Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rule, Britannia

kent_white

• Site Supporter

Are the not as good yank planes we bought instead going to be ready in time.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they weren't

I thought there was some joint input into this plane, just checked, Britain contributes about 15% of the airframe.

RR make the lift fan in the "b" variant.

We are the only tier one partner.

• Members

Few of my mates do it on the rigs. 4 of em share a room for 2, night and day shift.

No way I'm betting in a warm bed where some fucker has been farting In it all night.

Amazed. Thought that would give you a boner.

• Moderators

We still use Xp to run programs from the 90s that we occeasionally need. Virtualised of course.

When we did military/aerospace software at uni it was in Ada, no fucker will learn this anymore. Kids are too busy doing degrees in computer gaming and web design.

Fuck knows where the next generation of proper software developers are coming from. Not this country for sure.

• Site Supporter

We still use Xp to run programs from the 90s that we occeasionally need. Virtualised of course.

When we did military/aerospace software at uni it was in Ada, no fucker will learn this anymore. Kids are too busy doing degrees in computer gaming and web design.

Fuck knows where the next generation of proper software developers are coming from. Not this country for sure.

That's my job

Inspiring kids to programme..

What could possibly go wrong..

• Moderators

Oh loads of kids can programme, just not in the stuff we need or where the jobs are. We all start somewhere like but we are having to cross train away from noddy degrees. I guess because systems programming is fucking hard.

• Site Supporter

Oh loads of kids can programme, just not in the stuff we need or where the jobs are. We all start somewhere like but we are having to cross train away from noddy degrees. I guess because systems programming is fucking hard.

Pet hate of mine.. hardly any teach higher languages.. all pretty basic.

Im not a programmer.. I can.. but I'm more the science tech side

If its not is BASIC anymore then I'm out.

Aye - I lost interest after they got rid of tape recorders to load stuff and the best you could hope for was to get it to flash up "fuck off" when your mate pressed a key. Of course, the fact that I lost interest in it had nothing to do with the fact I possessed not an iota (or even one byte) of ability in the area. :blush: 

• Moderators

Pet hate of mine.. hardly any teach higher languages.. all pretty basic.

Im not a programmer.. I can.. but I'm more the science tech side

You want lower languages, so you can uderstand what's going on when you write higher lever stuff. Eg folk learning Java and relying on garbage collection when using other languages.

• Site Supporter

Wow, I was actually decent with Basic, there's hope for me yet!

C is rare...

It's an option for GCSE Computer Science, but a lot of kids won't access it..

I reckon most do Python as the GCSE language of choice..

I'm clueless with C, I could learn it but for what I need there is very little point atm, and I have other things I need to focus on, as I'm no longer teaching Business Studies...

I think the problem with microsofts programming software(vb.net) and such is that it contains too much paint by number coding procedures. Connecting to a database for example. Real programmers should know how to program in notepad or ms-dos.

There's just too much programing with training wheels.

• Site Supporter

I think the problem with microsofts programming software(vb.net) and such is that it contains too much paint by number coding procedures. Connecting to a database for example. Real programmers should know how to program in notepad or ms-dos.

There's just too much programing with training wheels.

Whoooooooosh.

I'll stick to gardens.

• Moderators

I used to work mainly in Vi, now use Visual Studio, sell out.

Python is used out there, we have a product that BMW use in it, it's OO so transferable but still leaves a skills gap in the lower languages.

Problem with India is they see the wages in London and have no interest in the north, or move there later. We last recruited from the EU, that's out the window too.

Edited by Carlos