst us can moan about life all you want but you won't stand in the way of progress

:lol:! Try freshly cooked meat and fish, fresh peeled potato and garden grown veg! Perhaps if we smacked your industry with the same limitations we put on the tobacco industry we might not see the level of heart disease and diabetes your lot are responsible for.

As for the spew such as pre packed Chicken Tikka Massala you claim is international I doubt any indian could stomach that shit!

Your idea of progress will have the NHS trying to cope with a Tsunami 

As for my Mrs.....you have mail!

• Site Supporter

Part of the reason for greater longevity is improved medical treatments.

As a greater range of food has become available so has obesity end diabetes etc.

Life is easier than it was for many reasons, but its back to the old chestnut of quality of life.

Depends on how you view it. The leaving the rat race thread shows just that.

:lol:! Try freshly cooked meat and fish, fresh peeled potato and garden grown veg! Perhaps if we smacked your industry with the same limitations we put on the tobacco industry we might not see the level of heart disease and diabetes your lot are responsible for.

As for the spew such as pre packed Chicken Tikka Massala you claim is international I doubt any indian could stomach that shit!

I don't have mail and I find the fact that you feel the need to direct mail me as bizarre as I do some of your opinions

Anyway next time at a Confrence I will ask the big retailers why they don't start selling some fresh fish, meat and potatoes. Your on to something there, a real ideas man

We should also get them to push some of the old culinary classics like tinned spam, Frey bentos and angel delight a bit more as well seen as it was so healthy for folk

Aye the NHS has a crisis on its hands as folk live longer but they wouldn't be living longer if general health hasn't improved, you seem to think it's gone backwards, bizzare

Thanks for the PM Bernard

Although I'm not sure how me and you having a 'straightener' will help us finally conclude the debate over the 60's being better than today

Even if I did think it may bring some closure to the debate as a new father I find the idea of a scrap over something so trivial all a bit tacky. Perhaps fatherhood has made me grow up, maybe you should grow up as well?

• Moderators

Thanks for the PM Bernard

Although I'm not sure how me and you having a 'straightener' will help us finally conclude the debate over the 60's being better than today

Even if I did think it may bring some closure to the debate as a new father I find the idea of a scrap over something so trivial all a bit tacky. Perhaps fatherhood has made me grow up, maybe you should grow up as well?

When I saw you had mail, I checked back if you had been in any way unpleasant re wifey

I've read it, re read it and read it again and I'm sorry, just can't see owt there to get the least bit uppity about

Maybe it's just me

#freshnotfrozen?

When I saw you had mail, I checked back if you had been in any way unpleasant re wifey

I've read it, re read it and read it again and I'm sorry, just can't see owt there to get the least bit uppity about

Maybe it's just me

I can't get my head around it either, think he must have had a bit to drink

The olden days were ace; Aberfan, Brady and Hindley, Mary Bell, Love Thy Neighbour and The Black and White Minstrel Show on your rented telly, six month wait for a telephone, petty gossiping/jealousy/envy and keeping up with the Jones's amongst your neighbours, paedos all over the gaffe, no such thing as marital rape, bell bottoms, brylcreem, donkey stoned steps and dolly blued nets and woe betide any slattern who didn't, paki, queer and nig-nog bashing, salad cream, Bernie Inn, Party Seven, pubs shut in the afternoon, closing the pits, strikes, three weeks wages for a flight to Spain, boiled to buggery veg and Roger De Courcy and Nookie Bear...

Hmmm...shite.

hqdefault.jpg

• Moderators

I can't get my head around it either, think he must have had a bit to drink

I'm basing it on them being thoroughly unpleasant person. Certainly they won't be sliding into anyone else's DMs.

Edited by Carlos