Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

Really? Don't doubt if for a minute. There are one or two on here who very clearly do and one of them has been posting this last half hour.

I've tried hard to understand this phenomenon and can only conclude it is because

* They affiliate more with this artificial political (previously just economic - when we joined it) construct than they do with the UK or England.

* They don't care about the anti-democratic nature of the EU and it's one-way street federalist project,

* Prefer to turn a blind eye to the economic stagnation it engenders through its deadening regulation and the cozy cartel that this regulation smoothly perpetuates for the biggest businesses, killing off competitive markets. Crony capitalism Brussels style.

* Don't care about the year on year failure to engage with the properly with the rest of the world

* Have no complaints about the lumbering immobility of not being able to reach decisions because 27 nations all have to agree

* Find it distateful to dwell on the bullying of anybody who disagrees with any element of "the project"

They say love is blind. It clearly is.

I don't love the EU so you got it wrong again. If you had taken time to read my posts rather than slinging insults out my argument is purely about we are better off in the EU. Edited by Salford Trotter

PH, just because somebody would rather "remain" it doesn't mean they love the EU

You're clearly one of those who can't understand that somebody has a different point of view to you.

I understand both sides, and would rather remain, for my own selfish reasons. No doubt you'll accuse me of being in love with the EU.

Are you still convinced the entire world will be offering us free trade deals with no tariffs at all? If so, you might want a word with the US who seem to not be on board with your utopian fantasy

PH, just because somebody would rather "remain" it doesn't mean they love the EU

You're clearly one of those who can't understand that somebody has a different point of view to you.

I understand both sides, and would rather remain, for my own selfish reasons. No doubt you'll accuse me of being in love with the EU.

Are you still convinced the entire world will be offering us free trade deals with no tariffs at all? If so, you might want a word with the US who seem to not be on board with your utopian fantasy

I’d think given the current relationship between the EU and U.S. that we’re in a fantastic position to get a better deal than the EU currently or in the future will have with the U.S. Edited by Mounts Kipper

I’d think given the current relationship between the EU and U.S. that we’re in a fantastic position to get a better deal than the EU currently or in the future will have with the U.S.

Maybe, maybe not, let's not assume Trump is going to give us a good deal just because he's fallen out with the EU and China.

We've got infinitely more of a chance of trade deals with most nations in the world than we have inside the EU. You just have to look at the EU's track record to confirm that. The only reason Trump cast doubt on the matter was because of May's moribund Brino Chequers proposal.

I'm quite sure that not everybody who voted remain loves the EU. But some extreme zealots do. And it is inexplicable. I'm perfectly capable of understanding that people have different views. What I have difficulty with is those who take that view to the extreme by trying to undermine the referendum result and hijacking Brexit. I give you Anna Soubry and Justine Greening in recent days. I give you Tony Blair, Vince Cable, Nick Clegg, Kenneth Clarke. Blind to the consequences of their stubborn failure to acknowledge that we voted to leave the EU in 2016. Utterly and irretrievably arrogant. I'm afraid is a trait in some remainers and it is a very poor state of affairs.

I’d think given the current relationship between the EU and U.S. that we’re in a fantastic position to get a better deal than the EU currently or in the future will have with the U.S.

Not if we abide by the common rule book we won't and before you say i am being negative it is a double fact...look it up

Okay i will save you the job...here it is

"But the White Paper itself admits that "in the context of trade negotiations, a common rulebook would limit the UK's ability to make changes to regulation…"

And that in turn would make it far more difficult to do trade deals with other countries like the United States.

It is often noted that the UK, as part of the EU, does not allow the import of genetically modified food, chlorine-washed chicken or nearly all types of hormone-injected meat - all of which are allowed in the United States.

The US would push the UK to change these regulations in negotiations on a future trade deal, but the terms of the Brexit White Paper would not allow it if the UK wants to maintain frictionless trade with the EU".

Edited by Salford Trotter

Not if we abide by the common rule book we won't and before you say i am being negative it is a double fact...look it up

Okay i will save you the job...here it is

"But the White Paper itself admits that "in the context of trade negotiations, a common rulebook would limit the UK's ability to make changes to regulation…"

And that in turn would make it far more difficult to do trade deals with other countries like the United States.

It is often noted that the UK, as part of the EU, does not allow the import of genetically modified food, chlorine-washed chicken or nearly all types of hormone-injected meat - all of which are allowed in the United States.

The US would push the UK to change these regulations in negotiations on a future trade deal, but the terms of the Brexit White Paper would not allow it if the UK wants to maintain frictionless trade with the EU".

The proposal in the white paper to abide by the common rulebook was removed and accepted by the government earlier this week.

The proposal in the white paper to abide by the common rulebook was removed and accepted by the government earlier this week.

Where have you read that? As far as i understand it still applies

The comment below is from a note post all the ammendments...

"Agriculture, food and fisheries

The UK’s proposal for a common rulebook on agri-food applies only to those goods which must be checked at the border. This is necessary to reassure the UK and the EU that agri-food products in circulation meet the necessary regulatory requirements.

This would remove the need for any physical inspection posts at the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. A common rulebook would also protect integrated supply chains".

Edited by Salford Trotter

Where have you read that? As far as i understand it still applies

The comment below is from a note post all the ammendments...

"Agriculture, food and fisheries

The UK’s proposal for a common rulebook on agri-food applies only to those goods which must be checked at the border. This is necessary to reassure the UK and the EU that agri-food products in circulation meet the necessary regulatory requirements.

This would remove the need for any physical inspection posts at the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. A common rulebook would also protect integrated supply chains".

Also in the white paper It states we could diverge from the common rule book. It’s all still up for negotiation and I would think once a deal is agreed that the status quo wouldn’t necessarily be forever once we leave. Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter

Just for information, I was told last year by a cattle and sheep farmer that I've known for donkeys years that below standard meet is imported into Ireland and labelled as Irish then shipped here.

No reason to dispute these claims, but if true then we're not exactly wholly protected from shit stuff coming in.

In any case, I'd prefer the government to stick to its guns over the quality of products we import, but if we do have to bend a little, then hopefully people will have the wherewithal not to buy it and let consumer demand dictate.

Also in the white paper It states we could diverge from the common rule book. It’s all still up for negotiation and I would think once a deal is agreed that the status quo wouldn’t necessarily be forever once we leave.

I don't think the amendments refer to the common rule book but i am sure it will all come out in the wash

Just for information, I was told last year by a cattle and sheep farmer that I've known for donkeys years that below standard meet is imported into Ireland and labelled as Irish then shipped here.

No reason to dispute these claims, but if true then we're not exactly wholly protected from shit stuff coming in.

In any case, I'd prefer the government to stick to its guns over the quality of products we import, but if we do have to bend a little, then hopefully people will have the wherewithal not to buy it and let consumer demand dictate.

That would be against the law then

Of course your going to have some people trying to break the law to make money, look at the horse meat stuff

It’s a vastly different thing than changing the law so ‘below standard meat’ isn’t illegal and can be imported and sold freely without risk of prosecution

It’s a bit like saying heroin is illegal but comes into the country all the time so why not just make it legal then, a bit barmy really

Edited by birch-chorley

That’s exactly what’ he wants us to think. We need to talk exactly the same way and call his bluff. We should leave our final offer on the table and wait even if it goes past 29th March.

Correct

Enough is enough

We should leave our final offer on the table and wait even if it goes past 29th March.

We've not got to our final offer yet, he knows it and we know it.

I'm all for standing firm, sadly though we've elected a bunch of cunts who are as weak as piss and who will roll over and offer up plenty more concessions to the EU

Edited by Sweep

Is he really or are the press being over dramatic as usual?

He’s just pushing for as much as he can, understandably

But, at some point, and we must be close, we’ll have nothing left to give.

Edited by boltondiver

He’s just pushing for as much as he can, understandably

But, at some point, and we must be close, we’ll have nothing left to give.

Agreed

They probably know exactly how far to push it and what we will or won't accept.

It's his job to secure the best deal for the EU, so of course he's going to push it as far as he can.

I want to thank everyone who voted for Brexit. I’m really looking forward to being marooned on a racist island with nothing to eat but shit cheese. You stupid bastards.

Great tweet :D

We’ve got magnificent cheese in this country. I read somewhere that there are more cheeses in Lancashire than France. Magnifique.